shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a mistake... Diamond too big??!??

mgh2017

Rough_Rock
Ok, I thought I picked out the perfect diamond but I've been having buyers remorse :( I've had the ring for a while but haven't proposed yet. It's a Tacori ring that I really like with round solitaire 3.06ct. It's right around 9.55mm I think... It looks great to me but now I keep reading that above 2ct diamond is tacky and impractical and I'm worried. Her ring size is 6 to 6.5 if that matters.

Some very negative comments out there about larger stones. I had no idea that 3ct would be an issue. I looked at some 4 and 5 and those seemed a little big. I don't want something that she's going to be uncomfortable wearing or that other people will think is tacky etc.

And please don't give me the "as long as she's happy" comments :) I get that, and yes it makes sense, but I have a chance to correct if I need too. And I do know it's relative and depending on your social circle it's likely different. Honestly it's not that big and for me the cost isn't an issue. I just want to get this as right as I can :)

Someone set my mind at ease or should I take it back and get something smaller??

Thank you in advance!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's necessarily tacky at all - I'd love a 3 carat stone if it was set how I liked it.
I would however look at what kind of jewelry she wears now as to whether it'll fit with her style - that might be where say, a very elaborate or different style would stand out in a bad way and make her uncomfortable wearing it.
Also looking at her current jewelry will help you understand if the ring you have picked is going to be practical for her - does she wear it all the time including around the house or is she a "just hen going out" sort of jewelry wearer? Does her job preclude wearing elaborate or maybe any sort of rings?
Also has she ever commented on what she wants in an engagement ring to help you know if you're on the right track or have you ever discussed it frankly with her? Can you go window shipping and see what she gravitates to or look on her Pinterest if she has one?

Q

Queenie60

Do you have a photo?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I second Queenie60 - do you have a photo? Settings can compliment or exaggerate the size of the diamond.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you heard of DDS, diamond shrinking syndrome? The longer you look at a diamond, the smaller it gets! ;-)

The reason you knew we'd want to say something like, "it only matters what SHE likes", is because that's the truth.

I'd look at social circle too. If the ring fits in, I doubt anyone would feel weird.

How about quality? You told us size, but I think if it's a nice quality, it'll be a superb family heirloom and you shouldn't worry about it. A poster on here gave his sweetie a 15-carat mega rock, that was a family heirloom. In fact, he promised with a smaller stone and gave her the bigger rock as a gift.

...is your budget such that it might make sense to give her a smaller, everyday, "wear at the gym and while doing the gardening" ring?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*DSS

mgh2017

Rough_Rock
Attempting to add a picture. Sorry I took one with my man finger :) ... not too big for me!

toobig.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that a tacori setting? I love it!

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I don't think so. It's not like it's a big brown diamond or that it's triple haloed up. It's an elegant setting with a nice diamond. Only you know her tastes, why are you worried? Because of what other people say or because of what she will think. Only you know what she will like. Personally I am from the UK but live near LA and I am used to UK quality tastes vs LA bigger is better taste and I think you have struck a happy medium tbh.

Evielution

Rough_Rock
Not too big. I have 6.5 size finger and 3ct round is very comfortable for me :)
But really depends on her style.
I would love a big brown diamond with a triple halo! Mine only has one halo :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big at all! I have a 4.75 finger and wear a 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) solitaire. Honestly, I could go larger... as soon as PCH shows up at my door. [emoji56]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...also, you won't receive all the negative comments about larger stones here. This is PS, not the [emoji219]... [emoji56]

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Societal rules and the opinions of our 'friends' can often be a bit intrusive, yes?

"The Diamond is too small for REAL love."

"That big diamond is too tacky, they are just showing off."

"Did he spend 3 months salary on the ring?"

These types of comments, and a million others, can drive our feelings about whether or not others are judging us. As long as you picked a ring that is a true and accurate expression of your affection and love - it is perfect. Be flexible, once it is accepted, if she would like some alterations or changes over time - that is the way of relationships. Rest easy and enjoy.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very beautiful ring. She will love it. It is not tacky, it is big and will look fantastic on her finger. Every time she looks down at it she will go "wow" and that's a nice feeling.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful. I have a 5 ct and no one *ever* comments on that - I don't think they notice. It is big compared to what my friends wear, but they really don't care. The setting you have chosen is classic and not tacky. It will be fine!!

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
I don't think this is tacky at all! The proportions look very nice. Also, with how popular halos are now, I don't think the added finger coverage will overtly stand out. I think it's a beautiful ring and if it were me I would keep it for sure :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, you did a wonderful job and she'll love it.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big. Looks lovely.

liloette

Rough_Rock
It's so pretty! You did not maka a mistake, you made an excellent choice! Lucky lady.

Bsmom

Rough_Rock
I tried on a 25 carat diamond, and that might have been too big. It's gorgeous. She is so lucky.

Bsmom

Rough_Rock
Also, some women are jealous and catty. The same ones who say that it's tacky would be so happy if they happened to receive one.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You are asking the wrong group. We like our sparklies :lickout:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each to their own, it depends on lifestyle and personal preferences.

It may not be practical for someone who wears gloves regularly for her line of work during the day, and she may wear the ring only for special occasions.

DK :))

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm from the UK, here diamonds tend to be smaller, although some lucky ladies in circles different to mine wear very large 'rocks', and I think the tendency here is moving towards larger statement engagement rings anyway. I love seeing these larger rings on ladies and try, without being too obvious, to admire them.

Scandinavian- maybe they are just so in awe they can't think to mention how beautiful your ring is, I think I would be :)

The ring you have chosen for her is absolutely beautiful, I would stick with it, it's the choice you have made for your loved one and surely she will love it because of that.
I have a smallish diamond and I love it, it was what we could manage at that time and i fell in love with it and its gorgeous, I'll never change it because it charts our history.
However if I was choosing now, with my age 'enhanced' and my body 'enhanced' etc-polite wording! I would certainly pick a larger diamond if I could, just because you get to see the cut and the characteristics of it much more than you do with a smaller diamond...maybe that's my eyesight too!

The ring you have chosen is absolutely gorgeous...please give her the chance to be delighted with it...if she really doesn't love it then hopefully she could tell you. Your life's journey together will change and enhance over time, with DSS and just the 'getting used to' what you are wearing factor I think it's a wonderful size.

I hope she loves it, it's from you with all your love, that's the most important thing about it.

Best wishes for a wonderful furture together.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely and a good size, I do not think it would be "too big", she will love it

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone with 6.5 fingers, I can honestly say that I think it will be perfect! I've tried on 2cts, and they just looked too small on my finger. It's gorgeous :love:

If she's say no, hello:wavey::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results