shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond gift ideas for an incredible mom

cavluv

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PSers!

This is my first post but I have been lurking for awhile. In fact, it was PS that led my (now) fiancé to abandon Tiffany and create an even better ring which has been adorning my left hand for the past week or so...but that story is for another post! But as an aside, to anyone who is reading this forum in lurk mode, please do yourself a favor and explore the possibility of dealing with a PS vendor...you won't be sorry! Onto my question...

So my amazing mom is turning 60 on May 5th. This also coincides with my graduation from grad school and my parents will be visiting for graduation. I have been wracking my brain to think of something that is symbolic, but still practical. Also, this is for a woman who regularly gets jewelry from my dad.

My only idea thus far is to get her a DBTY necklace and see if it can be made with 6 diamonds to represent 6 decades. Here are my concerns:

1. Will 6 stones throw the necklace "off?"
2. Budget. I am a grad student and won't start working until August so I really would love to keep the price under $1k.
3. Her reaction. I've never seen these necklaces in person, but I know my mom is accustomed to nice pieces. That said, her jewelry is in no way ostentatious. Her engagement ring is a simple, but perfect, marquise and she has a very blingy, but classic, emerald cut eternity band on her RH.
4. Time. Is May 5th a reasonable delivery time for a DBTY that has to be custom-made?

I am open to other suggestions, and thank you for all your help!

EDIT: I have an email in to Whiteflash to ask about doing a necklace and what the price would be.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a great idea. I can't answer most of your questions, but I have a Tiffany DBTY necklace and it is a beautiful classic IMO. Simple and timeless. So I think her reaction would be good as it sounds like she likes simple and classic jewelry. My necklace has just three stones though....I am not sure how six would look. Obviously they would have to be spaced differently...
Good luck!

cavluv

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that link! Sheerah @ Whiteflash just called a little while ago and she is checking whether production can make a 6-stone version with their standard .07 pointers. It would be nice to go 6 x .10 pointers for a .60 CTW necklace (more symbolic for a 60th birthday), but she thought that would definitely put it over our $1k budget. I will direct her to that photo for spacing stats.

cavluv

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, that's beautiful!! I also called ID Jewelry to get a price on a 16" 18k white gold with 6 x .10 pointers to see if we can get it on budget. I asked for VS quality F/G melee. Does anyone have a strong preference of going with one vendor (ie. Whiteflash) over ID Jewelry?

I am getting really excited now...been looking at DBTY pics and I think my mother will be surprised AND love it! Thanks again, everyone!!

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I helped my boss with a push present for his wife for baby number 4. It was a DBTY bracelet from BGD with 4 diamonds. It was feminine and so pretty! She loves it! I think it's a fabulous idea!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
cavluv|1334250771|3169365 said:
Oh my gosh, that's beautiful!! I also called ID Jewelry to get a price on a 16" 18k white gold with 6 x .10 pointers to see if we can get it on budget. I asked for VS quality F/G melee. Does anyone have a strong preference of going with one vendor (ie. Whiteflash) over ID Jewelry?

I am getting really excited now...been looking at DBTY pics and I think my mother will be surprised AND love it! Thanks again, everyone!!

I think either WF or ID will be great for this project, we've seen great results on DBTY pieces from both vendors, just go with the one that's most under budget. :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this idea!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on cavluv - I think it'll be gorgeous, and she'll be thrilled! :love: :bigsmile:

If you do want the 10 6pointers would another stone be an option? Or maybe an alternating design?

cavluv

Rough_Rock
That's another interesting idea, Yssie!

LuAnn at IDJ called and said that 18k white gold, .60 CTW (6 x .10 pointers) in F/G VS quality is $1250. She is checking with Yekutiel (unsure of spelling) to see if changing to 14k WG will bring price down or if there is something else they can do. She suggested spacing the 6 stones evenly across the front and leaving more space at the back...basically starting stone stations at the shoulders.

I am still waiting for a price from Whiteflash. They did tell me they could not do .10 pointers in my budget so we will see what 6 x .07 pointers on 18k WG will cost. I'm thinking that the .10 pointers would really be nice visually.

My brother is now contributing too, although he is also a graduate student finishing law school so in same financial boat as me :) No matter the size, I think my mom will appreciate her children doing something together for her!

I had no idea how fun it is to shop for jewelry!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
if not a DBTY necklace, what about a bracelet? or a single larger stone in a bezel in a bracelet? OR... brother buys the matching bracelet to your necklace gift.... or stud earrings? .60ctw?

Wonderful gift idea! IDJ will definitely work within your budget.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Furthering Yssie's suggestion, I just want to share what I'm doing for my MIL's 70th birthday. I had the same idea you did - one stone for each decade. But I'm doing a birthstone theme and there will be 7 stones total, 5 for her grandchildren and 2 for her children. I sourced the birthstones myself on eBay (they are all oval shaped, 7mm x 5mm) and I've dropped them off at my jeweler to be bezeled and put on 18kt gold chain.

No matter what you decide on, I'm sure your mom will be thrilled with such a thoughtful gift! I can't wait until the day my kids can buy bling for their mama. :cheeky:

cavluv

Rough_Rock
Wow Sapphire...that sounds gorgeous! I love doing sentimental things like that.

It looks like we are probably going with the ID Jewelry option. It's a bit over budget, but I really think it's worth it to get 6 x .10 pointers.

The stock ring on Whiteflash is $900 for 7 x .07 in 18K. Cutting that down to 6 x .07 stones actually increased the price by $375. I guess going semi-custom adds a lot of expense.

Thanks again to all for the input...I will post pictures when it's done!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a seven station with 7 pointers and it's nice. Mine is with a heavier chain and it really helps with the flipping issue, so I wanted to suggest that if you like a thicker chain-- especially a bead cut chain at 1.5 or 2.0 mm-- they look really amazing with thicker chains.

You can do 6 stations, or 7 and the seventh would be the 'one to grown on' station.

Welcome, by the way! :wavey: :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results