shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds from Costco

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several years ago, I would have bought one I live close to their flagship store, which is huge, and they have a small number of rings at the counter and way more so in a storage. My friend bought her ring at Costco about 10 years ago and upgraded it several times - the first time, she did not even had a receipt, just kept a Costco box! But her diamond is better than what I see at Costco these days. Most of their certificates do not come from GIA. (I am not discussing the 6-ct offer, just what is in the store). As to more expensive stones, which are GIA-certified... well, you do not see them, just the replicas. I do not know if they would show me the real ring if I wanted do, or they have to order it... hard to tell.

This being said, their return policy and prices are so attractive that they remain a viable alternative.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Great point about the return policy. i know a few guys who could have benefited from that. (broken engagement, gf didn't like diamond shape or ring style) There is a beautiful and EC 3 stone in my neighborhood costco, and it seems pretty reasonably priced. I would buy a fancy cut from them. Probably not RB tho.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with their return policy... Is it that good??

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1314202092|2998269 said:
I'm not familiar with their return policy... Is it that good??

Yes, they are known for accepting returns on almost anything after any period of time. I had an electric toothbrush I bought there that after about six months wasn't holding a charge, they took it back with no receipt and gave me a full refund. They can look up your purchases based on your membership card.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they have a fabulous return policy and because of it, I buy everything I can from Costco. You can return anything, anytime, without the receipt. I've returned stuff that's 2 years old: I had a sapphire bracelet and the clasp came loose, so I returned it for full refund. On jewelry, you really need to return it with their little appraisal paper that has a picture and description of the item (comes in the box). If you buy a single stone that is larger than 1.5 carats, they will need to hold it for a week to send it back to their GIA guys for verification that you didn't switch the stone. Then you get your refund. They always ask for a receipt, so they don't have to take the extra time to go through your purchase history on the computer (to find the transaction) but I just say "no" and they don't care. You can return costco.com purchases at any warehouse.

We bought our big screen (they double the manf warranty) and it developed a dead pixel line after 18 months. I called them. they sent a guy from Sony, who fixed it for free. Then Costco called to be sure I was happy with the service.

We were at the warehouse once, and a guy came in with three flatbeds covered with nasty, gnarly wood. It was a playset that was supposed to be "rot-proof" and it rotted after 3 years. Costco gave him a full refund.

So I buy everything there, because the way things are made these days, I can return it if it breaks. I had an automatic trash can that started flapping open, then wouldn't open at all, after about 2 months, so I returned it. Then I bought a new one there (different manufacturer).

I like Costco jewelry for pieces that have small diamonds and melee, because they guarantee it to all be VS, I or better. Even the melee. I don't know if I would buy an e-ring, though, because I think our guys are still a bit cheaper on the stones. They really are cheaper (about 15%), even with the price increases in diamonds lately. Costco diamonds are up sharply, too. I do love them for earrings and necklaces, though. I've "upgraded" a few times with their return policy.

The reason they can do all these returns is because the manufacturers all love them, and will do ANYTHING to get their business. A single store can do up to $300 million a year in business. Also, manufacturers have a "return allowance" built into their Costco business, because they expect a certain percentage of returns.

I just bought DD a sewing machine on their site, and only because of the return policy. I used to have one, bought at a regular store, but it stopped working after a year and I was out the $$. If this one breaks, I can just return it and get a new one.

So, yes, I would buy the million dollar ring, because I can always return it for what I paid for it. :D

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have diamond studs fom Costo. Love them. One product that I'll only buy from Costco? Vacuums. They always break and Costco takes them back without question.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Aaak the IGI cert. killed it.

Where else can you get a million dollar ring, groceries and lunch all in the same place?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
platinumrock|1314213067|2998396 said:

Where else can you get a million dollar ring, groceries and lunch all in the same place?

All sold by a guy from electronics department! :bigsmile:

BTW - now they have limitations on their computers return policy. It is only 3 months for computers. You can probably exchange it for a similar brand if this one does not work, but you can not just return it after 3 months. I think electronics return policy has recently changed as well, but I am not 100% sure.

I wonder if you buy a diamond, would a gallon of milk be considered an add-on sale? :bigsmile:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1314213768|2998405 said:

All sold by a guy from electronics department! :bigsmile:

BTW - now they have limitations on their computers return policy. It is only 3 months for computers. You can probably exchange it for a similar brand if this one does not work, but you can not just return it after 3 months. I think electronics return policy has recently changed as well, but I am not 100% sure.

