shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds and Vendors

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
I have bought from GOG and recommended them to others, but I wanted to know what the forum thought of GOG. I did some comparison shopping with brick and mortar stores as well as a couple of online vendors. Here is what I found for the same color, carot and clarity...

Many brick and mortar stores use certifications from labs other than GIA/AGS. Price was higher compared to online vendors including GOG. Cut dimensions seemed very inferior to GOG. Also, any diamond I put into the HCA calculator from a brick and mortar store did not score very well.

When comparing GOG to other online vendors, I found that there was a bit of a price differential (GOG being higher). I think the difference was because of cut dimensions. GOG posts numerous pictures showing hearts and arrows and provides a wealth of information on their diamonds. I believe this is the reason their diamonds are a little more expensive than other online vendors, but they are still cheaper than brick and mortar stores for much higher quality diamonds.

Here are some sample dimensions and pics without stats on carot, color and clarity... Can you form an opinion of this diamond based on the below?

Table = 55%
Depth = 62%
Crown < = 35
Pavilion < = 40.80
Cutlet = 0

Megascope (Mega Fire Trace) - Excellent in Brilliance, Fire and Scintillation (not really sure if this means anything).

Sorry if the above seems amateurish but I'm a noob compared to the majority of pricescope posters! :D

_339.png

_340.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks great - and scores well on the HCA (1.6).

So..... are you questioning GOG? I'm confused as to what you are asking.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
njseeker said:
Many brick and mortar stores use certifications from labs other than GIA/AGS. Price was higher compared to online vendors including GOG. Cut dimensions seemed very inferior to GOG. Also, any diamond I put into the HCA calculator from a brick and mortar store did not score very well.
I agree with what you have noticed. My experience with B&Ms was very similar to yours. It's hard to make generalizations that encompass all situations, but my observation was that B&Ms capitalize on impulse buying and many people's fear of buying a diamond sight unseen over the internet. Many also offer easy financing and the "security" of a having a local jeweler with their various cleaning, upgrade, replacement policies. But many online vendors offer similar if not better upgrade and exchange policies. The one vendor I walked into and ran from, The Jewelry Exchange, had most of their certifications from no-name labs. Aside from their uber-crappy cheap products, the fact that they didn't use a reputable lab is an instant dealbreaker.

I have found that online vendors are more accustomed to knowledgable consumers, whereas I didn't find that IRL. Some of the B&Ms I visited when shopping for my ER were put off by my questions and comparisons with stones I had seen online, and that I wasn't swallowing some of the misinformation they tried to use on me. Plus I didn't appreciate the high pressure tactics I got from about 60-70% of the vendors I visited.

As for GOG, I haven't purchased from them yet, but I've got some ideas in the works. :naughty: I have really not heard anything but glowing reviews about Jonathan and his staff. And if they are slightly higher than other online vendors, perhaps it would be prudent to compare their exchange and upgrade policies to make sure the comparisons are equal, and not just cost-specific.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a repeat customer of GOGs, and I've also bought from other vendors on here. Most of which I'd repurchase from. But I'd definitely repurchase from GOG. Without a doubt. What you're paying "more" for is the time and quality of service you're getting. They put a TON of time into all those tests you're getting those results for. They have a lot of equipment that a lot of even online vendors don't have, and surely no other Brick and Mortar has. The price you're paying for that really nice stone gets you what you pay for, a REALLY nice stone, one that most brick and mortars can't get, or couldn't identify if they tried. And couldn't explain WHY it's better if they tried, either.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses. As for what I was looking for... I find these posts are very helpful in settling nerves when making a big investment in a diamond. I really just wanted a sanity check to see whether people on the forum generally agreed with what I found in the marketplace about vendors. I posted the pics of the diamond and the dimensions to see if anyone had any positive or negative reaction to it.

Really? I'm just a nervous nelly! =)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just want to say that I like the backlit-ASET environment. It’s harsher, meaning a great ASET will indicate (even more) a great diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also a repeat customer of GOG. I don't find their prices on round brilliants to be that much different than the other vendors that offer similar services and upgrade policies. I finally bought an AVR which is a specialty cut by GOG, and I felt the price was justified for a stone that is pretty unique.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
njseeker|1399320641|3666723 said:
Thanks for the responses. As for what I was looking for... I find these posts are very helpful in settling nerves when making a big investment in a diamond. I really just wanted a sanity check to see whether people on the forum generally agreed with what I found in the marketplace about vendors. I posted the pics of the diamond and the dimensions to see if anyone had any positive or negative reaction to it.

Really? I'm just a nervous nelly! =)
No need to be nervous buying from GOG they are a first class vendor... :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results