shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a mistake!? 3 CT Cushion cut

sunshine2021

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am new here and would love your expert opinions on cushion cuts!

I had an opportunity to upgrade my stone. I used to have a 1.9 Ct cushion cut with the crushed ice look before I knew anything about cushion cuts. Hubby bought me another wedding band and so we found ourselves back at the jeweler and next thing you know I was looking at new stones. I was wanting a brilliant cushion with the bigger facets that performed more like a round. Most of what I saw was still crushed ice but there was one that was beautiful looking and we went for it.

I love the way the stone looks but I am worried about overall light performance. After researching the dimensions it looks like it is cut a little deep at 69%

Specs are here and it is GIA rated:
Cushion Modified Brilliant 8.41x8.27x5.75
3.01 carats
H, S1
62% table, 69.5% depth
Girdle: med - very thick (faceted)
Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Fluroescence: none

I have no Aset

It also looks very dark in the sun.
Pics attached.

PXL_20210609_001935963.jpg PXL_20210609_235116959.jpg PXL_20210609_033610672.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210609_000621179.jpg
    PXL_20210609_000621179.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 22

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
The PriceScope guide recommends under 70 on table and
depth, so you may be ok. It is very pretty! Hopefully someone who is an expert on cushions will chime in.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go off the numbers for fancy shapes the way you can for rounds. You're the one seeing it in person: does it look good to you? In the pictures, it looks good to me!

It is common for diamonds to look dark in the sun. Search it on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads about it.

sunshine2021

Rough_Rock
Closeups attached
The PriceScope guide recommends under 70 on table and
depth, so you may be ok. It is very pretty! Hopefully someone who is an expert on cushions will chime in.

Thank you!!

sunshine2021

Rough_Rock
You can't go off the numbers for fancy shapes the way you can for rounds. You're the one seeing it in person: does it look good to you? In the pictures, it looks good to me!

It is common for diamonds to look dark in the sun. Search it on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads about it.

Thank you!! Yes it looks good to me most of the time but in some lights it looks a little flat, like it doesn't stand out much. That was also the problem with my old stone. I keep chasing the look of the round. Probably should have gotten one of those instead!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! Yes it looks good to me most of the time but in some lights it looks a little flat, like it doesn't stand out much. That was also the problem with my old stone. I keep chasing the look of the round. Probably should have gotten one of those instead!!

Have you seen ideal cut round brilliants in all lighting? There are definitely lighting situations where they are less sparkly than others. Like we all know that big box store or stadium lights make everything super sparkly - likewise there are some situations where they are less sparkly and just a flat white (or whatever color). Perhaps buy a small like half carat ideal cut round in a super simple setting you could wear around to compare?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Your ring looks pretty. I’m not an expert on cushions but I wanted to say nice cookies.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks pretty! Even my ideal cut rounds can look dark sometimes.

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
It looks bright, and going dark in the sun is indicative of a well cut stone. I rarely follow numbers when searching for cushions, I find "good" cut symmetry are very beautiful sometimes! It all depends on what is pleasing to your eyes- but looks like a sparkler! Cheers!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It actually looks quite nice to me! Im not a cushion cut expert I bet you’ll find it performs much more nicely than a crushed ice look

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s gorgeous! Enjoy it. Looks great on you. Size is perfect. Beautiful bands. Congrats and feel good about your decision.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote to say it looks pretty spectacular to me! It looks like a great performer & looks beautiful with your bands!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results