shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I find my reception dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
We are having a casual backyard gathering as a reception and it should turn into a pretty serious party, given our friends and family. FI has decided that he wants to wear his suit through dinner, but will change after dinner to a more business causal look. I wasn''t planning on two dresses, but, I''m not going to complain if I have to get one.

I went to a bridal shop this afternoon to look at some bridesmaid dresses that could serve as a reception dress, because I want something more casual. I found a few that I loved online, like the Siri Vivian Leigh, the Siri Natasha, the Siri Avignon, and the Vineyard 1501.

After I tried them on, I still liked some of the ones I went to try on, but I feel in love with this Vera Wang maids. I am not feeling it as much in the pictures, so I am interested in hearing what you think. I would order it in ivory.

Also, sorry to not have pics of the others. I was only able to sneak pics of this one when someone stopped in during my appointment to schedule one for herself. It was a no-pic salon.

kat.reception.dress1.JPG

katamari

Ideal_Rock
One more.

ETA: The bow was in the back here. You could either tie it a the shoulder or at the back of the neck. I like it better on the side.

Here it is on a toothpick model.

kat.reception.dress2.JPG

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to be honest with you...I''m not digging the brown one much at all. It doesnt look bad (your to cute for it to look bad, especally with the kitty head! Are you planning on having that on too, lol)

But, saying that, I think you should go to a salon and keep looking (one that allows pics). the first link didnt work well for me, but the one with the thin straps I like the second link better.

Saying that though, I think it would look MUCH MUCH MUCH better in ivory. The dress is cute, but even though your going for casual...it looks like a beach cover up. Please dont stone me (because you said you loved it) but I''m trying to give my 2cents here.

I''m much more of a visual person, maybe one of our photoshop experts can turn it to ivory and I bet I''d change my mind.

Please dont stone me!
17.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I like the dress... but I''m not sure that I love it on you. Was it too big? Because it looks sort of like it''s swimming in you a little bit. I think if it fit better it would be a lot more flattering. I also think that it''s a tad bit too long. Hmmm, but then again I also have trouble seeing past the brown.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, maybe I''m smoking crack given that I seem to be in the minority here but when I saw that first pic I thought "YES" as in, yes, you did find your reception dress!!!

It is SO super cute on you. I think that it is perfect, truly! Maybe the sizing is a little off but I think that when you are all done up and it''s fitted perfectly and you are rockin some fab shoes.... that it will be the one.

I''m not sure about the price point on that one but if you really like it and would like something similar but possibly for a little less, you might like this one by Melissa Sweet, style# MS128 click here

or if you are still not sold on this one ... when I saw you in this dress and loved it so much, for some reason I automatically thought of this dress that I saw last night and thought that it might be your style.
It''s super cute too. I might be totally off so if you hate it ... no worries.
Watters bridesmaids style# 4423, click here

So exciting about the reception! Sounds like it will be a really good time!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I think the idea of the Vera Wang dress is very cute, but (to be frank, if I may) something gets lost in the execution. I'm having a hard time coming up with words to describe what it is about the dress that is making me not love it, and the best explanation I can come up with is that it just seems to just hang on you and doesn't give you any definition, if that makes sense. The ruching (or whatever you would call the loose pleating on the front) just looks a bit baggy rather than being an interesting detail. Is this the size you would get, or is this dress too large for you? Because if it's too big, then that may be mostly what I'm reacting to (as others have already mentioned).

I like how the Siri dresses would all be more open in the neck/chest area on you. Did none of them look amazing on? Don't you hate salons that don't let you take photos? Anyhow, good luck on your dress hunt!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that I also really like the Vineyard Collection style# 1501 that you posted and # 1510 ... similar idea/style. Both great dresses!
The satin yoryu is amazing too .. I love that material but might be biased since our bm dress is Vineyard style# 1302 in the same material.
2.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
katamari, from what I can see, you have a great figure and to be honest (IMO), the dress, while I really like it, doesn''t do as much as it could for your curves. It could just be you need a smaller size...not sure.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
If you like that style, I think this Melissa Sweet flows better. It''s my first choice for my bridesmaids.
http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=50&sfid=50495

melissa sweet bm.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:20:11 PM
Author: redrose229
I have to be honest with you...I''m not digging the brown one much at all. It doesnt look bad (your to cute for it to look bad, especally with the kitty head! Are you planning on having that on too, lol)

But, saying that, I think you should go to a salon and keep looking (one that allows pics). the first link didnt work well for me, but the one with the thin straps I like the second link better.

Saying that though, I think it would look MUCH MUCH MUCH better in ivory. The dress is cute, but even though your going for casual...it looks like a beach cover up. Please dont stone me (because you said you loved it) but I''m trying to give my 2cents here.

I''m much more of a visual person, maybe one of our photoshop experts can turn it to ivory and I bet I''d change my mind.

