shape
carat
color
clarity

DF, I want to sell my Rolex

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gettin old and after 20 years in this house we are literally choking on stuff we don't use.
Our house is so cluttered it could be featured in a hilarious but pathetic reality TV show.
We cannot even get to the front door ... too much junk ... so we use the side door.
We are downsizing on things, large and small.

The Rolex is a 31mm standard stock (aka mid-size - not man's size but not ladies either [IOW perfect for me :lol: ]) Datejust Chronometer in Stainless Steel and 18K Gold with a gold dial.
I bought it brand new in 1987 from an authorized dealer in California, and have original receipt to prove it.
It has never been touched, polished, or serviced by anyone including Rolex, and still runs perfectly.
There is an abrasion on the sapphire edge 'girdle' of the sapphire crystal and one tiny gouge on the side of the stainless steel case. (macro pics coming)
Otherwise, it has less than normal wear and patina for a 30 year old watch since I rarely wore it.

I have both boxes, inner and outer, all the plastic Rolex tags, monogramed cleaning cloth, and other innards of the box.
All are in mint condition - unopened for 30 years.

Should I sell it private party on Craigslist, or some website, or on consignment?
Where/how should I sell it, and if on consignment why share the proceeds with anyone?

No rush.
Naturally top dollar (but a market fair price) wanted.
Don't want to gouge someone, or be gouged ... unless it's by some cute hunky guy. :whistle:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Model #68273?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny ,

Clutter can be so draining emotionally. You'll feel so much better after getting rid of stuff.

I'd be happy to help out by taking your Octavia and any other diamonds that are stifling your creative mind.

Oh! And photography stuff! All those big, bulky things that take up so much room; cameras, lens, and anything else to help out.

:mrgreen2:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny- ( I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion) I suggest trying eBay- see what other vintage Rolex go for, and put a relatively high price on it- and make sure you let people know why it's special.
PayPal is pretty secure- and if the person has valid eBay feedback it's a fairly comfortable transaction.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny ,

Clutter can be so draining emotionally. You'll feel so much better after getting rid of stuff.

I'd be happy to help out by taking your Octavia and any other diamonds that are stifling your creative mind.

Oh! And photography stuff! All those big, bulky things that take up so much room; cameras, lens, and anything else to help out.

:mrgreen2:

Awwww.
You are so sweet!
What a good friend. :bigsmile:

But sorry, I already threw away all that camera gear and the Octavia. :doh:

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nooo-squirrel.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resident eBay shopper and watch lover here. Ok, eBay charges seller 10% fee plus PayPal fee of 3%. Similar “vintage” 31mm Rolex two tone (stainless and 18ct gold) have sold for around $2,500. Because you have ALL the paperwork / boxes I think you could ask $3,000, maybe a bit more. But if you’re a newbie it will be hard to sell a high value item on eBay (buyer trust is an issue). There is an eBay consignor seller called “Linda’s Stuff” who will charge 25% to sell for you (includes the eBay /PayPal fees) and it is then worry free for you. Any auction house will also charge you around 25%. The other choice is trying Loupe Troop. I’d avoid Craigslist, there are scammers and worse out there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Bron.
I appreciate the info.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen Rolex sell fast on loupetroop / diamondbistro, if it's from a trusted PSer.

Don't know about the exact fees, but if a buyer is wary regarding the authenticity, many PS appraisers offer escrow services.

You can offer a more attractive price from the get-go since you don't have any fees on lt / db.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny
try loupe troop and diamondbistro ? Maybe a PSer might be interested in buying it from you.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go on Preloved and assess interest (lots of PS-ers do this first), it'd be nice to keep that sweet watch "in the family" of PS :mrgreen::lol::razz:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the good advice.
Hopefully I'll have time for all this next week.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, post it on the pre loved forum and loupe troupe. Maybe a PS'er will buy it. Who wouldn't want to have a piece from you?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny,
From all the horror stories in the last few years regarding Craig's List, for your safety, don't use them.
We want you around to post for a long time to come.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks texaskj :wavey:

Yeah, a Rolex might just be the most crime-attracting target there is.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ask for quotes from:

Torneau
Govberg
Swiss watch expo

They all sell pre-owned

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks texaskj :wavey:

Yeah, a Rolex might just be the most crime-attracting target there is.

