shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamong Grading #4 Clarity & AA Color??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
I was over at a friends house this afternoon and we were looking at her Diamond she had a old appraisel from 10 years ago and on the appraisel it states the Clarity to be #4 and the color AA. I have never seen a Diamond graded this way and am confused and looking for help. I know someone here will know. It''s a nice looking diamond. Thanks Daisy

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Daisyma02: This text taken from the GIA website might help address some of your questions:

Many people think of diamonds as colorless. In reality, truly colorless diamonds are quite rare. Most diamonds used in jewelry are nearly colorless with faint yellow or brown tints. These diamonds fall in the normal color range. A diamond that is said to have 'fine color' has little or no visible coloration. The less color, the higher the value.

In the D-Z color range, a D color diamond will always be more valuable than other diamonds, when all other factors – clarity, carat weight, and cut – are equal.

Why does the GIA color grading system start at D? Before GIA introduced the GIA D-Z Color Grading Scale, a variety of other symbols were loosely applied throughout the industry. Not only were A, B, and C used without clear definition, but some dealers, taking a cue from the poultry business perhaps, started grading their diamonds double A (AA).

Other systems used numbers-both Arabic (0, 1, 2, 3) and Roman (I, II, III). Most dubious of all were systems that relied on descriptive terms like "gem blue" or "blue white." Terms like these are notoriously susceptible to misinterpretation.

So the creators of the GIA Color Scale wanted to start fresh. They wanted symbols that would not have any association with earlier systems. Thus the GIA scale starts at the letter D. There may be some people still clinging to other grading systems, but no other system has the clarity and universal acceptance of the GIA scale.

HERES A DIRECT LINK: click on the link below
Gemological Institute of America : How to Buy a Diamond

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Any idea what #4 Clarity means and AA Color would be equvilant to? Thanks

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the case you describe according to the GIA article explaining the grading system before the GIA set up their standarized system of grading, the lower the letter a diamond received according to the other system you describe outlines color as AA. In this case the best color range fell in the AA range, which would be equivalent to the GIA D color. Keep in mind you might want to tell your friend to get the stone graded by the GIA since the actual stone was graded using a different standard.

In the case of the #4 Clarity. I do not know. The AGS uses the #4 which places stones in the vs2 clarity range, but this system might have differed...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Thanks Scorpian! You really helped. Have a great Night Daisy

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Several years ago, before GIA Diamond Grading Reports became popular, companies graded their own diamonds with thier own grading system.
I remember both Sears and M. Wards had a very similar system using A, AA, AAA and 1, 2, 4. These systems do not relate to anything remotely resembling the GIA or AGS systems.
What you need to do is take your ring to an up to date appraiser and get a real appraisal that is worth something.
If your insurance company has something like what you have now, they can replace your diamond with almost anything.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Point DB. I think it might be good for her to get it graded either by the GIA or AGS and then also have the stone evaluated by an independent appraiser sending the stone along with the the accompanying cert. from the Lab in which the diamond was graded.

-Josh

4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results