shape
carat
color
clarity

Developed allergy to platinum band. Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indigo

Rough_Rock
After about six months, I have developed an allergy to my platinum wedding band. I get a red, painful rash that resembles a chemical burn after only a day.
I don''t know what the exact mixture was for this band, but I''m assuming it has some nickel in there. Are there other metals that might be causing it? I do not have the reaction to my platinum engagement ring.

My engagement ring is stamped PLAT950. The wedding band just says PLAT. I called my jeweler who custom made the ring to see if they can tell me the mixture, and the lady said that it is 100% platinum. Does anyone actually use 100% platinum? I think she just doesn''t know what she''s talking about.

SO... I''m wanting to know what I can do to prevent the rash. The band is covered with engraving. Is it possible to coat the inside with palladium or some other metal to prevent the rash?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
White gold can cause the same sort of rash on me, so I went with platinum thinking that it''s hypoallergenic. I guess some people can have an allergy to anything including platinum though. It''s my understanding that the platinum will have another alloy mixed with it, but I don''t know if there is a way to test the metal to find out what it is. I am specifically allergic to the nickel used as the alloy in most white gold. I wonder if rhodium plating would be an option?

DiamondLil

indigo

Rough_Rock
From what I''ve read, you actually develop allergies. I know that when I was little I could roll around in poison ivy with no reaction. Now I get a rash just by standing near it.

That''s why people can go months or years without having a reaction and then suddenly be allergic to their jewelry. Depends on your natural tolerance for the metal I guess.

Getting your hands wet allows your skin to react more easily with the metal. I''m not going to take my ring off every time I wash my hands though. I''d end up losing it. Surely there''s a solution to this. I know I''m not the only one who''s developed this problem.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An allergy to plantinum would be rare indeed.

I am thinking it is the other 5%, which might be nickle. Nickle allergies are common.

To answer your question: No-one uses 100% pure platinum for the same reason that no one uses 100% pure gold.

The better plantinum alloys use one of several different elements from the platinum group of metals in order to add hardness to the platinum. You might try a simple band of a known platinum alloy.

One thing I should ask... Are you positive that it is platinum and not white gold (which would be more common to have nickle). People get scammed on many things - and I could see this happening.

Have you had it tested: and did the test show platinum? Something I would do.

Perry

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just returned a pair of diamond ritani earrings that were set in platinum and the made my ears hurt. BBB where I bought the earrings said it was impossible to be allergic to platinum. They gave me my money back thank god, but I have other earrings that are platinum and have had no problems. My guess is that your ring must have some nickle in it, could be wrong, just my thought.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I''m taking it to the store where I purchased the ring today. I''m pretty sure that it is platinum. It''s an old local store, but they have a good reputation. It is stamped and weighs more than white gold would.

We''ll see what they say although I''m not expecting much since they claim it is 100% platinum.
I had the ring custom made to fit my e-ring exactly. It ended up costing more than my e-ring (minus the diamond) so I really hope there''s something to be done.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Are you perhaps getting soap and moisture caught underneath your ring when you wash your hands?
This alone could cause a rash. Have you gotten any new products lately? (Soap/Moisturizer?)

I didn''t think you could be allergic to platinum. I hope you''re not!
Hope everything turns out okay.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Did you recently clean your ring with ammonia/water mix? I actually cannot do this as any residue from the ammonia causes my skin to burn under the ring...I realized this when my first YG wedding ring (which I''ve worn for 11 years!) would bother me from time to time...I''ve stopped using the ammonia/water mix and haven''t had a problem since...

I recently got a new WG band and as I was driving home from the jeweler wearing my new ring, my finger began to itch/burn as well...this didn''t make sense to me as I had tried on the setting multiple times at home before the setting of the center stone and it never bothered my finger! I came home and washed it in my own solution and it hasn''t bothered me since...

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Believe it or not, a very simple solution is to paint the inside and sides of the band with clear nail polish. I understand that you may not want to do that on Platinum
1.gif
but, that is what we recommend to people with metal allergy.
FYI to people with nickel (why does that never look like it is spelled correctly?) allergy, the clear nail polish trick can even be used on things like belt buckles, jean buttons, etc.
Munchkin

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s good to know thanks for the tip!!
2.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2005 11:57:36 PM
Author: Munchkin
Believe it or not, a very simple solution is to paint the inside and sides of the band with clear nail polish. I understand that you may not want to do that on Platinum
1.gif
but, that is what we recommend to people with metal allergy.

FYI to people with nickel (why does that never look like it is spelled correctly?) allergy, the clear nail polish trick can even be used on things like belt buckles, jean buttons, etc.

Munchkin

My sister also glues little felt circles (the kind on the insides of cabinet doors or on the backs of hanging picture frames to keep the wood from scratching) on the jeans rivets that touch her skin. Fabric glue works like a charm. The nail polish works great for her fun rings too.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have met people who have nickel allergies from stainless steel on watch backs - and there is only a tiny amount there.
Try the nail varnish trick

But more likely you are getting dermatitis from mositure etc

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
It shouldn''t be the platinum. Possibly the entrapment of soap or other stuff under the ring. Titanium rings are extremely inert for people with allergies to other metals. Nearly all people who can''t wear white gold wear titanium with no problems. I did have one customer once who had some kind of electrical reaction to all metals. I had never heard of such a thing. I was able to anodize the inside of the ring which made an electrical insulator and he was able to wear it. This is the same theory as the fingernail polish mentioned above sealing off the metal from the finger. Thin cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) could make the same type of sealing barrier. It''s pretty inert acrylic when it cures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results