Hi Kenny,
I'm gettin old and after 20 years in this house we are literally choking on stuff we don't use.
Our house is so cluttered it could be featured in a hilarious but pathetic reality TV show.
We cannot even get to the front door ... too much junk ... so we use the side door.
We are downsizing on things, large and small.

The Rolex is a 31mm standard stock (aka mid-size - not man's size but not ladies either [IOW perfect for me :lol: ]) Datejust Chronometer in Stainless Steel and 18K Gold with a gold dial.
I bought it brand new in 1987 from an authorized dealer in California, and have original receipt to prove it.
It has never been touched, polished, or serviced by anyone including Rolex, and still runs perfectly.
There is an abrasion on the sapphire edge 'girdle' of the sapphire crystal and one tiny gouge on the side of the stainless steel case. (macro pics coming)
Otherwise, it has less than normal wear and patina for a 30 year old watch since I rarely wore it.

I have both boxes, inner and outer, all the plastic Rolex tags, monogramed cleaning cloth, and other innards of the box.
All are in mint condition - unopened for 30 years.

Should I sell it private party on Craigslist, or some website, or on consignment?
Where/how should I sell it, and if on consignment why share the proceeds with anyone?

No rush.
Naturally top dollar (but a market fair price) wanted.
Don't want to gouge someone, or be gouged ... unless it's by some cute hunky guy. :whistle:

Hi Kenny,
What did you end up doing with the watch ? Still available?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny,

Hi Kenny,
What did you end up doing with the watch ? Still available?

Thanks for asking.
I'm into guitars; I think I have 9 or 10.
I've lost count, and really should stop.

I like to buy and sell stuff on Craigslist ... no shipping hassles or claims, no commission to eBay, no disputes to be resolved, and transactions that are simple, in person, all sales as-is, final, and cash only. :clap:
The only downside is fewer eyeballs than eBay - but I live in So. California with millions of people within driving distance. :dance:

I saw an ad for a very fine and very rare guitar brand that I had never seen or tried.
I was thrilled at the opportunity to finally just see and play one.
I answered the ad (not to buy but just to try :naughty:) but it was sold, but the seller mentioned another interesting guitar for sale.
When I asked the price he told me $2000 firm but quickly added he's also open to trades of certain things like of Swiss watches.
I said I could part with my 1988 Rolex, bought new but no longer use.

I went to his home and worked out a deal.
He got my Rolex, and I got his guitar and a thousand bucks cash.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a brief moment it was refreshing to take a step back in time to precovid times

How did the dede-clutering go @kenny

Was this even before the delightful Marie Kondo hit our screens?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking.
I'm into guitars; I think I have 9 or 10.
I've lost count, and really should stop.

I like to buy and sell stuff on Craigslist ... no shipping hassles or claims, no commission to eBay, no disputes to be resolved, and transactions that are simple, in person, all sales as-is, final, and in cash only.

I saw an ad for a very fine and very rare guitar brand that I had never seen or tried.
I answered the ad (not to buy but just to try :naughty:) but it was sold, but the seller mentioned another interesting guitar for sale.
When I asked the price he told me $2000 firm but quickly added he's also open to trades of certain things like of Swiss watches.
I said, I have a 1980s Rolex I bought new but no longer use.

I went to his home and worked out a deal.
He got my Rolex, and I got his guitar and a thousand bucks.

Now that's a happy ending !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a brief moment it was refreshing to take a step back in time to precovid times

How did the dede-clutering go @kenny

Was this even before the delightful Marie Kondo hit our screens?

Actually the de-cluttering hasn't really started. :blackeye:
I had to google Marie Condo.

My Rolex sold May 2020.

FWIW, here's a more recent thread with pics ...

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmm.
Gouge me Baby, gouge me. :Up_to_something:

Yup, that's what their doing nowadays. :(sad Luckily I bought my wife a 31mm 18K/SS Rolex a few yrs ago for $8250

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results