color
clarity

Diamond - keep or exchange?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
That grading report clarity plot looks scary! but the stone looks very clean in the video.

Nice find! (As always! :)))

This stone is slightly cheaper then the H VS2 and its BIGGER!! The clarity plot report is definitely scary.... is that big cloud not a concern at all?

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting. Ok, to me the diamond very clearly has transparency issues due to cloud being the clarity setting inclusion and “additional clouds not shown”. I thought I saw that the stone looked cloudy/not crisp in the photo, but this confirms it for me. I am actually quite surprised that one else is seeing this. Nonetheless, don’t feel that you need to stick with a diamond that doesn’t make you happy. Exchange it for the E/VVS or another stone. There are so many diamonds out there, so my advice is not to settle.

I was worried about the clouds in the clarity plot....... I am honestly having trouble finding other good options on blue nile that are within my budget. Maybe I am going about looking the wrong way.....

Reactions: AV_

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
What are your thoughts on an E with strong blue fluor?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting. Ok, to me the diamond very clearly has transparency issues due to cloud being the clarity setting inclusion and “additional clouds not shown”. I thought I saw that the stone looked cloudy/not crisp in the photo, but this confirms it for me. I am actually quite surprised that one else is seeing this. Nonetheless, don’t feel that you need to stick with a diamond that doesn’t make you happy. Exchange it for the E/VVS or another stone. There are so many diamonds out there, so my advice is not to settle.

This should not be a transparency issue with VS2...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I was worried about the clouds in the clarity plot.

I think ˋthat I am seeing them on your finger as well. It took me over a day to come back to this because everything is so faint & I cannot really be ure! The way to tell wther H is hazy all over is to compare side by side with another diamond. [the effect looks too much like glare or compression artefacts on pictures]

This might make you wonder what bit me to recommend the SI2 @KKJohnson ,-)
- I think I am seeing the extentand nature of hte 'cloud' on that plot & neither it nor the smudge of the crystal put me off.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

This is what I kept telling myself yesterday too. There is glow in the picture with the stone on hand in the sun. [I cannot know if this is texture in the stone or something or other about the picture] Then, I love the effect - ,( ... it is painful for me to keep arguing against my own taste [biting tongue & all]

AV_

Ideal_Rock
KWIM ...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You would think that but personally, I have been many VS2 stones in the recent years that have transparency issues due to clouds, which is why I avoid them. It’s totally fair if others don’t feel the same way.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
You would think that but personally, I have been many VS2 stones in the recent years that have transparency issues due to clouds, which is why I avoid them. It’s totally fair if others don’t feel the same way.

Is there anything I can do with the stone in hand to check if there is transparency issues?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t love your diamond, you should definitely exchange it. I don’t see any transparency issues with your current diamond, but maybe my eyesight isn’t as good as it used to be. I have a VS2 stone that has a similar clarity plot and the additional clouds not shown statement, and I don’t think mine has clarity issues. But every stone has to be reviewed in person to make sure. The E stone you like looks like a beauty if you don’t mind dropping below 1 carat.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
If you don’t love your diamond, you should definitely exchange it. I don’t see any transparency issues with your current diamond, but maybe my eyesight isn’t as good as it used to be. I have a VS2 stone that has a similar clarity plot and the additional clouds not shown statement, and I don’t think mine has clarity issues. But every stone has to be reviewed in person to make sure. The E stone you like looks like a beauty if you don’t mind dropping below 1 carat.

I was telling myself to just keep it.. it is beautiful... but then the cloud comments worry me.... I was worried about the clouds before I made the purchase...... and although the E stone is gorgeous, I am not sure I want to drop below 1 carat.....

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
@Krista Williams - I am not sure if your upgrade is tied to a certain jeweler (BN) or if Canada makes it more complex to purchase through PP, but there is a pendant priced to sell on the PS preloved board that has an ideal diamond sized a smidge bigger, and you would get a sweet pendant setting to boot! Seller seems “motivated”... https://www.pricescope.com/communit...8k-white-gold-4-prong-martini-pendant.252714/

Wow it's gorgeous... I love the pendant and how you can see the diamond from the back.

