shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Valuation Worksheet wanted

SColours

Rough_Rock
I heard that these exist in the trade. On the NADB's (North American Diamond Broker) old website they offered to send interested clients a worksheet to do the valuation at home. The only thing I found online was this rather simple version

http://www.diamondkarma.com/diamond...hape=heart&clarity=IF&natural=natural&lab=GIA

and this more complex calculator

http://www.diamondpriceinfo.com/

The latter has an annoying error however because after using it once or twice it becomes unusable for about 2-3 hours and returns a weird error at least when I'm using it...

What I notice from the Diamond Karma quick plugin sheet is that they seem to regard hearts and trilliants as valuable as rounds?! They also presume the old cuts (Flanders, European, Old Miner) are as valuable as rounds. Surely from everything I heard this must be wrong?

Main question though is if anyone has access to a diamond valuation worksheet and would be willing to share :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know where these 2 places are getting there info?

I tried the second link with a very standard diamond and feel that it is low by about $800ish.

The diamond karma link seemed to be a little more accurate.

SColours

Rough_Rock
no but I suppose that there is something in the wild that diamond buyers use and that that's the code behind the diamondpriceinfo site. The diamond karma is probably much more simple based off a list where they say Rapaport 100% is the Retail Price, Rap 70% is the Online Price and so on - all this for rounds and then usually there would be a further discount for wholesale at least of up to 30% when dealing with fancy shapes. And I believe ALL fancy shapes.

I'm surprised the diamond karma regards hearts and trilliants as equal to rounds which seems really odd with regards to whites at least. With colours it's 90% colour I presume so people will look past the shape but with whites I always thought the RB is the undisputed champion of shapes.

adom

Rough_Rock
curious what other knowledgeable people may think of the diamond karma link. I tested it against some stones I am looking at, and I don't see a correlation. thoughts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wondering why you are using it? Are you just curious or are you trying to use it as a bargaining tool?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe there are other predictive methods to suggest the value of a diamond, but it just does not hold up under examination by experts. You might get some idea of the value, but it will almost never be really "right". Consider any potential bias from the source of the tool. Are they buying or selling? How accurate can it be for people who do not have a current GIA report to know how the diamond really grades? A more reliable method would be to look at prices being offered as low retail on Pricescope knowing that the stones cost a bit less in the dealer market and when an individual consumer has a diamond they will be offered almost any number below wholesale imaginable depending on the needs, legitimacy, knowledge and ethics and each buyer making an offer. You can have a buyer who asks you if you will take 20% more than wholesale and you misunderstand and actually think that question was a real offer when it is not an offer. It was just a question to see what you are thinking and how you respond. The buyer can make you a very low offer to see if you are foolish or in need of a drug fix. Even a legitimate and fair offer is often mistaken as an improper offer because the consumer has no idea of the market, but just figures every buyer is a crook. What do you end up with? Doubt, fear, and inaction are the results. Consumers find it difficult to feel good about any offer and dealers find it difficult to make fair offers to highly suspicious potential sellers. It is not easy.

Supply and demand factors cannot be properly weighed by any automated format when it comes to diamond value. Maybe someday, but not today. Using due diligence in seeking a consensus of the value suitable for your purpose is the only safe method. Finding that one buyer who needs the diamond you happen to have for sale, is the goal, but few people have the durability to take it to that level.

SColours

Rough_Rock
@ tyty333

I have a background in finance valueing commodities and real estate and as such I'm always fascinated by a new asset classes I come across such as "diamonds". It's just mental gymnastics I guess :D

@ Oldminer

What you say kind of matches my experience with real estate in a subdued market. If you don't wait for the right buyer to show up you may end up selling at up to 50% below market value.

I did find an outfit in Antwerp which I believe to be one of the big jewelry outfits there http://www.diamondworld.be/cash-for-diamonds.htm and they say they will sell at 10% below the current "diamond market price". Now I'm interested what these prices are and if they are published anywhere?

The only thing I found before was this http://www.ajediam.com/diamond_price_index.html (Antwerp Diamond Center) but this looks very much Rapaport-ish...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every diamond seller who is not selling at the lowest possible price can still make the claim they sell for 10% below the market price. Whether this is true, or not, is up to you to find out. They know there is no way to find out. :wall: :wall: Consumers may feel Rapaport is the "Market Price" and so almost all diamonds might be sold for 10% less. Others may publish a list of diamonds at any price they wish with enough added on to discount them 10%.... It is a joke, but not one we would laugh about. No regulatory agency cares about exaggeration is advertising. Look at how very long EGL International mis-graded diamonds and no one with any power of authority made an issue of it. Caveat Emptor and shop until you understand what it is that you want to purchase BEFORE you say ok.

What makes diamonds more difficult than some other items is that they are not a pure commodity. A specific commodity is so much the same than any individual item of the commodity set is suitable to replace any other. This is not at all the case, even with graded, matched diamonds. They are not directly substitutable. Less well graded or non-matched diamonds are far more usual and not close to being commodities.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results