shape
carat
color
clarity

Determining if gold - want to use as e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I have a ring that was sold to me as a whitegold ring with a sapphire. Its designs are consitent with the time that sythetic sapphires (which is what is in the ring) were popular since the producers were proud of the technology (according to some internet research and one jeweler''s opinion).

However, the ring isn''t marked. Now I''ve had another jeweler just clean the ring in a machine (did nothing with rhodium) and he didn''t say that it wasn''t white gold.

Is there a way to go about getting a pretty good idea of whether or not it is gold at home? I forgot to mention that when I first got the ring, it was re-sized locally. That jeweler was concerned about it not having markings and said if they cut into it and it wasn''t gold, there would be a small slit and they couldn''t re-size it (which they did without trouble, but the jeweler said nothing else). Also, if getting it sent for "testing," how much does that cost?

Thanks for any help. I gave this ring to my girlfriend for her 21st and after much research we''ve decided we''d like to put a diamond in it for an e-ring. But me being the skeptical, I want to make sure it isn''t a hunk of junk first!

Oh, and if anyone knows of any good H&A ideal-cut 1/2ish carats (looking for 5.1-5.5mm), please point me in that direction!

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
Doh, I guess tomorrow I could use my metal detector, LOL.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
go to a pawn shop and ask if they will test it for you. they will usually do it for free but it would be nice if you offered a ten for a nice lunch.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be careful at the pawnshop. A lot of them will test it by filing a knotch in the ring and putting a drop of acid in it. This test works just fine, but it leaves you with a ring with a knotch in it.
6.gif

There are non descructive tests available and many will use them but be sure to ask how they will test before you hand your ring over.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 8:17:30 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Be careful at the pawnshop. A lot of them will test it by filing a knotch in the ring and putting a drop of acid in it. This test works just fine, but it leaves you with a ring with a knotch in it.
6.gif

There are non descructive tests available and many will use them but be sure to ask how they will test before you hand your ring over.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Yep, that is definitly true. My husbands diamond/white gold wedding ring got stolen (BY OUR MOVERS!!!) right before we got married. Luckily the police found it at a pawn shop. Still to this day it had that "notch" in it.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 1:12:18 AM
Author:pixelbender

Oh, and if anyone knows of any good H&A ideal-cut 1/2ish carats (looking for 5.1-5.5mm), please point me in that direction!

You should search for what you are looking for but

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=955707
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=981018

There are a ton of stones with specs near those in varying colors and clarities on the JA website. Anything that looks crisp on the IS and scores well in the HCA with the C/C you are looking for should be in the running for you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2007 12:41:24 PM
Author: skphotoimages

Yep, that is definitly true. My husbands diamond/white gold wedding ring got stolen (BY OUR MOVERS!!!) right before we got married. Luckily the police found it at a pawn shop. Still to this day it had that 'notch' in it.

This would probably be a fairly easy repair for your jeweler. If you don't want to keep it as a souvenir, I'll bet they can fill it for less than the price of a nice dinner.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results