I am tied to BN with upgrading my 0.76 G SI1. Also, the pendant is selling for $8000 USD, and I paid $8500 CAD for my diamond. $8000 USD is alot more then $8500 CAD

L

lydial

Wow it's gorgeous... I love the pendant and how you can see the diamond from the back.

I am tied to BN with upgrading my 0.76 G SI1. Also, the pendant is selling for $8000 USD, and I paid $8500 CAD for my diamond. $8000 USD is alot more then $8500 CAD

She dropped the price to 6k!

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to be done with this diamond business!!! I dont want to look for diamonds anymore...... I just want to enjoy a quality cut, sparkly diamond on my finger. I still haven't come up with WHAT bothers me about my diamond .

Which would YOU go with.....

Current H VS2

G VVS2

E VVS2

Happy New Year!

The E VVS2 is a gorgeous diamond, but so is the G VVS2 and I think that if you will have this upgrade for a while, it will be nice to cross the 1ct mark and I also believe that you will appreciate the size difference.

Please insist that BN price matches the stone per their price match policy, here is a competitor’s listing: https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.03-ct-G-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D44427601

The diamond is stunning!

ETA: I just saw that the prices are actually about the same so disregard the price match comment bc CAD vs USD, but I still vote for the 1.03 G VVS2.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to be done with this diamond business!!! I dont want to look for diamonds anymore...... I just want to enjoy a quality cut, sparkly diamond on my finger. I still haven't come up with WHAT bothers me about my diamond .

Which would YOU go with.....

Current H VS2

G VVS2

E VVS2

lol

I know what you mean - analysis paralysis is a real thing, and having to make a call when you aren't able to get all the options in front of you and pick from them at the same time makes things a lot harder.

Looking back through the thread, it looks like you have a mental block with regards to the Clouds comments on your current stone - and that may be clouding your judgement maybe? (Pun intended ;-) LOL)

But seriously, clouds can have an effect that is visible, even if not documented within the clarity section of the grading report. Garry H posted a D IF stone grading report the other day that he said had been downgraded by the vendor due to transparency issues (IIRC).

Does that mean the G VVS2 could be a good option? Well, it also mentions clouds in the report, but I would hope/expect them to be less in terms of both size and performance impact than the H VS2 of your current stone, but then the D IF stone mentioned above suggests the GIA grading system is still not perfect...

Should you therefore go for the E VVS2 with Faint fluorescence? No clouds are mentioned in the grading report, only pinpoints, so that is promising. It is less than 1ct, though, which is your preferred lower boundary.

All of the options therefore have some sort of compromise involved (as always!) but it seems clear that you haven't bonded with your current stone, therefore a change is needed.

All of your current stones have short LGFs and crowns that are medium to high (within the PS-recommended ranges) so it seems you are attracted to the 'fat arrows' look, which with the crown angle, should also bring the opportunity for increased Fire.

Do you like the chunky facet under the table? Would you prefer skinnier arrows and a more 'splintery' light return? If the latter, we need to be looking at stones with longer (nearer 80%) LGFs.

Are you keen on the amount of coloured fire you are seeing now? Would you prefer more? Or would you prefer more white light return? If the latter, we need to be looking for different angle combinations and measurements.

Is the stone's light return and faceting 'crisp' when you look at it? Do the facets turn on and off sharply? Does the patterning seem sharp-edged? Does it look at all hazy?

Are you seeing tint in the stone in flat lighting and wishing it was less tinted?

Have you considered the more vintage-style of stones out there, with (usually) larger facets, larger and slower reflections, and a less 'active' look?

Could you even be a stepcut kinda gal? :D lol

It is hard to put into words what we can't pin down, but just throw some words at the page and let's see if we can work it out with you! :))

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wanted to throw some more money at the issue, this 1.14ct G VVS1 has size, better colour, better clarity, and is only a couple of hundred more than the 1.03. It has Strong Blue fluorescence, though, which you may or may not like, and would need to be checked for any hazy or oily characteristics:

There are quite a few stones with variable amounts of fluor in the listings - they trade at a discount, so if you are happy with fluor, you can get a bump in spec for a given budget :)

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I dont mind fluorescence .. strong is a bit scary, but as long as there is no hazy or oily characteristics.... Also, I kinda do have a preference to the chunky arrow look, but I am not against thinner arrows...... technically I have this diamond on hold, but its even more money .... https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12679009 .... is the extra expense of this one worth it?

