shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds strange colour under ultra-violet light?

Jupeter

Rough_Rock
Whilst my wife was having her nails 'done' she noticed that 2 of the 5 stones in her eternity ring were showing as pure white. The other three gleamed. Why would that be?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence.

What color were they showing?

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of the melee diamonds on my fashion rings have white fluorescence, as well as orange, yellow, green and the usual blue.

Jupeter

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Does this mean they are still all diamonds? They should be - bought from a reputable high street outlet.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Synthetic and man made material should not fluoresce. You can probably walk into any jewelry store and ask them to test them with a diamond tester.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. Does this mean they are still all diamonds? They should be - bought from a reputable high street outlet.

Yes. Of course I can’t see/test your piece, but many natural diamonds do have fluorescence and man made material does not.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. Of course I can’t see/test your piece, but many natural diamonds do have fluorescence and man made material does not.
Not true.
It is very common for cz to have reddish/orange fluorescence and other colors are possible.

Edit: looked it up: Beige and yellow and greenish yellow are the other common colors.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Not true.
It is very common for cz to have reddish/orange fluorescence and other colors are possible.

Edit: looked it up: Beige and yellow and greenish yellow are the other common colors.

Oops, I’m sorry, please follow Karl! I don’t have a lot of CZ experience, and was mainly thinking of blue flouro anyway.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst my wife was having her nails 'done' she noticed that 2 of the 5 stones in her eternity ring were showing as pure white. The other three gleamed. Why would that be?
Get your wife to take some pictures with her phone next time she has her nails done :) or you could buy a cheap UV LED torch off ebay or similar to recreate the effect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results