shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond hardness

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Just be curious to know to what extent does a diamond's hardness, being a 10 on the Mohs scale, play into your love of the stone, appreciating that it can stand up to a lifetime of wear etc.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds hardness is a part of their charm. I would think their sparkle being their most adored attribute. But don’t ever mistake a diamonds Mohos “hardness” of 10 with being indestructible. Hardness in this scale relates to abrasion resistance. Hit a diamond with a hammer and it will crumble into a pile of shards. I actually believe Quartz (marble) is “toughest” in terms of impact resistance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are hard to afford. :mrgreen:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Hardness is part of their charm, I like that. I love my two sapphire rings but for wearing daily I tend to reach for my diamond one. I might be too afraid of abrasions but i do enjoy looking at them under different light conditions.

Diamonds are hard to afford Kenny but they're also hard to resist.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it plays more into my wallet...I would not be willing to spend that amount of money on something that could not hold up fairly well to everyday wear. Unfortunately, as others have stated, we know that with one bad hit we could lose it all.:(sad

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always found it interesting that the word diamond comes from the Greek word for tough/hard. And then i start thinking about other words with that root....and I realize I'm a bit weird. I like the fact that only another diamond can scratch it because I'm not the kind of person who babies her rings.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm practical, so yes, it is a diamond's hardness that draws me in. I love coloured stones too, but you can't necessarily replace one exactly if you chip it, like you could with a diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results