shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Help Please

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this stone for an engagement ring or something else? Is the stone for you or your SO?

Edit
I stopped at your first stone because it is not well cut so I'm going to give you some pointers to help you find well-cut stones.

Use the Pricescope search option located near the top menu? It will help to point you to good (as in well-cut) stones.

Also, you can run stones through the HCA tool to see how well cut they are. Look for stones that score 2 or less.

Also...to help pick out stones that have potential...here is a quick guide

Depth 60-62.3%
Table 54-58%
Crown 34-35 (sometimes up to 35.5) degree
Pavilion 40.6-41 degree

Crown and pavilion have a reverse relationship. 34 crown pairs better with 41 pavilion. 35 crown pairs with 40.6 pavilion.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

BionicNY

Rough_Rock
The ring is for my engagement ring.

BionicNY

Rough_Rock
I understand everything except crowns and pavilion.

Can you post place a few rings from Blue Nile or Eternity by Yoni that's 0.5-0.65 carats that you think is well cut?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget, and are you open to other vendors beyond those two?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to eek out a little more size at a different vendor.

BionicNY

Rough_Rock
I prefer these two vendors. I'm working with Yoni to make a custom made ring. He said he can get most stones for sale that are on Blue Nile besides their Astor ideal. It would be diamond center stone with a blue sapphire halo.
I tried a few diamonds with the HCA scale and some GIA #s it couldn't find and others the results were bad. I used the 3 chances and I couldn't do it anymore.
I am perfectly fine with a 0.5+ as long it is eye clean and not over $1,400.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget gentlemen. :cool2:

I'd pass on the 8 you initially posted. But here are a couple of alternatives you may find to your liking.

0.70ct J SI1 @ $1,372

57 table, 61.7 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF

Proportions look promising. Also, gets a 0.9 HCA score. Looking at the video, it has a nice arrows pattern visible. Also a little larger than the others you were looking at but still within budget, and got you into an SI1 clarity stone that should be eye clean.

CaptureHCA.PNG

0.50ct J VS2 @ $936

55 table, 61.8 depth, 34 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF

Another stone with promising proportions, and another good HCA score of 0.9. Tossing this one out there as I noticed many of your stones were $1,000 or less I had just assumed while $1,400 may be your max budget, you may prefer a lesser expensive option.

CaptureHCA2.PNG

BionicNY

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results