shape
carat
color
clarity

Did anyone else have trouble picking a song for the First Dance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
My FI and I have been going out forever. When we get married on May 22nd it will be our 10th anniversary. With that being said, we don''t have a "song" like most couples do. My FI and I decided that we want an older song not something modern. The only problem is we have totally different tastes in music. I grew up listening to soft rock so I basically know and love almost all the love songs out there. I absolutely love the song "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole. My FI was making fun of the song once and even changed the radio station on me (of course I changed it back) so I am thinking he probably won''t go for that song. I decided to compile a cd of all the songs I like, have him listen to it and pick one. Has anyone else had problems with this, or am I just crazy?
33.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
E loves heavy metal, and heavy metal only. could you imagine dancing to metalica''s sandman?
(screams loudly...) "EXIT LIGHT,DUN NA NA, ENTER NIIIIGGGHHTTTT-AH"

my only hope is elton john. at least E knows all of his songs.
9.gif

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 7:41:45 AM
Author: jcarlylew
E loves heavy metal, and heavy metal only. could you imagine dancing to metalica''s sandman?
(screams loudly...) ''EXIT LIGHT,DUN NA NA, ENTER NIIIIGGGHHTTTT-AH''

9.gif
Haha that is too funny. The moment I read heavy metal, I totally thought of "Welcome to the Jungle" which probably is not a heavy metal song but still would be funny.
41.gif

Elton John would be nice. I just looked him up on Itunes and didn''t even realize how many of his songs I like. I think "The One" is an awesome song...
31.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
actually, i want to walk into our reception with welcome to the jungle. that part is just funny.

i also like queen for first dance songs - "best friend" is a great song. but Elton is pretty good, safe bet :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
museikchik We have been dating forever and we really don''t have a "song" either we went through Youtube and picked something with a little swing and a beat so we could actually dance to it we ended up with Michael Buble: For Once in my Life :) - we both liked it and it just made us feel happy :).

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
We had a tough time too. We never had a song, and we have very different musical tastes. The only artist we really both liked is Sarah McLachlan, but most of her songs don''t lend themselves to first dances!

We were lucky though - she came out with a new cd 6 months before our wedding, and there was a love song on there she wrote for her husband that was perfect. We both loved it, and knew instantly it was perfect for our first dance. Hopefully you''ll be able to find something that you both agree on and love!

BTW, 5/22 is a great wedding date - I got married 5/22/04!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think many couples have problems with this!

Personally, I would love to do a particular Frank Sinatra song, "Seen the Light", but it would require dance lessons (it's on the faster side, so we couldn't get away with just swaying). However, I think dance lessons probably won't happen since we're too busy; then we'll have to pick another song, but we have no idea what! FI isn't very interested in music ... he just kind of listens to the radio and likes a few songs, but he doesn't have a huge preference. And I love music, but generally not slow romantic songs that are good for dancing. The few I like are very over used (in my opinion) so I'm not really excited to pick one of them (think older songs, like "At Last", that have become super popular in recent years). Ugh. I wish we knew how to dance so that I could pick whatever song I wanted.

ETA: Queen is an excellent idea! A little off beat and everybody loves them. I'll have to listen to their songs while dancing to see if we could pull it off.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 7:41:45 AM
(screams loudly...) ''EXIT LIGHT,DUN NA NA, ENTER NIIIIGGGHHTTTT-AH''
9.gif
Hahahahahaha! Just snorted reading that.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
We went with Otis Redding''s "That''s How Strong My Love Is" because our musical tastes couldn''t possibly differ more! The old motown style of music is pretty much the only genre where we have some overlap, so Otis it was.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When he proposed to me, I dont think we had ''our'' song yet. We both love alternative rock, nothing lovey-dovey there! However, we''ve both recently found a love for jazz, and the christmas he proposed I also got a CD of one of my favourite jazz artist in my stocking. We were listening to the album, and the first song was so beautiful...so we began to dance to it. As we listened to the song, we realized it was going to be song we did our first dance to.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
We don''t have one specific song for us. For our wedding, we''re stuck between using a few; "The way you look tonight" by Elton John, "When you say nothing at all" by ronan keating, and recently I heard Brad Paisley''s new song, "Then" and I love it also. We have a little bit of time to decide still, but I feel equally attached to the 3 songs.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We had the HARDEST time. All of our wedding details had been pinned down for months except for that, and I literally spent 3 months just listening to music (DH had Rhapsody, which was AWESOME for hearing full songs of stuff). We also had a hard time with our parent dance. We''d decided on "Yours" by Sara Gazarek for our dance and were still working on the parent dance (my Dad was VERY upset that we didn''t go with his suggestion of "Letting Go" by Susie Boggus - it''s about parents packing up their kid to go to college). Anyway, I''d been listening to a song a lot a few weeks before we were to get married because I just liked how it got me in a really happy "Woo! Wedding!" mood - and I played it for DH. He said "Weird! I''ve been listening to a song lately that makes me think about our wedding, too" - he played it ("When She Dances" by Joe Bonamassa, and it was the PERFECT first dance song for us.

