shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size for a pendant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jake88

Rough_Rock
I need some advise from all you experts out there. I am thinking of getting a pendant (princess cut) for my girlfriend. However I don''t know what size is the best. I don''t have a lot of money to spend on this. I was thinking a 0.20 stone. But what color and clearity should I get so that it would look good.

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haaa well if you want my opinion...I am on the hunt for a pendant but I at least want a 1 carat. Yes that's right...a one carat pendant. So maybe I am the wrong person to ask
1.gif

Quick note on the shape...do you know that she would like a princess cut pendant? The reason I ask is because I like princess cut stones and all, but for a pendant I think it should be classic. To me that says a round brilliant, or cushion or a similar round shape. But that's just my two cents. However, if you're not sure what she may like, you might want to try to get an idea before starting to shop.

Also this may not tempt you but eBay can sometimes have great deals on things such as pendants. Stay 'I' color or less, and SI2 clarity or less and you should be fine. Depends on your ideas and what you'd like to spend, but with a pendant, people are not up close to it, and depending on the setting, the cut may not be as visible as it would in a ring, etc. Are you looking to buy a loose stone and set into a pendant or just a pendant with a stone?

For a .28c loose H, VS/SI princess stone, expect to pay around $500 on Pricescope. Better deals most likely on eBay. Just don't go into a Zales or similar and give them your money for an icky SI3 clarity stone that they will tell you is 'eye clean'.

Check out these two eBay auctions...interesting. Didn't find a whole lot of princess diamond pendants in smaller sizes..hmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2627266463&category=15183

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2626783444&category=11002

Speaking of great deals lost forever, I FORGOT to bid on this I/J color I2 1.31c round brilliant stone on eBay yesterday and it went for $660. Yes thats six hundred dollars. The funny thing is that the close up image looked totally eye-clean!! Even though it was an I2. Very interesting. It was EGL USA certed, and looked very clean and white in the closeup. It was set into a 4 prong ring but I wanted it for a pendant. OH WELL. Next time. The other stones from this seller were all great deals as well but this was the only closeup shot that looked really good--the other ones definitely had I clarity characteristics. The stone was a little deep, looked more like it would appear to be a 1.20c than a 1.31c but for $600, who cares.
sad.gif
Boooo. Oh well, I didn't need to spend $600 on jewelry anyway.
5.gif

Aprile

Rough_Rock
I have to agree w/Mara. Unless you are sure she wants a PC you might get more bang for your buck with a different shape. Plus as a woman I have to say that I personally think a RB or eve a pear shape would compliment my style more than a PC.

OT but Mara...don't you just hate it when you get caught up in something else & loose out on a great eBay opportunity??

aprile
15.gif

P.S. Also Jake88, IMO the color of the gold mounting/chain seems to enhance the size. My diamond earrings set in WG seem much larger than the same size in YG. Again, just my opinion.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jake. I really like the look of a fine cut round brilliant in a white gold "doughnut" bezel pendant that makes it look larger. You can increase the "look" of a 0.20 carater to about a 0.35 carat "look", and it looks really classy sliding on a nice white gold "wheat" chain.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I really like the round bezel look for pendants as well and yes it does make the stone look much larger due to the white metal. However..ever since Legally Blonde I have coveted the 2c size prong set pendant that the character wore, in my DREAMS I own that one!
9.gif

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Wow - it can make the stone look that much bigger?

Do you have a pic of a setting like that, Rich or Mara? Would love to have a look.
6.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
This one's in yellow gold, but it will give you the idea. In white gold, casually observed from a normal distance, it definitely makes the diamond look bigger.

This particular setting is from the Stuller company, which most jewelers have overnight access to.

2937[1].jpg

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here you go flower,
Princess_Diamond_Pendant.jpg
, found it doing a search.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the other gals to get a round, bezel-set in white gold. A princess of that size will look rather small as a pendant, but a RB bezel-set will look larger and more classic.

jake88

Rough_Rock
Wow, I didn't expect so many answers. Thanks everyone. I am 50% sure that she wants a princess cut. But when you all were talking about the setting, it occured to me that perhaps I could use a round stone set in a square setting(just with 4 prongs) Is that possible? My main requirement is that I want the stone to sparkle when she wears it. All I know for sure is that she wants a square shaped pendant.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Just one suggestion... A 0.20ct princess has quite a small diameter... I'd look at a round stone or a nice si2 or even i1 pricess, to increase the ct size... At this size even this clarities will (or should
2.gif
) appear quite clean...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hey, look what I found... They are EGL Israel certed, but at this size...

http://www.diamondsafe.com/pendantsItem.asp?id=lpdsm5184&a=2

http://www.diamondsafe.com/pendantsItem.asp?id=lpdsm5206&a=2

On the loose pricesses page there are stones starting at $190...

jake88

Rough_Rock
So a round one would look bigger than the pricess? That is something I have not thought of.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jake!

What a neat gift for your sweetie! If you can't pin her down without giving away the secret, make sure the vendor has a good return policy. That way you can exchange it later for another she would prefer.

I am doing a pendant myself. Saw an emerald cut, bar style bezel set pendant at a local B&M that I liked the look of on the neck model in the case. Didn't like the look on me tho.
1.gif
Also, a local diamond broker told me she has been selling lots of "square" stones (princess cuts, etc.). She said square cuts seem to be in with brides-to-be right now.

I looked at more than a few ready to go pendants and decided I like the pear shaped and rounds the best. I decided to go round brilliant because it is elegant and timeless. Mounted in white gold, the diamond will appear larger whatever size you get.

2.gif

jake88

Rough_Rock
Again thanks to everyone that replied here. I saw on an internet site (I forgot which one now...I'll have to go back through the browsers history to find it) a .20 G/SI2 for about 200. Would that be a good deal and would it look nice...for a pendant that is.

Thanks

jake88

Rough_Rock
Again thanks to everyone that replied here. I saw on an internet site (I forgot which one now...I'll have to go back through the browsers history to find it) a .20 G/SI2 for about 200. Would that be a good deal and would it look nice...for a pendant that is.

Thanks

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich and Tonysgeko for posting the pics.

Just goes to show how important it is to consider carefully what setting to use, whether it's for a ring or a pendant or whatever..

I think the pendant would look great, Jake. G SI2 is definitely fine!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is this G/SI 2 round or princess??

jake88

Rough_Rock
It's a Princess cut.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Oh ok! So are you getting it??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a good deal!!
1.gif

jake88

Rough_Rock
I have decided to get it from a local shop where I am getting the engagment ring made. I told them that I saw a stone for that price and they matched without a problem. I'll post pics of the ring and pendant when I pick it up. Thanks everyone for the help, especially for the pictures. The stone for the pendant was a .20 G/SI2 Princess. I am having it set in a four pronged setting (since that is what she likes).

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Great! Congratulations on your purchase. Can't wait to see the pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results