I do really like the 1.14 carat mentioned above.... is it an issue that the arrows are not really black and clear? I know a bit about diamonds, but I have it in my head that the arrows should be very dark and crisp....

The H VS2 that I currently have has amazing sparkle and fire.... I dont think I could ask for better... I am happy with that (although I dont have anything else to compare to)... I like the coloured fire I am seeing..... I guess its when I am looking into the diamond when there isnt sparkle and fire, that I dont like what I am seeing in there..... its grainy.... would a higher clarity be less grainy, or are diamonds just grainy?

I do prefer a G over an H for sure.... I see my 48 hour hold has expired on the E VVS2... but as someone else mentioned.... I DONT plan on ever upgrading again... so having over the 1.00 mark would be nice,.... since this is what I was originally upgrading for... to go from 0.76 to at least 1.00 ....

I will go through the comments above again and answer anything I missed... I am going to call Blue Nile and ask about the 1.14 above.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Krista Williams I much prefer the 1.20 you have on hold vs the 1.14, especially if this is your (likely) forever stone. What is your top budget again?

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
It's kinda a story ... I don't really have a top budget.... After I bought my G VS1 0.76, I said I was going to save up to upgrade to 1 carat. My mother, who lived with us and was very sick with COPD said to do it with her money when she passes away...... So this is what I am doing. I spent $8500 CAD on the H VS2. That was the max I wanted to spend.... But at this point, I am willing to spend a bit more to get a diamond I love.

I do really like the 1.20 H VVS2... It's more money but I can do it..... I'd rather it be a G, but it's not a big deal

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's kinda a story ... I don't really have a top budget.... After I bought my G VS1 0.76, I said I was going to save up to upgrade to 1 carat. My mother, who lived with us and was very sick with COPD said to do it with her money when she passes away...... So this is what I am doing. I spent $8500 CAD on the H VS2. That was the max I wanted to spend.... But at this point, I am willing to spend a bit more to get a diamond I love.

I do really like the 1.20 H VVS2... It's more money but I can do it..... I'd rather it be a G, but it's not a big deal

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your mother :( I understand and that is so very sweet and generous of her.

Ok let me see if I can find anything else interesting on BN. What was the trade in value of your 0.76?

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your mother :( I understand and that is so very sweet and generous of her.

Ok let me see if I can find anything else interesting on BN. What was the trade in value of your 0.76?

I took care of my Mom for 5 years.... this past year was really really tough. My mom was always so thankful for us, and everything we did for her. We were also living across the country from her, but when she got sick (7 years ago) we came home to be with her, take care of her, and give her all the time she wanted with her grandbabies.

My trade in value was $3200....(I made a mistake above, it was a G SI1 0.76) I would love it if you had a look on BN and sent anything interesting my way!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took care of my Mom for 5 years.... this past year was really really tough. My mom was always so thankful for us, and everything we did for her. We were also living across the country from her, but when she got sick (7 years ago) we came home to be with her, take care of her, and give her all the time she wanted with her grandbabies.

My trade in value was $3200....(I made a mistake above, it was a G SI1 0.76) I would love it if you had a look on BN and sent anything interesting my way!

You obviously don’t need to hear this from a stranger on the internet, but you and your husband are good, good, selfless people. Your mom was so lucky and I am sure beyond grateful to have you and your family close to her when she needed you the most. Time with our loved ones is never enough, but I am happy that you got to be with your mom in her final years. I can’t imagine what you have gone though. I am certain that your mom is watching over you & your little ones.

It took me a little longer to find something worthy and this is probably really pushing the budget. However, I figured I’d share it. Some will say that it is “outside of the recommended proportions” because it is a FIC stone, nonetheless I think that it will be absolutely stunning!

Here is the BN listing. And here is where you can see the diamond. Thoughts?

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
@SimoneDi thank you so much for the kind words

That diamond is gorgeous, and I love that it is an F and 1.23carats..... I don't know anything about FIC diamonds.. .... I have read that 35.5 sometimes goes with 40.6 .....

I don't know how I'm going to decide lol
I just found this one, is it any good?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results