shape
carat
color
clarity

Detox suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gedean

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys have gone on a detox program and how effective was it? I was thinking of doing one cause I feel like I need to flush my system out of all the greasy food that I have been eating lately. Pleast let me know your opinions on the whole matter.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't done an official detox diet, but have at times eliminated ALL sugar and refined foods and with a program like this with ONLY whole foods (no cheating!), it's a bit tough as you end up going through junk-food withdrawls, but you end up feeling so much better and have more energy.

One easy way to help your body cleanse is to take Milk Thistle daily. It's excellent for keeping your liver healthy.

ETA - this is the one I'm taking:

http://oregonswildharvest.com/item.asp?idProduct=61&idCategory=&idSubCategory=

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a great book called The 7 Day Detox Miracle (I think), if you google it you should come up with the complete title and author. I took the main parts and adapted it sort of to my lifestyle, Mara and I did it as well as a few others once and it was a good start to getting back to a healthier lifestyle. (Disclaimer: I do not advocate this sort of thing lightly, you definitely need to check with your doctor first, especially if you have any other health issues.) Basically you do a water fast for three days, then you eliminate everything from your diet besides fresh fruits and veggies, and brown whole grains such as rice, miso, and some beans. There are a ton of lists in the book that tell you what to eat/what not to eat, it''s relatively easy to follow but requires some preparation as far as stocking up on the recommended foods and timing it with your life so that when you do the water fast (which I did not do) you are able to rest a lot and not be active because you will be weaker than normal with no food in your system. The Drs. who wrote it are homeopathic, not traditional medicine, also.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch - do you think the detox was still successful by you not doing the water fast? There is no way I could go three days w/out eating!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
many doctors say that detoxing diets are really not necessary, because assuming all your organs work as they should, your body should 'detoxify' itself naturally, assuming you drink enough water, eat enough fiber, etc to help keep things moving through.

me personally, i feel like the 'detox' thing is more mental, aka it might jump start someone into thinking a different way about eating...when monnie and i did it, i lost a few lbs but really it was more like mentally 'i'm eating right' and 'doing something' than just trying to be healthy. my body did not really seem to WORK BETTER with doing it.

now when i feel like i need to detox from eating crap, i just eat really well for 3-4 days. then i feel better. so i feel like it's more mental than anything else!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 5:24:13 PM
Author: Mara
many doctors say that detoxing diets are really not necessary, because assuming all your organs work as they should, your body should 'detoxify' itself naturally, assuming you drink enough water, eat enough fiber, etc to help keep things moving through.

me personally, i feel like the 'detox' thing is more mental, aka it might jump start someone into thinking a different way about eating...when monnie and i did it, i lost a few lbs but really it was more like mentally 'i'm eating right' and 'doing something' than just trying to be healthy. my body did not really seem to WORK BETTER with doing it.

now when i feel like i need to detox from eating crap, i just eat really well for 3-4 days. then i feel better. so i feel like it's more mental than anything else!
Ditto, I watched this whole thing on Oprah by Doctor Oz saying that it does not have much benefit. He said if it helps kick you off on eating healthy then that is great but it isn't necessary.

I have noticed when I eat more whole grains, more fruits, veggies, milk/cheese and healthy fats (nuts, avacados) then I feel better and don't crave as much junk. My hubby has a saying that I feel is true for me "Junk wants more Junk," meaning the more junk I eat (white breads high fat food) then I want more. I notice the less nutrient dense foods I eat the worse I eat and worse I feel so I like to get more whole grains, fruits/veggies, lean protein and lean milk products I tend to do better.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2008 3:23:26 PM
Author: MC
Monarch - do you think the detox was still successful by you not doing the water fast? There is no way I could go three days w/out eating!
I thought it was still successful. I think I lost 3 lbs that week...I know it wasn''t anything crazy, but more than the typical 1-2 lbs dieters usually lose in one week (or are recommended to lose). I didn''t do the water fast thing because that seemed really extreme to me. It was more about not eating anything processed/packaged, and tons of fresh fruits and veggies plus whole grains.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t call it detoxifying in the same way as the water diet, but before big events I do have a less severe one I do that makes my skin look amazing and I do lose a little weight.

For breakfast I have oatmeal, the high fiber content really does detoxify and since I do eat the strawberry kind which is sweetend, I don''t hate it.
For snacks I have a piece of smoked turkey sandwich meat. It gives me the protein I need without adding a lot of nasty stuff to my system.

Lunch depends. I usually eat may''s stuff since it is organic and high in fiber but also tasty. I don''t do salads, but that would be another good option.

I drink lots of white tea everyday anyway. It is the highest in antioxidents and the lowest in caffine so I can drink a lot without getting jittery.

For dinner it is always salmon. It is the highest in omega threes which do great things for the body, skin and hair.

This is my take on what some stars do before big events which basically means drinking water and eating fiber and salmon.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 12:34:04 AM
Author: monarch64
I thought it was still successful. I think I lost 3 lbs that week...I know it wasn''t anything crazy, but more than the typical 1-2 lbs dieters usually lose in one week (or are recommended to lose). I didn''t do the water fast thing because that seemed really extreme to me. It was more about not eating anything processed/packaged, and tons of fresh fruits and veggies plus whole grains.
Cutting out the processed stuff really is the trick. For the six weeks I ate NO refined *at all* (not even a bite of a gold fish cracker, even) and NO food containing chemicals I felt really good. I did it with the food combining diet where meats/veggies/oils are eaten together and then starches/oil can be eaten, but never meat and and starches (since one is acidic and the other alkaline and those stomach acids neutralize each other). Fruit also has to be eaten alone.

The diet was meant for better health, so I didn''t loose weight but stomach was soooo flat - the only time it has been. . . after I learned, even with eating some junk again, to avoid really gross and unhealthy stuff like movie popcorn. When we go to a movie, my husband and I usually go for a light meal first. We usually also have a drink (lol). Gotta live a little.

I''m also a HUGE fan of herbs and order bulk supplements and put them in capsules to help keep my body balanced (or drink them as a tea)! And, of course, at least 20 glasses of water a day!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC its so true what you say about a flat stomach...I am in shape and pretty fit looking but when I eat a big meal or a heavy carb meal my stomach gets bloated. When I eat really ''clean'' (aka meaning all complex carbs, whole foods, no processed, no sweets)...my stomach is SO FLAT...it''s amazing. But that''s just not a ''realistic'' way of living life. Sure maybe for a week or so before a big event...but overall I just want to be in shape, fit into my clothes, look good, and live life!! Everything in moderation!

gedean

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for letting me know your opinion on the whole matter. I think more than anything else, I have been eating a lot of "junk" just to get by because I''ve been really busy lately and can hardly find the time to eat. That''s why I feel like my body is soo out of tune.

I guess the best thing to do is to be conscientious of my diet as I''m sure it''ll be beneficial in the long-run. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results