shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond 101 HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

versacelover

Rough_Rock
hi everyone.. i just got engaged and SO excited, but at the same time i''m so nervous. The diamond is very expensive and i''m afraid to wear it..
emcrook.gif
Questions for you all: is it easy to break/crack diamond from normal wear? like today i accidently drop the ring and it scares the hell out of me.. what if my hand got slammed on something, you know, one of those things you can''t avoid, or if i drop it again .. would it hurt my beautiful diamond? i''m so scared, please help!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of that really depends on the particular diamond. If I''m not mistaken, the thinner a girdle is, the more prone to chipping it is. Also, feathers on the interior of the stone can make it more prone to cracking from a hit.

However, your diamond was made to be worn! It takes many people to get used to and comfortable with wearing their diamond(s) (myself included) before you stop whacking it/dropping it/etc. Don''t let yourself get too worried about it; just get it insured! That way if, god forbid, something did happen to your stone, you''d know it was replaceable.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable PSer will chime in soon, since I still don''t know much about such things
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stay away from very thin diamonds and you should be fine. Also, please insure the ring...then you will have peace of mind no matter what!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2007 2:37:12 AM
Author:versacelover
hi everyone.. i just got engaged and SO excited, but at the same time i''m so nervous. The diamond is very expensive and i''m afraid to wear it..
emcrook.gif
Questions for you all: is it easy to break/crack diamond from normal wear? like today i accidently drop the ring and it scares the hell out of me.. what if my hand got slammed on something, you know, one of those things you can''t avoid, or if i drop it again .. would it hurt my beautiful diamond? i''m so scared, please help!!!
$%#& happens and diamonds are no exception, but this is rare. It is possible your lovely diamond could crack or break from normal wear with a dollop of bad luck, but it is unlikely. As Koursie says, stay away from very thin girdles, if your diamond has one then try to get a protective setting and it should be insured anyway. Don''t expose your setting to bleach or chlorite products as this can rot the setting prongs making a loss likely, don''t wear your ring while doing heavy rough work. Apart from that enjoy your diamond, just take reasonable care.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
when i wear my tiny engagement ring 24/7, i am in destructo mode. i replace the plain tiffany setting as needed.

when i wear my bigger, better pieces it''s like I am working in fort knox with the white gloves on. i kind of developed a radar for not smacking my hands, or consciously worked on not dropping them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results