Please dont stone me!
17.gif

Please don''t feel bad! I would much rather hear it now than at or after the reception! I did love it at the store, but was feeling very "meh" about it when looking at the pics later. I also hate this color on me and wish they would have had a sample in ivory. I have lots of time to keep looking--in fact, they told me they wouldn''t even order it until May if I did decide on this one.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:43:43 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
I like the dress... but I''m not sure that I love it on you. Was it too big? Because it looks sort of like it''s swimming in you a little bit. I think if it fit better it would be a lot more flattering. I also think that it''s a tad bit too long. Hmmm, but then again I also have trouble seeing past the brown.

It was a bit too big--probably a size, maybe two. And, I agree that the brown is awful. Thanks for the feedback!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:55:29 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Okay, maybe I''m smoking crack given that I seem to be in the minority here but when I saw that first pic I thought ''YES'' as in, yes, you did find your reception dress!!!

It is SO super cute on you. I think that it is perfect, truly! Maybe the sizing is a little off but I think that when you are all done up and it''s fitted perfectly and you are rockin some fab shoes.... that it will be the one.

I''m not sure about the price point on that one but if you really like it and would like something similar but possibly for a little less, you might like this one by Melissa Sweet, style# MS128 click here

or if you are still not sold on this one ... when I saw you in this dress and loved it so much, for some reason I automatically thought of this dress that I saw last night and thought that it might be your style.

It''s super cute too. I might be totally off so if you hate it ... no worries.

Thanks, Spark! I do love the dress, and think that I could definitely see myself wearing it--just maybe not for the reception.

I do love the Watters dress, though. You totally get my style!
36.gif
I love vintage, but much more 40s than any other era and this dress screams 40s. I like the option to integrate color, too, though I am not sure I would. Plus, it would allow me to wear a bra and show off my waist. I am definitely going to hunt it down!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:56:10 PM
Author: havernell
I think the idea of the Vera Wang dress is very cute, but (to be frank, if I may) something gets lost in the execution. I''m having a hard time coming up with words to describe what it is about the dress that is making me not love it, and the best explanation I can come up with is that it just seems to just hang on you and doesn''t give you any definition, if that makes sense. The ruching (or whatever you would call the loose pleating on the front) just looks a bit baggy rather than being an interesting detail. Is this the size you would get, or is this dress too large for you? Because if it''s too big, then that may be mostly what I''m reacting to (as others have already mentioned).

I like how the Siri dresses would all be more open in the neck/chest area on you. Did none of them look amazing on? Don''t you hate salons that don''t let you take photos? Anyhow, good luck on your dress hunt!

Yes! Salons that don''t allow pictures are the worst! I would almost pay them to be allowed to take pics.

I do have to be careful about rouching in the bust, since I am large chested. I actually liked all the Siri dresses, and went to the salon knowing I was going to buy the
Natasha, but I was a little too boob-tastic in it. I am a very conservative dresser and it made me feel a little slu++y. (In a baby doll dress. It seems impossible, right?).

The Vivian Leigh was glam and amazing, but I was worried about keeping the off-the-shoulder look through dancing and partying.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:12:17 AM
Author: Bia
katamari, from what I can see, you have a great figure and to be honest (IMO), the dress, while I really like it, doesn''t do as much as it could for your curves. It could just be you need a smaller size...not sure.

Thanks, Bia! I do have a tendency to hide in clothes. Maybe I should take this opportunity to rock it!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:28:59 AM
Author: lisamarie
If you like that style, I think this Melissa Sweet flows better. It''s my first choice for my bridesmaids.

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=50&sfid=50495

I actually tried this one on, too! Unfortunately, they don''t offer it in white or ivory--silver would the closest option. But, it looked great on, and I think it would be awesome for your BMs!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:09:06 AM
Author: katamari

Date: 3/11/2009 11:55:29 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Okay, maybe I'm smoking crack given that I seem to be in the minority here but when I saw that first pic I thought 'YES' as in, yes, you did find your reception dress!!!

It is SO super cute on you. I think that it is perfect, truly! Maybe the sizing is a little off but I think that when you are all done up and it's fitted perfectly and you are rockin some fab shoes.... that it will be the one.

I'm not sure about the price point on that one but if you really like it and would like something similar but possibly for a little less, you might like this one by Melissa Sweet, style# MS128 click here

It's super cute too. I might be totally off so if you hate it ... no worries.

Thanks, Spark! I do love the dress, and think that I could definitely see myself wearing it--just maybe not for the reception.

I do love the Watters dress, though. You totally get my style!
36.gif
I love vintage, but much more 40s than any other era and this dress screams 40s. I like the option to integrate color, too, though I am not sure I would. Plus, it would allow me to wear a bra and show off my waist. I am definitely going to hunt it down!
Oh Katamari ... sorry about that. The link didn't work! Boo!

MS128 is this dress ... You were probably thinking ... WTF? I'm not going to wear a wedding dress to my casual backyard reception ... I was just lazy to post the pic.

Glad you like the Watters one! yay!! Please let us know if you track it down! If you go to the Watters website, you'll see that they have a lot of nice dress selections.

