shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond earring for a guy

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I think of having my left ear pierced, but I'm not sure...
The only reason is I love diamonds.
But I'm afraid my entourage will criticize me if I do it.
I'm 43 years old and I don't look hot or macho, so it's perhaps not suited.
Other concerns are: is it easy to wear it and to take it off, will I manage to wear it without leaving fingerprints on it, etc.
And as I don't like bezel set diamonds, I don't know what setting I would buy.
It would be a 0.6-0.79 D-E-F VVS-VS1.
Do you have some advices / opinions? Thank you!
PS: there is no hurry, I won't do this before February.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, not too many people think much of it. If you were putting in a nose ring or face tattoos...maybe. Otherwise, if you want it get it! And yes you do get fingerprints on the diamond putting it on. I useually get them off with a q-tip.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have an entourage? I have a vision of security staff, guys in suits, and super-pretty ladies bringing you coffee on demand :D lol

I think @gregchang35 has his ears pierced, and there was the chap who had a 3ct D FL cut by CBI for an earring!

You won't see/enjoy an earring much, though - you could get a ring, if you haven't already?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only downside of earrings is that you cannot see them yourself... I'm a girl and love earrings, but I also have my rings and bracelets to gaze at... So if I had to pick one single jewelery item it would be a ring or bracelet....

The only reason is I love diamonds.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
You have an entourage? I have a vision of security staff, guys in suits, and super-pretty ladies bringing you coffee on demand :D lol
Oh sorry, my English is so poor! I meant my family and colleagues. :D
You won't see/enjoy an earring much, though - you could get a ring, if you haven't already?
I have a left hand ring a a right hand ring, and I can't imagine stacking or using one more finger. :mrgreen2: You make a point that I only will be able to see it in a mirror.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put on and take off my diamond studs while holding them in a James Allen polishing cloth, then I try not to touch my ear loves while wearing them. I'm with you, I hate smudgy fingerprints on my studs! Stuller has some nice simple basket settings. That's how I set my mine.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
@Starfacet What size are you wearing? Do you have a earshot? ;)2

Stephan

Ideal_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sorry, my English is so poor! I meant my family and colleagues. :D
I have a left hand ring a a right hand ring, and I can't imagine stacking or using one more finger. :mrgreen2: You make a point that I only will be able to see it in a mirror.
haha! :D I am sure there is a single word to say 'friends and family' but I cannot think what it might be right now! lol

I am slightly jealous of your finger bling ;-) as I hope a chunky asscher will be in my future soon! You could make a pendant to go on a quite-long 'manly' chain, perhaps? You could play with it and stare at it in idle moments with more ease than an earring. :)) I think greg has a cool asscher pendant he wears as well!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
@OoohShiny
The pendant would be the same issue than the bracelet: I'm obsessive about dust on diamonds, and having it under my clothes would drive me crazy. And if the chain is short so the diamond doesn't touches my shirt, it would give a "submitted" look lol.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I hesitate to post this, because I don’t wish to cause offence, but I really don’t like seeing men wearing earrings. I know it’s a double standard, because I wear diamond studs every day, but I just think it looks too vain on men. Sorry, it’s just my personal opinion, but you did ask. :oops:

Anyway, I’m just some random stranger on the Internet, and if it’s what you want, go for it.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @Austina , I really feel the same way.
On cute guys, it looks great (but a little ordinary) and I don't find myself cute.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it's not my cup of tea I wholeheartedly think one should do what works for them. So while personally I prefer no earrings for guys I absolutely feel one should wear whatever makes them happy. So if you're an earring guy go for it and don't worry what others think. These days anything goes except for the most conservative jobs and I guess if one works at a conservative job one can remove their earring for work.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Austina , I really feel the same way.
On cute guys, it looks great (but a little ordinary) and I don't find myself cute.

