shape
carat
color
clarity

Diana's Sixtieth

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you believe that Princess Diana would have been 60 soon? I remember their wedding. (Makes me feel so old!)

There's a lot online about Diana at the moment bc soon it would have been her sixtieth, and Harry is meant to be going to the UK for the statue unveiling.

Her boys were sent to boarding school age eight (although I believe they came home for weekends until they went to prep school at thirteen), and after Charles and Diana separated in 1992, they would have shared the school vacations and the weekends.

An article I was reading last night said that her life was sad and empty when she died, because the boys had been taken to Balmoral for weeks, and she was at a loose end. When she died, the boys hadn't seen her for a month, which is remarkable when you consider they were only 12 and 15.

So it struck me that between boarding school and shared custody, she must have seen very little of her boys compared to ordinary parents. I think that that's incredibly sad.

[Posted this in the current PSer thread, but moved it here in order not to threadjack.]

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She does look lonely here, shortly before she went to Paris.

Diana Jonikal.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He sure does. I know every journalist wants to get the story, but can you imagine telling lies of that magnitude to someone?

I can't believe she died that way, and so young. Poor, poor thing. So sad the way she and her boys have missed out on so much life together.

I had thought that Trevor Rees-Jones was wearing a seatbelt, but I looked at the Paget Report, which is available online, and it turns out that no one out of the four was wearing one. I can only believe that no one buckled up because the journey was so short - approx. 3 mins.

Edited x 1.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder what would have happened if she had lived
I think she would still be beautiful
But calm
And she'd be freinds with Charles
Would Charles have ever married Camila ?
Would Di have remarried ?
Would Wills have still gone to St Andrews and met Kate ?
Would Sophie have had a higher profile ?
Maybe Harry would have stayed in the army, maybe he would have married Chelsey Davy or Cressida Bonas

What would the press be like now ?

If only she was here for her grandchildren

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
He sure does. I know every journalist wants to get the story, but can you imagine telling lies of that magnitude to someone?

I can't believe she died that way, and so young. Poor, poor thing.

He needs strung up and shot
or at least dragged through the court
all that BS Prince Philip and Prince Charles had said about them - its surely slander

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what would have happened if she had lived
I think she would still be beautiful
But calm
And she'd be freinds with Charles
Would Charles have ever married Camila ?
Would Di have remarried ?
Would Wills have still gone to St Andrews and met Kate ?
Would Sophie have had a higher profile ?
Maybe Harry would have stayed in the army, maybe he would have married Chelsey Davy or Cressida Bonas

What would the press be like now ?

If only she was here for her grandchildren

DD, I know, right? I think so much would be different. I think Charles would have been able to marry Camilla much earlier. Yes, they'd be friends - apparently they had come to a friendship before she died, and she had accepted Camilla. I think William would still have gone to St. Andrews because it was seen as a diplomatic move to tighten the bonds between England and Scotland, but I wonder if he would have married Kate. I only say that because it seems that the Middletons were a real port in the sh*tstorm of his life, and if he had had the love and support of his mother, maybe he wouldn't have been as attracted to the Middleton unit and their way of life, which was very different from royal life.

Also, he was very attracted to Isabella Calthorpe at one point, but she didn't want the press intrusion. Diana might have assuaged her worries on that score - and the press wouldn't have seemed so bad if the Paris accident hadn't happened.

I'm not sure if she would have found personal happiness. Her life was very complex, and so was she. It takes a special man to handle that. Let's face it, he'd be outshone at every turn! It seems that she had some problems with depression and possible bipolar disorder, and her childhood had been pretty awful, so I think it also depends on whether she would have got the right treatment to deal with all that. I like to think that she would have done, in time.

I think Diana today would be the world's most famous humanitarian with clout like no other. I think she would have raised an insane amount for charity, and I can see her collaborating with other humanitarians like Angelina Jolie and using social media for the greater good. I think she would have continued to shine a light on the most difficult, stigmatized and hopeless causes (remember what she did for AIDS victims in the 80s when she was photographed hugging someone?) and I think that her lifetime's work would have added up to an incalculable amount of good.

Her loss was huge, both to the world and to her children. And it all turned on a dime - if only she'd fastened her seatbelt, if only she'd hit the seat in front at a slightly different angle, if only she'd stayed at the Ritz that night, if only the car was going 10mph slower.

For me, her accident is the saddest well-known death of my lifetime so far.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really sad to think that if they’d been wearing seatbelts, the outcome could’ve been very different.

It’s despicable that a journalist would go that far to get a story, and I thought William’s remarks about the outcome of the investigation were absolutely spot on.

I remember waking up to the news of her death and even though I didn’t know her, feeling so upset that she’d died in such awful circumstances. The whole country stood still on the day of her funeral, and mourned her loss.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was at work on a sunday
My freind came to pick me up after work to tell me Di had been in an accident
when we got home to my place it was on the tv she had died
everybody i know cried at some point
We laid flowers at a big statute of Queen Victoria

I hope sometime in the future one of her family will champion the importance of also using one's seatbelt
but i guess its still too raw

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results