shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring Upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
As you can see this one is of the 6 prong.
2.gif

6prong247.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 7:41:22 PM
Author: CinnamonTea
Thank you everyone.
The first stone 0.58 has a bigger carat weight then the new one 0.53,
but the 0.53 appears alot larger because it is a better cut and has a better spread and large diameter.
I''ve wanted to (scince I got the new ring)
to make the 0.58 ct stone into a pendant.
But i''ve read that deep cut stones donot work well for pendant stones.
So I haven''t acted yet.
I still want to tho.
Any Ideas?
I was thinking either a pendant
or a right hand ring in a non-solitare like design?
like maybe an antique like style with milgraining ooooo
30.gif

Congrats on your new ring- I am a big proponent of "recycling" and just set a rather deeply cut 1.00 ct OEC stone into a pendant.
If you go w/ a bezel or even better a halo bezel setting, it will definitely maximize the size and sparkle! The setting of my new pendant makes the OEC look SO much larger than it did in the 4 prong setting it was in before.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Your pendant looks very beautiful. Thank you for your help.
21.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Nice rings, CinnamonTea! I like them both, but the ideal cut is definitely more fiery than the old one. It will make a beautiful pendant. Can''t wait to see what you decide to do with it
1.gif

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Yes I will most likely make the deep-cut (6-prong) into a pendant. I don''t really like tradtional bezel setting, so we will have to see. I do like the look of a bezel set halo tho. I was thinking a 4 prong basket pendant would help with the light, but maybe not? The project needs more thought.
34.gif

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Still thinking... but here''s a picture! lol.
20.gif

4and6prong247.jpg

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
I wish I didn''t have to resize these pictures. They look SO MUCH better before sizing.
38.gif

4and6prong247a.jpg

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 12:13:59 AM
Author: CinnamonTea
Still thinking... but here''s a picture! lol.
20.gif

Your new stone does look larger than your old one? What is the actual spread distance? I''m just wondering if there is a difference in spread, or if it is an optical illusion from the better cut and 4 prong vs 6 prong setting.

I love your new ring!

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Okay to answer your question

Here are the measurements of both stones.

6-prong: 5.02 - 5.01 x 3.50 mm ( 0.58 ct )

4-prong: 5.25 - 5.27 x 3.16 mm ( 0.53 ct )

As you can see from the numbers, yes the 4 prong has a larger spread.

However I honestly think that the 4-prong stone would look even bigger if it was mounted into the 6-prong mounting.
This is because the band on the 6-prong is alot smaller in width and thickness: ( a thinner smaller band will always make a stone look bigger. )
As far as the 4-prong 6-prong thing goes I think that the 4-prong lets you view more of the diamond, also helps with the sparkle factor.

Also keep in mind I have gigantor fat fingers lol so my stone and ring looks smaller then it would on a thin lengthy hand.
20.gif

Another thing I like to point out (because ima freak lol) is the difference in table sizes.

The 6-prong has about a 54-56% table ( tends to have more fire )

The 4 prong has a 58% table ( is an all around fire-cracker )

Which just makes these stones behave VERY different from eachother in lighting.

Another thing I like alot is the difference in weight between both of the rings.

The 6-prong is set in a light weight 14kt white gold mounting. (feels light like a feather)

The 4-prong is set in a heavy duty platinum mounting. (feels heafty like a rock lol)

I love my new ring too! lol
9.gif

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all that information! It is so cool to compare the two diamonds, and it is amazing that there is that much of a spread distance from the deep stone to the ideal stone. It really shows that it pays to get the ideal stone, even if size is the most important aspect you are looking for (we all know that cut is most important regardless) Enjoy your new ring and new pendant (when it''s done).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks much bigger. Awesome:) Very happy for u
36.gif
36.gif

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Well I won''t be getting my earrings back for a long time. We ran into alot of trouble. I am very upset about it too. All I can say is never use UPS shipping!
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results