shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I choose the right size of Rolex for me?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pricescopers!

First off, I am hoping that all of you in hurricane Sandy's path are safe and sound tonight!

I am looking for some advice and feedback from you all (yet again!)...

I just received the Rolex that I've been waiting for for three months now, and need some urgent advice. After months of deliberations, I decided upon the 31mm datejust in yellow gold with President bracelet, silver face, and diamond markers.

Don't get me wrong - I am in love with this watch and I think that it is beautiful, but after having finally received it and seeing in in person I am suddenly second-guessing myself, wondering if perhaps I should have gone for the 36mm day-date instead? I saw the day-date with the silver face and diamond markers and was able to try it on about a month after I ordered my 31mm. At the time I thought that it was stunning (I especially love those baguette diamond markers at six and nine o'clock!), and a true 'classic' in it's own right. That said, I discounted it as being just a bit too big to be a true 'forever watch' for me - I couldn't help but feel as if I looked as if I were wearing my husband's watch.

This is quite ironic, as for several months (as you may remember) I was deliberating between the 26mm and the 31mm, finally settling on the 31mm as the ideal classic size for me. I think that I've just looked at so many pages of 'Rolexes in action' that in the few months since I ordered my watch I've become sort of desensitized to larger sizes. I find that this is especially true looking through the celebrity Rolex thread, despite the fact that this is, of course, not generally what I see in day-to-day life.

Please provide me with your feedback - did I choose wisely with the 31mm, or should I consider an exchange for the 36mm? I need to determine this asap. I will post photos of each momentarily.

Some things that I took into consideration when I was choosing this watch:

- I am 40 years old, and want a 'forever' watch as this is a gift for my 40th birthday. Given that it is a significant investment, I am wanting it to be my primary watch for day-to-day and special occasion wear. That said, the reality of my life as a mom of a 2.5 year old (with another on the way) is that my lifestyle is 95% casual, 5% dressy (for the time being, anyways).

- I want something that is classic, but still contemporary looking, and modern, but still feminine - if that makes sense? At first I discounted the 36mm as too 'trendy' a size, however the day-date is a very classic Rolex which watch enthusiasts have assured me will never be dated. What do you think?

- I want something that will enhance, not overpower, my engagement ring and other jewelery. On my right hand I wear my 2.5 tcw five stone wedding band on my ring finger, a Tiffany 7 stone jazz band on my pinkie, and a six diamond yellow gold Love bracelet. Although I don't currently plan to wear my Love bracelet on the same wrist as my watch, I would like this to be an option down the road if I so choose.

As mentioned, I will post photos of me wearing each watch right away. Please bear in mind that the watches in the photos are not properly sized for me, and so hang loosely which makes it a bit difficult to get a full-body modeling shot that doesn't look at bit odd. Also keep in mind that in the photos of the 31mm I am five months pregnant, so everything looks a bit smaller on me that it would normally given that I'm bigger than I am normally! I think what is throwing me for a loop is that I really prefer the proportions of the 31mm in the wrist and hand shots, but I prefer the proportions of the 36mm in the full-body shots. Confusing!!

I thank you so much for your feedback - it helped me with my initial decision and I know that it will help me with this current deliberation...

Take care, everyone! :wavey:

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Here are photos of the 31mm. Bear in mind that I'm sporting a 5 month baby bump here, so the watch may look slightly proportionally smaller given that I'm a bigger than usual! :)

rolex_31mm_wrist_shot.jpg

rolex_31mm_hand_shot.jpg

rolex_31mm_partial_body_shot.jpg

rolex_31mm_full_body_shot.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Here are photos of the 36mm Day-Date...

rolex_dd_wrist_shot.jpg

rolex_dd_hand_shot.jpg

rolex_dd_full_body_shot.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Bem!!! Congrats on your baby on the way!!! :appl:

You chose wisely with the 31mm!!!! It is medium-large but meets your qualifications of classic, contemporary, but still feminine while not overpowering your other jewelry. The 36mm looks like a man's watch to me, and I just do not like the size on you at all. It is trendy and I would not trust that oversized watches for women will stand the test of time.

I am glad you checked in because I was wondering if you had gotten it yet! It is gorgeous and I love it!!! :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love the silver dial... :wink2:

img_2043__640x480_2.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1351557294|3295260 said:
Hi, Bem!!! Congrats on your baby on the way!!!

