shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Purchase &Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

positiv

Rough_Rock
My GF generally likes princess diamonds and white gold. The only thing I''m unsure of is the setting (plain, side diamonds, etc). Because I want this to be a surprise, I obviously don''t want to ask her "hey, what engagement ring setting would you like for your surprise proposal?"

So does this scenario make sense? Buy the well-researched loose rock... propose with the rock in a box, within the refund period, then go together to buy the ring and the wedding bands.

How does that sound? Or do women typically prefer having something to put on their finger when proposed to?

The drawback to this is... if I''ve budgetted a certain amount, depending on whether she likes a plain solitaire, or if she likes baguettes, that could be an additional $1000 difference which could skew the budget. Does that make sense?

positiv

Rough_Rock
By the way, I just found this site yesterday and it's been very helpful!!! You all seem to be very knowledgable!!!
twirl.gif

dfujita

Rough_Rock
Im in the same boat. I decided to just ask her. But, that was a mistake. She left me a magazine ad from Tiffany and Co. pointing at the one she wanted.

Then I went to Tiffany and Co. and they wanted 12K for that ring.
14.gif

So I just decided to ask her what she wanted besides that ring, so now I have an idea.

BTO

Rough_Rock
What's your time-frame like? If you really want her to have something to put on her finger, I'd suggest ordering a few catalogs and play "dumb" when they arrive at your house, claiming to have been added to some catalog spam list. Most women would naturally want to have a peek. See what she comments on, or just ask her what catches her eye. Maybe that would help narrow the choices. If she already knows what she wants, she might make a comment like "that would be really nice with round stones instead of baguettes" or "I like the look of a tradition tiffany style solitaire."

Although, I think the diamond in the box would actually be really sweet, should you choose to go that route.
1.gif
But only you know your sweetie best!

Just my 2 cents...
3.gif

Brandy

aliciamt7

Rough_Rock
Another idea you could do (I got this from a good friend who recently got married, and it's a good idea if you're unsure of the setting) is to get a beautiful stone that you want, set it very plainly in a solitaire (14k solitaire settings are inexpensive) and that way she'll be able to wear it immediately. Then you guys can go together later on (when you can pull together some more money) to pick out the setting she wants. This will enable her to pick out a setting (if she wants something other than a solitaire) and you will be able to spend your initial money on the stone that you want!

My friend got a beautiful diamond ring set pretty plainly for the proposal, and she's been wearing it since (it's been a year and a half and she's married now), but she says that eventually she'll get it reset when time's right and when they get the money to really be able to put it toward a beautiful setting so she'll have her perfect ring. Good luck in your decision!!

Alicia

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Positiv,

Dude, get real. Put that new rock in a plain Tiffany style ring and give it to her so she can show it off. This is a big deal to the ladies and they want to shout to the roof tops and show everyone their diamond. A plain Tiffany style white or yellow gold ring doesn't cost hardley anything and she will get good use out of it in just the first day. Hand her a diamond with no setting and what can she do with it? Nothing!!! OK maybe she can carry it around in the palm of her hand and show people and drop it. Think man!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/4/2003 6:22:27 PM dfujita wrote:
Im in the same boat. I decided to just ask her. But, that was a mistake. She left me a magazine ad from Tiffany and Co. pointing at the one she wanted.

Then I went to Tiffany and Co. and they wanted 12K for that ring.
14.gif

So I just decided to ask her what she wanted besides that ring, so now I have an idea.

----------------
Most of the ring styles sold by Tiffany are not exclusive to Tiffany's, thus you could probably find the same style a ring from any of the vendors who contribute to these forums at a fraction of the price because you'll be paying for the diamond, not the name.

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi Positiv,
You know your GF likes Princess cuts and white gold Great Start! Surprise perfect way to go. I must say the idea of a loose rock is rather special. My opinion, I do think the majority of females would find it hard to contain themselves in such a situation and would be wanting to show of the rock without delay. Your GF may secretly have a design in mind, but I'm sure the design you give her will be the one that she will love the most. Please let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results