aww @Stephan I was going to add if you feel you can rock it then go for it but reading this I feel maybe it isn't the best option for you..though I have to contest your harsh criticism of yourself. I bet you are a very good looking individual. Usually those most modest about their appearance are way better looking than those who are full of themselves...just saying. And true beauty comes from within and affects ones appearance for the better. Always.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
aww @Stephan I was going to add if you feel you can rock it then go for it but reading this I feel maybe it isn't the best option for you..though I have to contest your harsh criticism of yourself. I bet you are a very good looking individual. Usually those most modest about their appearance are way better looking than those who are full of themselves...just saying.
Thank you for your kind words. After introspection, I guess my colleagues are not a big deal and it would even feel fun for me to shock them... I'm more afraid of making my father sad. And my best friend told me earrings suit men with very manly traits and that my face was too soft looking for that.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Men have worn earrings since time immemorial. @missy posted this amazing museum thread where we saw all the amazing and huge gold earrings worn by men in the ancient days. So, OP, go ahead and get your diamond stud. Everyone is going to have their opinions on what they like and what they don’t like. I don’t even have pierced ears myself (have maintained virgin earlobes all these years despite all the peer pressure) but enjoy admiring them on others!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny
The pendant would be the same issue than the bracelet: I'm obsessive about dust on diamonds,

Just a heads up to the fact that earrings DO get quite dirty. They need to be cleaned each day... The oils from your skin just creep on them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words. After introspection, I guess my colleagues are not a big deal and it would even feel fun for me to shock them... I'm more afraid of making my father sad. And my best friend told me earrings suit men with very manly traits and that my face was too soft looking for that.

Well I don't know if I agree with that assessment of earrings better suiting those with manly traits but I will agree about taking into consideration your father's feelings if that is important to you.

I always say live for oneself but yes if it isn't a big deal for you and you think it would hurt your dad I would be inclined to not get an earring. But only if it isn't an important issue for you if that makes sense. I always weigh the pros and cons and when I disagree about something with a loved one I try to err on the side of who it is most important to if that makes sense. Though when it comes down to personal aesthetics I often only tend to take into account my aesthetics and my dh's aesthetics (as I wouldn't want to wear anything he hated) and not my parents opinions at all but it depends on your relationship of course and I would never say do not take one's father's opinion into account if that is important to you!

But as far as your best friend's opinion remember it is only his/her opinion and not fact. IMO. :kiss:

FYI here is the thread @peacechick was referring to.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jewelry-the-body-transformed.245238/

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Just a heads up to the fact that earrings DO get quite dirty. They need to be cleaned each day... The oils from your skin just creep on them.
I wanted to write something like this. I'm quite obsessive about my diamonds, cleaning them in the morning, then before lunch and once again before going out in the evening. I once visited NY with my best friend, she never cleaned her beautiful 3 EX diamond the 7 days we were there, we almost had an argument about that lol.

So best option would be to chose a basket high enough so the pavilion doesn't touch the skin?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Missy, you are very helpful and I will take account of all you have brought before making the decision. I don't think my father will be sad, he will think it is ridiculous, but I'm just guessing.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to write something like this. I'm quite obsessive about my diamonds, cleaning them in the morning, then before lunch and once again before going out in the evening. I once visited NY with my best friend, she never cleaned her beautiful 3 EX diamond the 7 days we were there, we almost had an argument about that lol.

So best option would be to chose a basket high enough so the pavilion doesn't touch the skin?
Yes, but that might be aestheticically awkward for a 0.6ct stone. It would stick out quite a bit..... Usually people will try to have their earrings as close to the lobe as possible. Also to prevent the dreaded earring droop....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love guys with earrings! I don’t wear them personally because I don’t think I’d get used to the feeling of them lol. I also have big chunky Buddha ears (no joke. My family often rubs my ear lobes for luck. We are Chinese).

Also if you don’t want your dad to see, you can just take the stud out when you visit. He might notice the piercing if he looks closely but i doubt he’d have reason to inspect your earlobe for no reason.

If an earring makes you feel self conscious, maybe cufflinks? A diamond tie clip? Diamond money clip? I’m sure we can think of creative ways for you to admire more diamonds!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I also have big chunky Buddha ears
Oh, you will live long! ;-)

If an earring makes you feel self conscious, maybe cufflinks? A diamond tie clip? Diamond money clip?
As earring for guys seem to me to be below my class (don't want to offend but that's cultural here in Belgium), cufflinks, tie and money clip are above my class, I don't even wear a suit when I go to work, I'm a programmer not a business man :geek2:. After the replies I got here, the skin oil now scares me more than my father reaction. :lol-2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a diamond in a watch? I wonder if someone could custom make a metal watch strap where one “link” has a diamond. Or some watches has a jewel in the crown, I wonder if you could replace it with a diamond...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Well... As I'm already documenting myself to find out which earring back is the best (chrysmela?), I think it will be an earring...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results