shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds mean love? Or Status?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ladies what do your diamonds mean to you?

Are diamonds you buy for yourself different to those purchased by a partner or lover?

Guys do you buy a diamond to keep the peace? Or because you like the look of em? Or becaause it is an expectation?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, this question is right up my alley. I am enamoured w/ diamonds. They are my only "status symbol" purchase. My husband just purchased a 3 carat RB for me for the celebration of 20 years to date of our engagement.

I just asked my husband his quote exactly "I don't love diamonds....but I do love the way they make you (me, the recipient) feel" I certainly didn't buy the diamond to keep the peace.....but I do like the peace it creates ;-)"

How's that ....I'm still chuckling. You don't last 20 years without a combination of politics & humour.

I think someone could write a disertation on this subject. For me, my big rock symbolizes a recognition of the hard work to ascertain a certain comfort level in life. I do think, and I'm not addressing the morality issue in this, that one does equate jewelry - especially diamonds - with love & status...just my honest opinion.:halo:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Great question Garry!

Fire&Ice, brilliant answer :)

Garry, are you checking women now because you already know what drives men to buy them? (remember what Mr. Rapaport said) ;-)

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
I have never bought a diamond for myself. Until recently, I had only seen the run-of-the-mill chain jewelry store quality diamonds, whose cuts frankly never impressed me at all. My interest was far more piqued by colored stones. Since seeing ideal cuts, though, I have become something of a diamond fan.

All the same, I don't think a diamond would be the same as one given to me as a symbol of commitment, either for engagement, wedding, anniversary, etc. I wear an engagement ring with a diamond because I like the classical traditionalism of it. I like people being able to look at my hand and see that I belong to someone, and that I am loved. I almost always flout tradition, but in this particular instance, diamond is tradition, and I like it.

I don't know if I'll ever buy a diamond for myself, because to a practical girl like myself, buying very expensive jewelry is something I reserve for special occasions, so my darling can spoil me.

:))

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Men...you are so easy.

But, on an interesting note, DeBeers is brilliant in their advertising & business plan in general. They have created and will perpetuate the mystique. I believe their target audience is women.....like in the 3 stone anniversary commercial..the one where the man rents a movie theater and shows the video of their marriage...to me that appeals more to a women...and that "Show her you would marry her all over again." Plants a seed in the womens mind to ask for this. What man wouldn't want to show his wife that he would marry her all over again. Diamond=Love. What great advertising. I doubt my hubby would just come up w/ this rock if I hadn't planted the seed in his mind. It was I who picked the diamond out...running everything by him (didn't have to ...just trust his opinion)

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I treasure my engagement ring, and it's a keepsake. I would buy a bigger diamond for myself because I am better at shopping for it than husband, and he would not comprehend why someone would spend so much $ like 12-25k for a diamond. In his opinion, $ is better spent elsewhere more useful. However, as long as we can afford it, he let me choose the big rock size of my choice.

Diamonds does not equate love, to me, it's something I can buy for myself, and I like looking at the big rock on my finger.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They say you "You can't take it with you". How true.

However, while you are here, you can take a whole lot with you when you put a big rock on your little finger. A large diamond is a symbol of affluence, wealth, buying power, love, respect, authority and success. You might have on blue jeans, but the big diamond transmits messages to all you come in contact with.

A large diamond is way less subtle than a smaller one. It is up to the personality of the buyer and the one who wears it, what they want to own and what messages they wish to give to others.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure if I want to convey message of status, buying power or show off to others. I just like to own a big rock for myself. It is not as subtle as smaller one, and I am not sure if I feel comfortable wearing a big one like 3c that attracts attention is why I am still debating whether or not to upgrade 2.16c to 3c, worth the trouble or not.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
David, for that purpose big CZ would work as well, wouldn't it? :)

mbn

Shiny_Rock
:) a CZ does not sparkle as well as a diamond, and over time dulls. a real diamond has value attachs to it, and wearer feels good wearing the real thing.

