shape
carat
color
clarity

Did anyone miss Wikipedia today?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Oddly enough, most of my "whats happening in the world now" comes from PS's Hangout subforum.
I was pretty shocked to see that no one posted anything about it.
In the case of people not being aware, today English Wikipedia had a 24 hour blackout to protest SOPA and PIPA.

I love how intelligent PSers are and would love to hear/read their commentary on the matter.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I hope people are taking the time to sign the petitions and email their representatives. I was pretty horrified when I looked deeper and realized that it amounted to a massive censorship power that CORPORATIONS would have!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Very much so.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes!

What annoys me even more is that legislation in one country is going to potentially affect my country.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1326967713|3106528 said:
Yes!

What annoys me even more is that legislation in one country is going to potentially affect my country.

Totally agree! I'm not in the US so can't exactly complain to my congressman about it.

I really need Wikipedia for work since I come across a good 20+ words per day that I've never seen before. I don't completely trust the articles, but they're a great jumping off point! I thought I was in trouble until I read about how disabling javascript would put it back to normal.

Yes, I totally defeated the purpose of the blackout and told my office how to circumvent the blackout :oops:

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I love Wikipedia !!!! I consult it at least once or twice a date, not on purpose but I love to search the Internet about every topic under the sun and the information on this website is quick and concise. Case in point, yesterday I looked up Qatar and a plane named the Super Guppy. I definitely support their protest. I wouldn't have even known about the new legislation (I'm from Canada though).

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I didn't think I would but there were three instances when I searched for something and really wished that I could just get to a succinct and to-the-point Wikipedia page instead of having to wade through a bunch of other stuff to find what I was looking for.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I can count on one hand how many times I have ever gone to Wikipedia for any reason. It's not a site that I usually use.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't miss wikipedia, but I did miss other websites I visit: cake wreaks and regretsy.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I really missed it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I don't like or use Wikipedia, but heard on the news that it was functioning, you just had to go to the site and the press the escape key on your keyboard.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Well it wasn't a matter of finding ways to circumvent it and unfortunately that kills the point.
Great links Kenny and Heraanderson!
I rarely contact my congress people/senators/representatives, but this is definitely something that should be eliminated ASAP.

The thought of seeing this everywhere is a frightening prospect: :errrr:

sopa.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results