You chose wisely with the 31mm!!!! It is medium-large but meets your qualifications of classic, contemporary, but still feminine while not overpowering your other jewelry. The 36mm looks like a man's watch to me, and I just do not like the size on you at all. It is trendy and I would not trust that oversized watches for women will stand the test of time.

I am glad you checked in because I was wondering if you had gotten it yet!

Thanks, DS!!

I really appreciate your feedback and the fact that you remembered that I was waiting on this. It has been a long wait (three months) as it had to be ordered from Geneva, making me feel even more daft for second-guessing myself at all!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you chose wisely. I like the 31!!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1351557417|3295263 said:

SWOON!...

So how do you like your day-date, DF? Is it comfortable? Do you find yourself wearing it often? Any regrets?

It's super-lovely...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I think you got it just right!! Gorgeous!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bem3231|1351557495|3295266 said:

SWOON!...

So how do you like your day-date, DF? Is it comfortable? Do you find yourself wearing it often? Any regrets?

It's super-lovely...
it feels fine on my 6.75" wrist but IMO it might be too big for your smaller wrist. lately i have been wearing my RG Lange 1 , b/c i fell in love with RG watches.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1351558529|3295289 said:

SWOON!...

It's super-lovely...
it feels fine on my 6.75" wrist but IMO it might be too big for your smaller wrist. lately i have been wearing my RG Lange 1 , b/c i fell in love with RG watches.

Thanks very much - I appreciate you sharing your first-hand experience, DS. Yes, I actually have fairly small wrists, despite being pretty tall... Maybe that's why the 31mm looks better to me in wrist shots, while the 36mm looks better to me in full-body shots?...

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like both on you (31 and 36), so I am not very helpful there! I find the 31 more versatile (i.e transition day to night) but have a teeny preference for the 36 on you.

I have to admit, I have a preference for large watches (my watches are men's watches since most women's watches do not have mechanical movements :angryfire: ), and my wrist is tiny, so I am biased!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I like the 31 on you! I think you chose well. You also look so cute with just a bump. I am also pregnant and am just generalized huge.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Both are lovely, but I do like the 31 better. Is the 36 much heavier or no?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bem3231|1351558896|3295298 said:
Dancing Fire|1351558529|3295289 said:

SWOON!...

It's super-lovely...

Thanks very much - I appreciate you sharing your first-hand experience, DS. Yes, I actually have fairly small wrists, despite being pretty tall... Maybe that's why the 31mm looks better to me in wrist shots, while the 36mm looks better to me in full-body shots?...
i know big watches are in style these days,but i still think you made the right choice going with the 31mm... :appl:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the 31 mm watch, more balanced look on you, but I don't like the president bracelet...

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1351557443|3295265 said:
I think you chose wisely. I like the 31!!

+1! Gorgeous!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely do not think you need a larger watch; the one you ordered is plenty big IMO!

Congrats on the new watch - that was quite a wait! I hope you enjoy your lovely new watch!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK first of all, you look so pulled together, anything would look good on you!

But I like the 31 better. I think the size is just right. Beautiful watch on you.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The proportion watch:you is just right with the 31mm. The 36mm photos show too much watch, not enough you! :wink2:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the one you got. And I think in 20 years you'll be glad you got this size too. I think it looks perfect on your wrist.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 31. I think it looks plenty big! And honestly, when you are 15 years older, I don't think you would want such a huge and "trnedy" watch. Big watched might be totally O-U-T by then!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bem3231|1351556605|3295246 said:
Hello Pricescopers!

First off, I am hoping that all of you in hurricane Sandy's path are safe and sound tonight!

I am looking for some advice and feedback from you all (yet again!)...

I just received the Rolex that I've been waiting for for three months now, and need some urgent advice. After months of deliberations, I decided upon the 31mm datejust in yellow gold with President bracelet, silver face, and diamond markers.

Don't get me wrong - I am in love with this watch and I think that it is beautiful, but after having finally received it and seeing in in person I am suddenly second-guessing myself, wondering if perhaps I should have gone for the 36mm day-date instead? I saw the day-date with the silver face and diamond markers and was able to try it on about a month after I ordered my 31mm. At the time I thought that it was stunning (I especially love those baguette diamond markers at six and nine o'clock!), and a true 'classic' in it's own right. That said, I discounted it as being just a bit too big to be a true 'forever watch' for me - I couldn't help but feel as if I looked as if I were wearing my husband's watch.

