shape
carat
color
clarity

Did anyone see the Folgers holiday commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Where the young guy drove all night to get home, and the young girl waited up all night for him, and he gives her a present, and she takes the bow off and puts it on his chest and says "you''re my present this year." And then it cuts to mom and dad waking up to the smell of folgers?

Anyone else think it''s really odd? I mean, I''m assuming the premise is that it''s supposed to be a brother coming home from college or something and the sister happy to see him, but I can''t imagine ANY sister that happy to see a brother just coming from college (maybe the army or something, but that''s not implied at all in the commercial). And the vibe between the brother and sister just seems OFF to me, like it could almost be romantic.

But obviously I just have too much time on my hands to think this much about a commercial!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Well the brother did say that he was coming from West Africa, so I assumed that he''d been away for a LONG time and possibly didn''t have many means of communication with his family. It''s the only way it made sense to me. However FI and I both thought that the commercial would have been better if it was a young bride waiting for her husband''s return from war. Oh well.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sabine I literally LOL at this post because I thought the.same.exact.thing! He should have been coming home from the army. I don''t think it was the sister that made it feel off, but the look he gave when she said it was a look that a boyfriend would give a girlfriend not a brother to a sister.

haha funny

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Is this the really old commercial from the 80''s where the mom says "Peter!!! You''re home!!"

If so, I never picked up a weird vibe. It just makes me laugh because it''s so terrible and for some reason my mom LOVES it.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 9:39:49 AM
Author: fiery
Sabine I literally LOL at this post because I thought the.same.exact.thing! He should have been coming home from the army. I don''t think it was the sister that made it feel off, but the look he gave when she said it was a look that a boyfriend would give a girlfriend not a brother to a sister.

haha funny
Yeah, I really didn''t understand the Africa thing?

Personally, I think the "brother" and "sister" look like they''re going to start making out after she puts that bow on him, lol.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
LOL! It is weird and I noticed it as well, and each time it comes on still.

I used to be very close with my older brother, and when he used to come home I used to run to his car and give him a big hug... but keep in mind I was only 10 when he was coming home from college.

The other strange one, to me, is the man giving his wife/gf/fiance the diamond necklace when they are at the wooded cabin in that loud thunderstorm... it just seems like a little too much to me. Maybe Kay jewelers?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 12:39:45 PM
Author: meresal

I used to be very close with my older brother, and when he used to come home I used to run to his car and give him a big hug... but keep in mind I was only 10 when he was coming home from college.

The other strange one, to me, is the man giving his wife/gf/fiance the diamond necklace when they are at the wooded cabin in that loud thunderstorm... it just seems like a little too much to me. Maybe Kay jewelers?
YES, that one IS VERY BIZARRE!

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hahaha, yup, I always think it''s a commercial for a scary movie or something and then I realize, oh no, it''s just Kay
20.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:48:54 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
Is this the really old commercial from the 80's where the mom says 'Peter!!! You're home!!'

If so, I never picked up a weird vibe. It just makes me laugh because it's so terrible and for some reason my mom LOVES it.
They still run that one! That one isn't so much a weird vibe as it is just sooooo very 80's. lol (maybe even early 90's). Gotta love those sweaters and that hair!

eta: The new one sounds like a remake of the old one - only in the original, the brother is much, much older than the little sister.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s funny. I haven''t seen it, I''ll have to keep an eye out for it! How do you know they are supposed to be brother and sister though? Maybe it is bf/gf.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
She comes down in her pjs and then the parents wake up (to the smell of folgers of course).

I tried finding it online but it isn''t posted yet. I did find the old one that they are trying to mimick. It is nothing like this. The brother/sister are maybe a year or two apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, I can't look at your link since I am at work... can't do YouTube.

But, I used to cry at the Hallmark commercial where the brother came home from school to the little brother waiting in the window, and he handed him a card. Is that what you linked? Or is this a remake of a prior Folgers commercial?

