shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jar

Rough_Rock
Would there be a whole lot of difference in a GIA certification vs. an EGL (i.e. would one come back an F color and the other a G)? Clearly there is some judgement, but are the generally rating principles different?If GIA is supposedly the most trusted then why would a jewler get an EGL cert vs a GIA? Because they feel they will get a better rating from EGL? And why do some jewlers not even get some stones certified? Because they are afraid of a poor rating?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by jar:
Would there be a whole lot of difference in a GIA certification vs. an EGL (i.e. would one come back an F color and the other a G)? Clearly there is some judgement, but are the generally rating principles different?
You have higher chance to get the stone overgraded by EGL than GIA. GIA believed to be most strict and the diamonds with GIA reports cost more.Some say that EGL have a bit different grading standards though.
If GIA is supposedly the most trusted then why would a jewler get an EGL cert vs a GIA? Because they feel they will get a better rating from EGL?
Probably... Besides many consumers have no clue about the difference.
And why do some jewlers not even get some stones certified? Because they are afraid of a poor rating?
Not necessary. You can find a diamond with a grading report that is not accurate. Besides, grading reports cost extra money and time. You might find a good deal for a diamond without grading report. All you need is to check it with independent professional gemologist/appraiser.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I would like to have my stone matched against its GIA CERT.Does GIA charge for this service?Do you have to leave the ring or do they do it right in front of you?Thanks for the answers.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not sure of the precise procedure but you said "ring." The stone would need to be loose for any re-consideration.I found that my independent appraiser was very close to the GIA grading, but the GIA was even stricter. You may consider having the girdle of the stone engraved with an ID #. In my case that # is on the stone and on the grading report so there is no doubt that the report belongs to that stone. I MAY be wrong, but I think you would need to send the loose stone to the GIA and have it graded and not tried to be matched to the GIA report you have since it is in question.Someone who knows more than I do may post a more definitive response.The Rodentman

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Not necessary. You can find a diamond with a grading report that is not accurate. Besides, grading reports cost extra money and time. You might find a good deal for a diamond without grading report. All you need is to check it with independent professional gemologist/appraiser.
I have GIA certificate and when i tried to trade up stone, store claims it's doesn't match certificate which i don't believed because I had stone checked that it matched certificate when I bought it. However, I see cases where even with GIA report, appraiser grading is subjective too, and came out with different color grading, so it's harder to buy stone without certificate then have it appraised to match what seller claimed it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results