shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond sizing 0.9+, best size to get without the 1c jump?

KinoChoco

Rough_Rock
Hiya all,

I've been waiting to get 1 carat however due to budget constraints, I was informed that I should get 0.9+ as it's much cheaper than 1 carat and the sizing looks identical as 1 carat.

However, I was looking at some rapaport report, it seems like 0.9 is priced much higher than 0.89 and there's an further indication that 0.95-0.99 has another significant increase in premium. If this is true, does that mean it makes more sense to get either 0.89 or 0.94?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Diamond sizing 0.9+, best size to get without the 1c jum

If this is true, does that mean it makes more sense to get either 0.89 or 0.94?

Theoretically, yes. Realistically, no.

You are right about high premium at certain carat weights. For that exact reason, cutters try their best to maintain the carat weight above psychological 0.9c or 1.0c. Remember 0.94c is only 0.012g short from making a full 1.0c. They simply would not leave stones at those weird weights such as 0.94c or 0.89c while losing hundreds of dollars, whenever possible. Therefore, such shopping strategy will greatly limit your search results and finding a well cut stone becomes nearly impossible.

However, I know that strategy works well for a 0.45~0.49c stone to avoid 0.5c premium, while still getting a 5mm stone. I am not too optimistic for 0.89c or 0.94c stones.

My recommendation is to be more flexible with carat weights (either 0.8c+ or 0.9c+, rather than 0.88~0.89c or 0.94c specifically) and go with an eye-clean stone with the best cut, diameter and value.

Focus on the spread or diameter and depth. Some 0.90c can appear as big as 0.93~0.94c due big spread/low depth.
Just to prove my point. Look at the diameters
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1120592 (actually well cut H SI1)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.94-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-384535

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Diamond sizing 0.9+, best size to get without the 1c jum

A .90 does not look identical to one carat and neither does a .85. There is nothing at all wrong with stones that size. But realistically, they are what they are and they do not look the same as one carat. Some people who want greater size appearance set the diamond in a halo setting.

But yes, there is a premium at .90 and stones very close to 1 ct do not sell at a huge discount. What is your budget?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results