shape
carat
color
clarity

diamondangel, did you buy that pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pelepup

Rough_Rock
Wow, I saw that stone in another thread and it was big and beautiful! Did you buy it? I remember from DT that you liked warm colored stones. My e-ring which was initially appraised in the setting as a J, was actually an M when graded by Dave Atlas'' Lab as a loose stone. I like warm colors so it didn''t bother me, but I was a little worried that we had overpaid. Luckily, with a little research, I''m pretty sure that we paid a fair price (not the steal we had hoped, had it been a J stone). It is set in a platinum setting with another .50 carat of melee diamonds.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
We are in the process of getting that pear through Abazias. I have a 1.61 carat round that is getting a GIA cert right now, and we'll be trading it in towards the pear. GIA is closed this week so the pear will be coming back next Monday. I estimate that I might have the pear by my birthday, which is August 1st.

And since the pear is already GIA certified, and I've previewed the stone in person twice, there won't be any surprises this time!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I saw Diamondangel's pear in a previous thread, and it is beautiful! The l/w ratio on it is close to my 2.07 pear (1:1.67). When I got it last month, I had it set in a plain yg cathedral setting just so I could wear it while deciding on a nice setting. I am trying to decide on an e-ring setting to compliment the pear. I am so confused at all the choices. I like side stones -- either tapered baguettes or trillions, but I want a setting that will sit flush with a wedding ring. I currently have a wide wedding band (8mm wide with 2.0 ct pave diamonds), but I'm thinking of going with something more narrow. The wedding band is very "loud" if you know what I mean, and I want a pair of rings to focus on the beauty of my pear. Of course, my husband thinks I'm a nut with all this back and forth.

Any ideas?

Diamondlil

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
The only way you are going to get a wedding band to sit flush with a pear e-ring is if the pear is in a cathedral type mounting. Something that allows the head (whether it be tiffany style or a basket head) to be raised up just a bit so that there is nothing sticking out. The setting that I'm strongly contemplating does that.

I originally thought I wanted something with a lot of sidestones, but that pear that we're getting is so large that I really don't want a lot going on with the accent stones. The Ingwer setting I want just has a sprinkling of sparkle on the sides in the way of little rounds.

Ingwer.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty setting, Diamondangel. You are right about having to use a cathedral setting. When the jeweler put my pear in a plain gold setting for now, that's the only thing he had that would clear my wedding band. I plan to go to a jewelry show and just try some things on. It's so hard to tell from pictures what will look right on my long fingers (ring size 5.5, ring finger length 7.5 cm). I've been wearing an 8 mm wedding band for 17 years. It will be a big change sizing down to 3 or 4 mm. I've always loved a classic eternity band. I'm leaning toward that with an e-ring with tapered baguettes.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I personally think a thinner ring makes your fingers look more delicate. I wear a 6 in the dead of winter, and a 7 in the dog days of summer. My ring finger is 70.10 mm or 2.78 inches long...3.04" long if you include my nail. I've always chosen thinner rings (under 4.5mm wide) because of the swelling problem. Thinner bands are much more comfortable for me.

You got me interested in measurements of my finger now. The "ring space" of my ring finger is 23mm from bent knuckle to where a ring would be pushed all the way onto my finger...that 12.79 mm pear is going to fill up the ring space on my hand once it's set and the matching wedding band is behind it!

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I forgot to mention gaps between rings drive me insane!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I agree, gaps make me crazy too. Since my fingers are long and thin, I hate when the 2 rings move apart which is a concern with narrower rings. My 8 mm wedding band and e-ring take up almost the entire knuckle to knuckle so this does not happen. My wedding ring is actually a 6. In summer my hands swell and I need that half size to get it over my knuckle. In winter it is a bit loose, but my engagement ring (5.5) holds it from flying off if I throw my hand around (which I tend to do when talking).
2.gif

Now that I have my new pear (11.48 mm long) plus my 8 mm pave wedding band, it is very . . . well . . . flashy. I think a narrower wedding band will put the focus on my icey white pear -- less flashy, more elegant (I hope).

I can't wait to see that 12.79 mm pear in its setting -- Yowza! Take pictures of it on your hand too. We will be able to appreciate the size better that way.

Diamondlil

Zyperiris

Rough_Rock
Da-curious..did you get your pear yet? Last I remember you liked the round you got? What happened?

Anyway I wanted to mention I got a new stone as well. Upgraded my .65 marquise to a 1.04 and got a new channel-set rounds guard to go with it. It is just perfect.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
That's a very pretty setting diamondangel. I like that squared engraved look very much. Whatever setting you go with, just make sure you post pics of your ring when it's finished !

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Haven't gotten it yet, but Oscar at Abazais (sp?) is still holding it for us. We have to find a buyer for my 1.61 carat round first. He's going to list it on his website. If anyone is interested in it, let me know. It looks more like a K face up than an M, and it now has a GIA cert. Asking price is $4800.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results