shape
carat
color
clarity

DIAMOND NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I am about to ask my girlfriend to be my fiance, and I needs some advice. I can only afford about $3000. I am comfortable with I color and Si1 clarity and have found a few diamonds I can afford online...my real concern is Cut. How important is cut..? I am just looking for something that looks nice. I have found two diamonds that I am interested in so far..so any advice would be appreciated...I have listed them below...They are a little off the mark on Proportions..but will they still look nice..?

1) Round 1.00 carat, SI1, I color, Depth = 60, Table = 58, Polish = VG, Symetry = Gd, no flr, Measurements: 6.47 x 6.58 x 3.94, GIA CERT, PRICE: $2932.00

2) Round 1.01 carat, SI1, I color, Depth = 63, Table = 62, Polish = VG, Symetry = GD, no flr, Measurements: 6.19 x 6.26 x 4.01, GIA CERT, PRICE: $2760.00

I know these are not the perfect stones... but will the proportions look nice to an average person.. I am not concerned with what a professional would really think if I had to trade it in or something, just how my future fiance would feel...She is not a spoiled woman, but I want to get here the biggest and best I can for the $$ I have.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hey! My Response is in bold.
----------------
On 3/8/2003 1:28:41 PM mtrb wrote:
I am about to ask my girlfriend to be my fiance, and I needs some advice. I can only afford about $3000. I am comfortable with I color and Si1 clarity and have found a few diamonds I can afford online...my real concern is Cut. How important is cut..? Cut Cut Cut is the most important factor in determining the brilliance of a diamond. I am just looking for something that looks nice. I have found two diamonds that I am interested in so far..so any advice would be appreciated...I have listed them below...They are a little off the mark on Proportions..but will they still look nice..?

1) Round 1.00 carat, SI1, I color, Depth = 60, Table = 58, Polish = VG, Symetry = Gd, no flr, Measurements: 6.47 x 6.58 x 3.94, GIA CERT, PRICE: $2932.00

2) Round 1.01 carat, SI1, I color, Depth = 63, Table = 62, Polish = VG, Symetry = GD, no flr, Measurements: 6.19 x 6.26 x 4.01, GIA CERT, PRICE: $2760.00

It seems like you are fixed on getting your potential fiance a stone which is around 1 carat. If you drop the weight a little you can get a superior cut stone if your willing to compromise on the weight. A beautifully cut stone will actually look larger because of it's cut. If the priority is based on the choices above I would stick with choice 1. The Depth & Table % on selection 2 are steep. Proportionately choice one is definitely your better option.
I know these are not the perfect stones... but will the proportions look nice to an average person.. I am not concerned with what a professional would really think if I had to trade it in or something, just how my future fiance would feel...She is not a spoiled woman, but I want to get here the biggest and best I can for the $$ I have.
----------------
Hope This helps-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
10.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A beautifully cut stone will actually look larger because of it's cut.

Hope This helps-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
10.gif
Attached is an image from the tutorial on this forum that illustrates what I'm talking about. Check out the 3 different stones and then the one on the far right. You see what I mean.....

-Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Joshexample.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results