I thought about CZ before too, but feeling is not the same.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Of course, but to SHOW your "affluence, wealth, buying power, love, respect, authority and success" it'll be ok. :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
David, I could not agree more. But, for me those symbols are internal and the diamond an outward symbol of all of those - make sense. I've feel like I have earned it. I'm not trying to call attention to myself - but if I do..so be it. And no, you can't take it with you....and I think this is one great legacy to pass on.

But, I do think a large rock is more subtle than say an expensive auto. Many people won't notice the diamond.

Leonid, shame on you....NO a CZ won't do
:bigsmile:

T

Rough_Rock
Way to throw yourself out there with the CZ comment, Leonid. :bigsmile:
Heehee, u had it coming by saying the taboo word around here.
Let him have it, ladies!

-T

roksinmymind

Rough_Rock
heh-

i think this discussion is missing a really important factor:

PAIN (although you romatics out there could call this sacrifice).

Can I ask you men out there, why you buy flowers for your women? We all know that flowers serve no function really, are transient in nature (they die), and the beauty they possess is subjective at best.

Can I ask the women why they want flowers? Especially when you are pissed off at your man?

PAIN!

You women know it kills a man to spend 100 bucks on something that gets tossed in 1-2 weeks.

Although a diamond is supposedly forever, the concept is somewhat similar. A diamond is pretty. It sits on a finger. It doesn't cut wood. It doesn't take you to the store. Nope, it pretty much just sits there. No real function whatsoever...

I guess a CZ or other substitute (messanoite(sp?) might be as pretty. Or a treated stone even. But what do these things lack? You guessed it... a sufficient level of

PAIN!

It's what women want really. You girls may delude yourselves into thinking that a "pure" diamond is a symbol of love, passion, commitment or what have you. But really, its that sadistic, mischivous, and devilish side of you that drives the demand for diamonds... A man's gotta be crazy to spend mega $$$ on a shiny carbon pebble. And if you can squeeze one out of him, I guess you think you can make him do about anything....(you are probably right)

Remember, in the end, its all about the

PAIN!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2002 6:18:30 PM

heh-

i think this discussion is missing a really important factor:

PAIN (although you romatics out there could call this sacrifice).

Can I ask you men out there, why you buy flowers for your women? We all know that flowers serve no function really, are transient in nature (they die), and the beauty they possess is subjective at best.

Can I ask the women why they want flowers? Especially when you are pissed off at your man?

PAIN!

You women know it kills a man to spend 100 bucks on something that gets tossed in 1-2 weeks.

Although a diamond is supposedly forever, the concept is somewhat similar. A diamond is pretty. It sits on a finger. It doesn't cut wood. It doesn't take you to the store. Nope, it pretty much just sits there. No real function whatsoever...

I guess a CZ or other substitute (messanoite(sp?) might be as pretty. Or a treated stone even. But what do these things lack? You guessed it... a sufficient level of

PAIN!

It's what women want really. You girls may delude yourselves into thinking that a "pure" diamond is a symbol of love, passion, commitment or what have you. But really, its that sadistic, mischivous, and devilish side of you that drives the demand for diamonds... A man's gotta be crazy to spend mega $$$ on a shiny carbon pebble. And if you can squeeze one out of him, I guess you think you can make him do about anything....(you are probably right)

Remember, in the end, its all about the

PAIN!
;))
----------------

And...your point would be?.........:wink2: :bigsmile:

too funny!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the point would be that if you can afford enough 'pain' to buy something useless (but pretty) then it means that you choose to waste scarce resources (and that mean you have no scaricty = status) on someone because you love them.

My wife wants a new kitchen (we eat out 10 out of 14 meals, and she cooks vegies in kitchen - i BBQ fish or meat outside on $400 BBQ) for $20k. We are planning to sell the house in 2-4 years. The kitchen was done 7 years ago by former owners.

Do I agree? Of course I do.

Rational - A happy wife is a happy life!

