color
clarity

DH's PhD thesis defense was today!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And it went fabulously :bigsmile:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Can I brag a little? I am SO proud of him!! His degree is in mechanical engineering. The open session was textbook - the talk went off without a hitch, all questions (including the ridiculous couple) answered with really quite amazing aplomb. Apparently the closed session was more of a grilling than a conversation - but he came out an hour and a half later with the biggest grin on his face ::)

So... I am officially married to a doctor! Well, not yet officially, there are a few edits and lots of paper pushing to take care of, but the hard part is over. And he's just 25! He's been stressing over this for months now - understandably - and we're *both* thrilled and relieved :appl:

Now it's all about the big move to NY 8) :sun:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations and "welcome to the club" to him! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big Congratulations to your DH, Yssie! :appl: I'm glad it went so well for him!! :appl:

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you and your DH!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great, Yssie!!! Congratulations!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wonderful news :) congratulations!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Yssie!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic news, Yssie! He should be very proud--and I know being in the "supportive" role has its own challenges, so I'm proud of you, too! I can't wait to hear about your move to NY, I've been following your other thread and am really excited for both of you.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, Yssie! Love that you are so supportive and excited. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Very well done! :appl: It's nice to see you so excited about it as well.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yay! That really is an achievement, you must be incredibly proud of him.

Hope you enjoy celebrating together and moving to the next phase in your lives. Fantastic news!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very late thank you, mayerling, LV, purselover, DS, slg, Zoe, NEL, tigian, mscushion, Jennifer!!
He finally finished the wrap up work and edits (yesterday!) so he's celebrating (again). I'm under strict instructions not to wake him until one.

mayerling - oh! What's your degree in? And slg - aren't you working toward your own.. chemistry?

NEL - aww, thank you! He was actually quite easy to deal with - a few meltdowns, but nothing hot chocolate by the vat couldn't fix. I got the first round of edits so I've read his thesis probably four times now, which I admit I could've done without - my interest in boundary layer theory ends right about at the abstract, and even that much is an acquired taste 8)

Jennifer - I am so proud of him :bigsmile: we all are!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1311870733|2978993 said:
A very late thank you, mayerling, LV, purselover, DS, slg, Zoe, NEL, tigian, mscushion, Jennifer!!
He finally finished the wrap up work and edits (yesterday!) so he's celebrating (again). I'm under strict instructions not to wake him until one.

mayerling - oh! What's your degree in? And slg - aren't you working toward your own.. chemistry?

NEL - aww, thank you! He was actually quite easy to deal with - a few meltdowns, but nothing hot chocolate by the vat couldn't fix. I got the first round of edits so I've read his thesis probably four times now, which I admit I could've done without - my interest in boundary layer theory ends right about at the abstract, and even that much is an acquired taste 8)

Jennifer - I am so proud of him :bigsmile: we all are!

I have a PhD in linguistics.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
That's terrific news and quite an accomplishment! Congrats to your DH and to you for being a supportive spouse throughout the process!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
awesome!! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pils, kas!

mayerling - how interesting! I don't know of anyone with a similar degree - well, aside from Professor Higgins from my childhood favourite :oops: It sounds like a mix of history, sociology, biology... can I ask what exactly you do?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you and your DH, Yssie! That is very exciting news! You both must be walking on clouds right now.

I hope you have fun celebrating!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congratulations to you and your DH :!: .. :appl: :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! Brag away! Your hunny has earned it :)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yaaaaaaay Yssie!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Huge congratulations for your husband!!! You have every reason to be extremely proud and excited :razz: This is quite an achievement!!!
I remember that when i was going to the university for my own PhD thesis defense, my legs were trembling and it was the most stressful moment of my life (and i have been through a lot in my life, believe me!). It must have meant a lot to him that you were there and you waited for him to come out! Unfortunately, on my big moment, my husband (then fiance) was at the other side of the world and i was all alone...Nevertheless, the happiness that i experienced when everything was over, was the best feeling ever! I'm sure that your husband must feel sooooo happy and relieved!!! You guys enjoy the excitement and congrats again to both of you, because from what i understand Yssie, you have helped him a lot during this difficult process... :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! My husband got his PhD about 20 years ago and I remember well the nail biting the day of the "inquisition". That is quite the accomplishment! You have every right to brag! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Haven, DF, Amy! I have shared this thread with him ::)

naty - DH just said "I can't imagine"! What is your degree in?

April - I'm not a nailbiter but oh, they're still recovering!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1311872645|2979020 said:
Thanks Pils, kas!

mayerling - how interesting! I don't know of anyone with a similar degree - well, aside from Professor Higgins from my childhood favourite :oops: It sounds like a mix of history, sociology, biology... can I ask what exactly you do?

I don't want to get into specifics - I'm paranoid somebody might be reading my posts! - but I mostly deal with speech; very Higgins-esque!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1311904303|2979428 said:
Thank you Haven, DF, Amy! I have shared this thread with him ::)

naty - DH just said "I can't imagine"! What is your degree in?
April - I'm not a nailbiter but oh, they're still recovering!

Law !

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! All the hard work paid off...time to celebrate!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to your husband!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again rosetta, tyty ::) DH is *still* sleeping. I didn't know it was possible to sleep so much!

mayerling - fair enough!
naty - :bigsmile: now those, I do know a handful!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Yssie. I kept up on your saga. I went through the exact something as you. And in the end, we actually have more than what we did if we stayed. Everybody told me to look at it as a new adventure, so much so that I wanted to punch them in the neck. But it really is. I do like it here, and I never thought I would. :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Gothgrrl :))
I imagine it's something most couples have to deal with, at one time or another! I sincerely believe that since we're doing our best, it'll all work out in the end.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to your husband! What an achievement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results