I wonder if you buy a diamond, would a gallon of milk be considered an add-on sale? :bigsmile:

OMG, Crasru you are killing me!! lmao!! :lol:

How about if I get the cardigan sweater and gallon of milk for $1 million and I get the ring for free? :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
There's the idea, PR!

Are their CS any good? Certed?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
There's the idea, PR!

I haven't been too impressed with their CS's, actually. I've ordered a few pieces from the website, and returned about half of them. The settings (that the stones are in-don't sell separately) are great, though, really nice. But I ordered a ruby, it was too purple, and an aquamarine, it was too pale, so both returned. Did end up with a nice aquamarine on the next go around, though. In stores, I found a great ruby bracelet (about 6 yrs ago), couple of nice amethyst pieces. But in store, I've also seen some really nasty dark sapphires, and some heavily included rubies lately. On the flip side, I saw a pendant with fabulous little blue sapphires (about 3 mm rounds). So I think the online is the luck of the draw, since all the pieces are sealed up, I don't think they can "pick the best one" for you. Plus their pictures are no indication of anything. Best to check out the CS in person, in the store.

One day, I got curious, and emailed the jewelry people at the website, and they said they "accept only simple heat treatment". I didn't push them further, but you can always email and ask specific questions about CS treatments. I did notice that they disclose if their pearls are dyed.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Different costcos have different jewelry! The one near my work has so-so CS jewelry, but the one near home is amazing. I have to stop myself from buying a LOT of stuff.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy that ring because I didn't think the specs were that great. It didn't score well on the HCA, so if I had that much money
to spend on a ring, I would look for a better cut stone.

That said, I own a lot of Costco jewelry and I find it pretty freakin fantastic. I haven't had a single piece that I haven't loved. I always
know that if a stone came out or I had any problem I could return it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1314220372|2998475 said:
JewelFreak said:
There's the idea, PR!

I haven't been too impressed with their CS's, actually. I've ordered a few pieces from the website, and returned about half of them. The settings (that the stones are in-don't sell separately) are great, though, really nice. But I ordered a ruby, it was too purple, and an aquamarine, it was too pale, so both returned. Did end up with a nice aquamarine on the next go around, though. In stores, I found a great ruby bracelet (about 6 yrs ago), couple of nice amethyst pieces. But in store, I've also seen some really nasty dark sapphires, and some heavily included rubies lately. On the flip side, I saw a pendant with fabulous little blue sapphires (about 3 mm rounds). So I think the online is the luck of the draw, since all the pieces are sealed up, I don't think they can "pick the best one" for you. Plus their pictures are no indication of anything. Best to check out the CS in person, in the store.

One day, I got curious, and emailed the jewelry people at the website, and they said they "accept only simple heat treatment". I didn't push them further, but you can always email and ask specific questions about CS treatments. I did notice that they disclose if their pearls are dyed.

Ilander, with a couple of the pieces I have purchased in the store, they did let me see all the pieces they had so I could pick the best one.
I also have a pink sapphire necklace and a few months after I bought it they got another that had perfect color. I returned the old one
and purchased the new one.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah I have seen that diamond posted before...I think it would eligible for a recut though...octavia anyone??

as an aside I have a green quartz necklace from costco (purchased for me as a gift pre PS) and I really like it! I know nothing about colored stones but I think it is nice

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

HAha

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
be careful,b/c if you read the fine print on their policy it states that their 1 ct stones could weight < 1ct. in other words...a .97 ct stone could be mark as a 1ct stone.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Has anybody bought any jewelry from BJ's? Same return policy?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ETA;Stupid computer not working for me today. Double post . . . :oops:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1314228648|2998576 said:
Ilander, with a couple of the pieces I have purchased in the store, they did let me see all the pieces they had so I could pick the best one.
I also have a pink sapphire necklace and a few months after I bought it they got another that had perfect color. I returned the old one
and purchased the new one.

I am going to give that a try, luv2sparkle!

I know online it's a roll of the dice, but def. going to try that in the store! Thanks!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a lab emerald ring with 4 diamonds on the sides (2 on each) in 14kt. I bought it earlier this summer, and I saw recently that they upped the price (I'd guess due to gold prices) but the price of the ring was cheaper than I could get the setting made.

I have no complaints. And reading about this return policy makes me a happy happy camper...I buy a lot of stuff from Costco!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Do they do repairs? It would be convenient to drop off the ring and shop while it's being worked on!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314243272|2998883 said:
Do they do repairs? It would be convenient to drop off the ring and shop while it's being worked on!

Nope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results