So we made that our first dance, made "Yours" our parent dance, and two weeks before the wedding, what we''d been stressing about for months was finally solved, pretty much on all its own.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH picked out our first song. He was all excited one weekend and told me that he heard a song with *perfect* lyrics for our first dance song. It was Brian McKnights "Dream Come True." I was so surprised because that song is so dated, but he was all sweet and said that the words are exactly how he feels about me, and he is NEVER mushy. So, our first song was born.

Maybe ask your FI to keep it in mind and see if he''s inspired by anything.

Oh, and we actually DO have a song, but we didn''t even play it at the wedding at all. (!) I didn''t realize that until just now.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We''re having a horrible time too...luckily our wedding isn''t until November!
40.gif

We have very different tastes (he''s a total metal-head/rocker) and he keeps picking out the most random things. I just want a normal wedding song!! Is that so much to ask?!?! LOL...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
DH and I danced to Can't get enough of your love by barry white I was going to have it be you're the first the last my everything instead... but my DH figured... well... I'm an overtly sexual being, for looking like a child, ha! So, That's what we boogied too.

ETA:but we originally wanted to dance to 3 little birds by bob marley and the band didn't know it.. and I didn't want to pay more so they could learn it... so that is where we made it a little more... sporty!
31.gif
so yes, after they told us that they couldn't play our original song... it was a mini freak out trying to find the perfect song, that fit us. That is why we decided on something fun, that really lit up our personalities.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have a "song" as a couple. There are several songs that we both really like because they remind us of each other or our realtionship. We''re dancing to a song from The Lake House soundtrack. It''s by Paul McCartney and it''s called "This Never Happened Before." We love it because we''re huge Beatles/Paul McCartney fans and this song, while current, is very much a PMcC song.

These are the lyrics:

i''m very sure
this never happened to me before
i met you and now i''m sure
this never happened before

now i see
this is the way it''s supposed to be
i met you and now i see
this is the way it should be

this is the way it should be for lovers
they shouldn''t go it alone
it''s not so good when you''re on your own

so come to me
now we can be what we wanna be
i love you and now i see

this is the way it should be for lovers
they shouldn''t go it alone
it''s not so good when you''re on your own

i''m very sure
this never happened to me before
i met you and now i''m sure
this never happened before (this never happened before)
this never happened before (this never happened)
this never happened before (this never happened before)

BTW, my BIL would have danced to Enter Sandman if SIL had let him. As it was they walked into their reception to "Crazy Train." Nothing like a little Ozzie to get a party going...

When you say nothing at all is another fantastic song. I love the version by Allison Kraus. LOL that''s from another Sandra Bullock movie (Hope floats)

JR320

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad you posted this, we are totally in the same boat. We banter back and forth about first dance songs all the time. Our tastes in music are so different. I wanted "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds and he wanted "Lady" by Styx. haha.

The song that we always kind of considered to be "ours" is "Patience" by Guns and Roses. He put that song on a CD he made for me before he moved a couple hours away from me. I love the song, but I can''t really think of it as a first dance song.

We also love "Moondance" by Van Morrison, but I feel like that is another one where you have to really know how to dance.

So right now the only thing we can agree on is "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. So that will probably be it unless we come up with something better. My FI is CRAZY about Journey, so I might be willing to agree to "Faithfully" for him. :)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
HAVE had trouble, AM having trouble, and WILL continue to have trouble...
20.gif
All of the music for the reception is going to be a tough one for us.

brightstone

Shiny_Rock
We had the HARDEST time picking our first dance song. I searched and researched high and low, and then one day I was at this quirky health food store buying Ostrich Burgers of all things, and when I was a the check out line I saw this "Women of Jazz" CD and thought.....oh, mayyyybe there would be a song on there and I threw it into the cart! That is where I found our first dance song, accidentally, after months of intentional searching. The song is called "Dance Me to the End of Love" and here it is: http://www.last.fm/music/Leonard+Cohen/_/Dance+Me+to+the+End+of+Love

