color
clarity

Diamonds made out of pollution?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. Perhaps in comparison to conventional mining it’s less harmful but their “reactor” must use energy to create the diamond - and that is likely to be fossil fuelled. Fascinating concept though.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I 100% do not understand how they take gas or particles out of the air to begin with. Taking that state of matter and turning it into not only a solid, but a completely different seemingly unrelated one just confuses the crap out of me!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be amazing if they could do it just for fresh air alone!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I 100% do not understand how they take gas or particles out of the air to begin with. Taking that state of matter and turning it into not only a solid, but a completely different seemingly unrelated one just confuses the crap out of me!

As far as I understand it, what with trade secrets and patents, etc. You can capture pollution which is CO2 by filtration, absorption, and by chemical conversion (I.e. combustion.) Now, through some process it undergoes the chemical change from carbons with oxygen attached to carbons with hydrogens attached (hydrocarbons.) After that, it can go through the normal lab diamond creation process of vapor distillation and/or high pressure, high heat.

AprilBaby: We already can, looks like companies are working on making the technology that is able to basically filter/scrub CO2 from the air better. The problem is always money: production cost low, profit margin high or no deal.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I understand it, what with trade secrets and patents, etc. You can capture pollution which is CO2 by filtration, absorption, and by chemical conversion (I.e. combustion.) Now, through some process it undergoes the chemical change from carbons with oxygen attached to carbons with hydrogens attached (hydrocarbons.) After that, it can go through the normal lab diamond creation process of vapor distillation and/or high pressure, high heat.

AprilBaby: We already can, looks like companies are working on making the technology that is able to basically filter/scrub CO2 from the air better. The problem is always money: production cost low, profit margin high or no deal.

I love your Avatar picture! Reading is my life!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I love your Avatar picture! Reading is my life!

Thanks! I helped at-risk kiddos with reading and math, and this was one of my inspiration boards for them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results