FWIW - I still love your choice. I think it will look stunning on you ... I love it in the close up picture b/c it looks more fitted on you than does the far away picture.

eta - Yay to being able to wear a bra!! Seriously, I keep trying to find dresses that are cute and not strapless but it seems to be getting increasingly challenging.

I can't wait to see what you choose!

katamarims128.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I am not loving it on you. Sorry
40.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 5:32:46 AM
Author: honey22
40.gif

ditto. I think that you could get something far nicer.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Vivian Leigh because it has more structure, a more defined waist with a skirt that floats. It also looks like more fun for dancing! I think that if the shoulders are fit properly, they shouldn''t be a problem for dancing.

I think, too, that if you keep looking, you will be able to find something that isn''t off the shoulder (if that is a big worry,) but has more structure to it, so it''s more flattering. I have a feeling the Vera Wang doesn''t do much for anyone who wears it.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I don''t love it either. FWIW, I love the Siri dresses (almost all of them!) and I chose the Harvard dress in olive silk dupioni for my bridesmaids...they seemed very happy with them.

Are there any others in the Siri line that you like? If you feel a little exposed in the Natasha and I agree that the Vivian Leigh might be restrictive in the arms.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I liked it in the close up pic, but then in the far away, it doesn''t do much for your figure. Is it too big on you? You have a great body, and I think that you can find something that flatters you a lot more. Though if it is too large on you in the pic, all of that could change!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:56:10 PM
Author: havernell
I think the idea of the Vera Wang dress is very cute, but (to be frank, if I may) something gets lost in the execution. I''m having a hard time coming up with words to describe what it is about the dress that is making me not love it, and the best explanation I can come up with is that it just seems to just hang on you and doesn''t give you any definition, if that makes sense. The ruching (or whatever you would call the loose pleating on the front) just looks a bit baggy rather than being an interesting detail. Is this the size you would get, or is this dress too large for you? Because if it''s too big, then that may be mostly what I''m reacting to (as others have already mentioned).
My thoughts exactly. I *think* it''s because the fabric doesn''t have a soft drape to it. I looks to me to be a starchy-cotton, if that makes sense to you.

LS

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others that it doesn''t do as much for your body as it could. I really love the Vineyard #1501. It just speaks to me.

Do you have a little more time to look around? What color do you want to end up with ultimately?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Spark - I think that dress is adorable - cute and fun, and it suits you really well
1.gif

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Hi Katamari,

Like all the other posters I am not in love with in on you. When I looked at it though I thought wow that looks just like my bridesmaid dresses. Then I scrolled down and I saw that others had posted the Melissa Sweet dress MS128 which is thier dress!!! I LOVE the Melissa Sweet dress. It hangs beautiful, is super comfy and each girl had it tailored to fit thier body. We ordered it in Sage Green, but it would be lovey and I think perfect for the backyard reception you want! I liked it so much I had thought about ordering one in a fun color just for me for special occasions.

If you liked the Vera Wang style then I wold definitely suggest finding a bridal store that has the Melissa Sweet MS128!

Good luck
1.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Two things. The Melissa Sweet BM dress posted above was my original first pick until my BM''s tried it on. Turned out it was a little too informal for my tastes however it is a lovely dress.

Second, the dress you are wearing in the picture was just featured in a wedding on http://thebridescafe.com The girls are wearing it in purple.

The dress you are wearing is too big for you but I think once its tailored it should be fine.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:06:28 AM
Author: bee*

Date: 3/12/2009 5:32:46 AM
Author: honey22
40.gif

ditto. I think that you could get something far nicer.
Yep, I agree with these ladies! I'm not loving the dress at all AND I think you could do much better to accentuate your fabu curves!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input honey, bee, and pocahontas! It is really helpful.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:35:51 AM
Author: House Cat
I like the Vivian Leigh because it has more structure, a more defined waist with a skirt that floats. It also looks like more fun for dancing! I think that if the shoulders are fit properly, they shouldn''t be a problem for dancing.

I think, too, that if you keep looking, you will be able to find something that isn''t off the shoulder (if that is a big worry,) but has more structure to it, so it''s more flattering. I have a feeling the Vera Wang doesn''t do much for anyone who wears it.

Thanks, House Cat! I actually found a pic online of someone who added a crinoline under the Vivian Leigh and it looked like a totally fun party dress. But, I am going to keep looking for now.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 11:57:33 AM
Author: basil
Yeah, I don''t love it either. FWIW, I love the Siri dresses (almost all of them!) and I chose the Harvard dress in olive silk dupioni for my bridesmaids...they seemed very happy with them.

Are there any others in the Siri line that you like? If you feel a little exposed in the Natasha and I agree that the Vivian Leigh might be restrictive in the arms.

I actually think the one I called was the Avignon was the Harvard. I went to look at your wedding pics (amazing, btw) and that totally looks like the dress I tried on. I did like the way it looked, though, and there would be a million options for accessorizing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results