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting married on my ten year anniversary too! Good to know there are other procrastinators out there:) I don''t have a song yet either, but Elton John sounds like a good place to start listening.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I think we have decided on a song, finally. However, fiance won this one. I really wanted Cindi Lauper''s; Time after Time. So, now its going to be used in our wedding video. Our first dance song is really modern and my fiance found it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been having a tough time deciding this. For a while I wanted to dance to Don''t Stop Believin'' (FI worked the song into his proposal, so it''s especially meaningful to us), with a Rock the Reception type of thing in mind. But I realized both of us are horrible dancers and needed something slow and easy. We''re long distance and way too busy for lessons. Keeping with the Journey theme, we''re planning on using Open Arms now. Journey is pretty much the only place where our musical tastes overlap, for that matter (I like classical and he likes 80s).

More recently, I''ve been really intrigued by a different song, but everyone including the FI is shooting it down because it''s not in English (it''s a Japanese song). It''s beautiful, not too long, easy to dance to, and nobody I know has used it...perfect for my nontraditional wedding if I could have gotten FI to agree with it! So if any of you are open to a non-English song (well, it has 1 line in Engligh!), check out This Love by Angela Aki.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:44:50 PM
Author: JR320

So right now the only thing we can agree on is ''Wonderful Tonight'' by Eric Clapton. So that will probably be it unless we come up with something better. My FI is CRAZY about Journey, so I might be willing to agree to ''Faithfully'' for him. :)
I wish FI would go for that!!! I love that song. Ahhh Steve Perry...
3.gif

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
We''re getting married on our 11 year (plus 2 days!) anny - so another procrastinator here!
35.gif

We, too, have NO song. You would think after 10+ years together, we''d have SOMETHING. So we are totally having trouble.

We are including a lot of elements of our Irish heritage (bagpipers at the ceremony, harp trio at cocktail hour, etc., along with the Dropkick Murphys playing our intro song) so maybe we''ll go with U2! We had talked about doing "All I want is you"

SunnyD I
30.gif
30.gif
Steve Perry!!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been seeing commercials for NOW! Power Ballads, I want all of those songs played at my wedding. LOL, what can I say, I''m a buttrocker.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
lol sunny, i swear we are dating the same man!! (eta and by dating, i mean, i am techinally dating while you of course are fiancee!)

power ballads, that is such a good idea!!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:50:46 PM
Author: meresal
HAVE had trouble, AM having trouble, and WILL continue to have trouble...
20.gif
All of the music for the reception is going to be a tough one for us.

DITTO!
20.gif
I believe that this will be FI and I''s biggest fight, I say a song, he says no, I ask for a suggestion, he says I don''t know (Is there a strangling smiley?)

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
My FI and I will be getting married after almost 11 years together and we have decided on the song "At last" originally performed by Etta James, but we prefer the Beyonce version. I just love the lines "and here we are in heaven, for you are mine.....at last" it has gotten a lot of attention lately as it has been applied to President Obama, but I feel it relates to us perfectly as well.
9.gif

Here are the lyrics for anyone who may not be familiar, even though it is quite popular
2.gif

At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At last

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 7:07:26 PM
lol sunny, i swear we are dating the same man!! (eta and by dating, i mean, i am techinally dating while you of course are fiancee!)

power ballads, that is such a good idea!!
LOL, maybe they know each other! We''re so close and all...was he in a band in HS?
9.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 9:33:03 PM
Author: missjaxon
My FI and I will be getting married after almost 11 years together and we have decided on the song ''At last'' originally performed by Etta James, but we prefer the Beyonce version. I just love the lines ''and here we are in heaven, for you are mine.....at last'' it has gotten a lot of attention lately as it has been applied to President Obama, but I feel it relates to us perfectly as well.
9.gif

Here are the lyrics for anyone who may not be familiar, even though it is quite popular
2.gif

At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At last
36.gif
36.gif
Missjaxon! This is our first dance too!
36.gif
FI and I will have been together for 13 years when we are married (no ladies, that''s not a type
2.gif
) and I am obsessed with this song. And that line is my favorite too!! Every time I hear that song (I play it all the time on my Ipod in the car) and I can just imagine us dancing together.

I have chosen to go with the original Eta James version, as much as I love Joss Stone''s version, it doesn''t have the perfect violin part that the original does, it makes all the difference to me as I used to play the violin
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results