Hisdamondgirl and tlh- I'm so glad that I am not the only one... it really does seem like the "kill seen" of horror flick. What happened to a gorgeous snowfall?? lol.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the commercial in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQk_pWmisA

The 80s one is SOOO much better because the sister is way younger (cute factor), and they don''t say where the brother is coming home from (more relatable....college, war, Zimbabwe, etc). Plus, the overacting is a hoot!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 1:13:21 PM
Author: luckystar112

The 80s one is SOOO much better because the sister is way younger (cute factor), and they don''t say where the brother is coming home from (more relatable....college, war, Zimbabwe, etc). Plus, the overacting is a hoot!
LOL lucky.

Seriously, there were a few times I thought they were going to just get all kissy face. When she opens the door, before she puts the bow on him, after she says he''s her present.

Eww.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 1:03:20 PM
Author: fiery
She comes down in her pjs and then the parents wake up (to the smell of folgers of course).

I tried finding it online but it isn''t posted yet. I did find the old one that they are trying to mimick. It is nothing like this. The brother/sister are maybe a year or two apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU
I swear, this commercial makes me steamy-eyed every time!!!!
I don''t care about the corniness of it! Plus, it reminds me of my childhood. lol

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 1:13:21 PM
Author: luckystar112

LOL Awww she loves her brudder.

I didn''t think they looked like they were about to make out. I can see how it might be too close for comfort for some people though.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock

me & the boyfriend just saw this one last night and he was like "wtf?!"

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Every Kiss Begins with Kay....

OR, a good ol'' fashioned strangulation by diamond necklace in the deep dark woods?

Perhaps Stephen King wrote & directed that commercial?
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it was a little too intimate too but then just assumed I was a sicko
3.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get that vibe from it at all. My brother and I are pretty close; he lives about 800 miles away now and we tend to say playful/corny/cute things to each other when we see each other. Nothing weird or inappropriate there.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 2:30:02 PM
Author: anchor31
I don''t get that vibe from it at all. My brother and I are pretty close; he lives about 800 miles away now and we tend to say playful/corny/cute things to each other when we see each other. Nothing weird or inappropriate there.

For me it wasn''t what was said it was how it was said.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
His backpack says Volunteer on it at the beginning of the commercial. I actually thought it was sweet.
5.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, ok. Yeah, that one is kind of creepy. What was the point of remaking a classic??

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 4:16:35 PM
What was the point of remaking a classic??
I'm kind of thinking the same thing. One of the things I love about the holidays is that they make you nostalgic about childhood and previous memories... and what better way to touch those, than play old commercials that people grew up watching during the holidays.
4.gif
Just my .02

The new commercial that I really do like, is the Lowe's one. The mom and her daughter, who couldn't be home for the Holiday's, are talking on iChat and the mom is walking around the house showing her daughter all the decorations and new changes to the house, and when she walks out onto the porch, her daughter is stanging there!!
30.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 4:21:50 PM

Date: 12/2/2009 4:16:35 PM
What was the point of remaking a classic??
I''m kind of thinking the same thing. One of the things I love about the holidays is that they make you nostalgic about childhood and previous memories... and what better way to touch those, than play old commercials that people grew up watching during the holidays.
4.gif
Just my .02

The new commercial that I really do like, is the Lowe''s one. The mom and her daughter, who couldn''t be home for the Holiday''s, are talking on iChat and the mom is walking around the house showing her daughter all the decorations and new changes to the house, and when she walks out onto the porch, her daughter is stanging there!!
30.gif
Awe, I haven''t seen that one!

I love the Publix commercial (our local grocery store) where the son is telling his mom how sorry he is that he couldn''t be there for some holiday (Thanksgiving I think) and while they are talking she''s telling him not to worry about it as she is preparing a table. Turns out it was his table in his apartment. I think he was a doctor or med student. Love it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I just watched the link luckystar posted, and my 7yr old daughter asked, "is that her boyfriend?"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results