Does it improve my status? no.
.... life?
maintains it :rolleyes:

T

Rough_Rock
I personally bought small diamond because I like the brilliant look on a excellent round cut stone and also because that is the tradition/ritural that has been circulating of late. (My significant other believes in spending $$ on the wedding more than spending $$ on the rock) :)

Sheesshhh, wondering how many single males were scared into staying single forever from these posts that I've seen so far.:-o
-T
ps-I like to plant flowers instead buying them.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
When I got engaged, my husband gave me his mother's diamond...it was a lovely 2ct stone, but since I never liked his mother, it sat in the ring box for a very long time. When I started wearing it again, the jeweler noticed a chip under the prong that was not originally present.

Anyway, long story short, through insurance, I was able to get a magnificent 2 ct stone of MY OWN. Coinicidentally, this occurred on the 10th Anniversary of our engagement. Now, the ring is special to me and I get many compliments...my friends call it a "big chunk of change". I also have a wedding band to match the setting.

However, diamonds and/or money do not make for a happy marriage...that takes a lot of work, understanding and commitment. We will be married for 10 years in November.

P.S. I also have a sapphire ring that is set with channel set baguettes...I actually prefer that ring to the all diamond one. It has a lot of pizazz.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I do think that new brides do not care if rock is big or not. most would be happy for .90-1c bc they are so happily in love. Later on 4-5 yrs down the road, the women have worked hard at marriage, and raising kids, and feel they deserve a big rock for all the hard work, like me, for example. It makes me feel good to have big rock for all the hard work of married life :) Life is short, so why not buy big rock if it makes u happy.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2002 7:20:44 PM

Sheesshhh, wondering how many single males were scared into staying single forever from these posts that I've seen so far.:-o
-T
ps-I like to plant flowers instead buying them.
----------------

When you are married for years you will understand the humour in the posts.

...and you have to remember none of us women would be here if diamonds weren't our passion. I've said this before - diamonds are age appropriate. A big rock is going to look pretty dopey on one who is young.

My husband did plant both of my favorite flowers - unfortunately, they don't bloom all year. Having flowers sent to you - just makes you feel good.

As Gary says, Happy wife - Happy Guy. It's that simple.

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2002 11:24:57 PM

I do think that new brides do not care if rock is big or not. most would be happy for .90-1c bc they are so happily in love.
----------------

:rolleyes: Are you saying that .90-1 carat is *small*??

mbn

Shiny_Rock
no, .90-1c is not small, good size for newlyweds.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
SIZE...

Depends on the girl, how and where she was raised, and also what her girlfriends are wearing.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I do think overall, most new brides in love does not care about a big rock, and to most brides .90-1c is big enough.

Only those women who really like diamond would like a bigger size, and of course what the girl friends are wearing. Some takes pride in having the biggest rock.

to some women 2c is so big, to others big enough, and some others just good size, depends on what she is used to.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/28/2002 4:50:51 PM

SIZE...

Depends on the girl, how and where she was raised, and also what her girlfriends are wearing.
----------------

...and, JMHO, on age.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Why depends on age, why is it big rock look better on older women?

I saw young girl in jewelry store, she is heavier set, had on 5 carat, to her she likes it big.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2002 8:16:17 PM

When I got engaged, my husband gave me his mother's diamond...it was a lovely 2ct stone, but since I never liked his mother, it sat in the ring box for a very long time. ----------------

Back at you...to some extent my experience (but then I found out that the Grandmother, who I loved, was the one who insisted I have it). I'm glad you were able to acquire you own stone. And, IMHO, means something after years of marriage.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/28/2002 4:59:18 PM

Why depends on age, why is it big rock look better on older women?

I saw young girl in jewelry store, she is heavier set, had on 5 carat, to her she likes it big.
----------------

One, I would question whether it was real.

Two, IMHO, a women in midddle aged can carry it off better.

If you REALLY want my opinion. 20's up to 1c, 30's up to 2c, 40's + - anything that looks good w/ her fingers. Bet's are off w/ family stones. Although, I had a friend who became engaged her Senior year in college w/ a 4 c family stone. She never wore it - was embarrased - not only was asked if it was real - also felt like she was playing dress up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results