This is quite ironic, as for several months (as you may remember) I was deliberating between the 26mm and the 31mm, finally settling on the 31mm as the ideal classic size for me. I think that I've just looked at so many pages of 'Rolexes in action' that in the few months since I ordered my watch I've become sort of desensitized to larger sizes. I find that this is especially true looking through the celebrity Rolex thread, despite the fact that this is, of course, not generally what I see in day-to-day life.

Please provide me with your feedback - did I choose wisely with the 31mm, or should I consider an exchange for the 36mm? I need to determine this asap. I will post photos of each momentarily.

Some things that I took into consideration when I was choosing this watch:

- I am 40 years old, and want a 'forever' watch as this is a gift for my 40th birthday. Given that it is a significant investment, I am wanting it to be my primary watch for day-to-day and special occasion wear. That said, the reality of my life as a mom of a 2.5 year old (with another on the way) is that my lifestyle is 95% casual, 5% dressy (for the time being, anyways).

- I want something that is classic, but still contemporary looking, and modern, but still feminine - if that makes sense? At first I discounted the 36mm as too 'trendy' a size, however the day-date is a very classic Rolex which watch enthusiasts have assured me will never be dated. What do you think?

- I want something that will enhance, not overpower, my engagement ring and other jewelery. On my right hand I wear my 2.5 tcw five stone wedding band on my ring finger, a Tiffany 7 stone jazz band on my pinkie, and a six diamond yellow gold Love bracelet. Although I don't currently plan to wear my Love bracelet on the same wrist as my watch, I would like this to be an option down the road if I so choose.

As mentioned, I will post photos of me wearing each watch right away. Please bear in mind that the watches in the photos are not properly sized for me, and so hang loosely which makes it a bit difficult to get a full-body modeling shot that doesn't look at bit odd. Also keep in mind that in the photos of the 31mm I am five months pregnant, so everything looks a bit smaller on me that it would normally given that I'm bigger than I am normally! I think what is throwing me for a loop is that I really prefer the proportions of the 31mm in the wrist and hand shots, but I prefer the proportions of the 36mm in the full-body shots. Confusing!!

I thank you so much for your feedback - it helped me with my initial decision and I know that it will help me with this current deliberation...

Take care, everyone! :wavey:

+1 to loving the 31mm, for the reasons in your own words, highlighted above - it's feminine and doesn't overpower you or your jewelry, rather it compliments you/it beautifully and completely. The full-body shot of the 31mm had me thinking - 'oo, gorgeous gal complimented by a gorgeous watch. I want a closer look!' Whereas the full-bdoy shot of the 36mm had me thinking - 'wow, WATCH!' :razz:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - I think when something fits your proportions well, as the 31mm looks to do to my eyes, it has a much higher likelihood of being timeless and classic. It will look just right on you while the trend towards large watches plays out and will still look just right on you when the trend towards tiny watches swings back around. Since it's a Rolex, not inexpensive, and you want it to be your everyday, forever watch, I think it's a risk to hope that large watches *aren't* a trend (I think they are, like most extremes in fashion).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
+1, Rainydaze. The 31 is good on your wrist -- and oh, drool for its design. Goes beautifully with your rings. The Watch guru at Sotheby's was quoted in an article I read the other day that the style for large watches is beginning to wane slightly. Eventually the pendulum will swing back to smaller ones & the 31 will still be right on. Gorgeous choice!!

--- Laurie

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Hi

Gorgeous watch, but i prefer the 36mm as i love the larger watches. I am petite nad live the 36mm rolex!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 31 looks great on you, and I think it will prove to be much more versatile than the larger watch. I also think it's a look that will last you longer than the larger watch.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like the 36mm better but I am a big fan of larger watches. The others are probably right that the 31mm is a more classic piece though. Do they have any sizes in between? I am petite and I have a 34mm watch and I think it's the perfect size for everyday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1351619211|3295723 said:
+1, Rainydaze. The 31 is good on your wrist -- and oh, drool for its design. Goes beautifully with your rings. The Watch guru at Sotheby's was quoted in an article I read the other day that the style for large watches is beginning to wane slightly. Eventually the pendulum will swing back to smaller ones & the 31 will still be right on. Gorgeous choice!!

--- Laurie

I love the 31mm on you- it's perfect! The 36mm will look dated in time but the 31 is just right!! A classic and stunning watch on you! Wear in health and happiness and happy Birthday!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
The 31 for sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results