shape
carat
color
clarity

Destination Wedding Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I figured I would get some good advice here, so I am going to try to keep this as brief as I can so people will actually make it through my post!

Bride/Groom Situation: FI''s best friend (for the past oh, nearly 15 years) is getting married in March in Mexico to the most awful, selfish, greedy, and manipulative girl (I say girl, because she has the emotional and financial maturity of a 13 year old) I have ever met or heard of in my life. It is really one of the most awful situations you can imagine and the groom is well aware of this himself. They''ve "called off" the wedding countless times (mostly manipulation by the bride to get her way in life with EVERYTHING), and FI and I have had some very long talks with the groom about everything we see wrong with this relationship and how unhappy he is (initiated by him, we did not bring this up on our own). He knows where we stand and where everyone else stands on it.

The groom is not even allowed to go running after work with FI and other military buddies because this girl demands he not spend a spare second away from her. FI and I recently moved to a new state, where the best friend also recently moved for this girl. We have only seen him twice in the past 7 months, and only did so then because the girl was out of town because otherwise he is not allowed to see any of his friends and they cannot socialize as couples because she refuses. He has made zero effort to maintain ANY friendship with FI and I (I''ve known him now for 6+ years and we get along great as well) which has been very hurtful to us, especially being all alone in a new city and knowing no one.

Their wedding: They decide to have a destination wedding in Mexico, after canceling several other attempted wedding planning efforts. This is not a DW for the budget conscious either, taking advantage of specials or anything. It would cost us $3000 to go for 3 days, and they, i.e. SHE, is requesting everyone attend for 5 nights. FI is not technically the Best Man, or at least has not been told so. In one of the previous failed wedding plans, FI was to be co-Best Man with a step-brother and cousin of the groom who he is not even particularly close with. So clearly it was not terribly important to the groom to honor his best friend practically since he was 17 by asking FI to be BM.

Our Financial situation: I have been unemployed for 6 months now, since we relocated to said new state for FI''s job. I have had to put my hefty law school loans on economic hardship deferment to even make ends meet. FI pays our rent, bills, as well as his own hefty law school loans, and all other expenses we incur. It is difficult, but we are able to make ends meet for the time being, but probably not for much longer.

What do we do? We really cannot afford to attend this wedding, even for FI to go alone to cut the costs in half. We absolutely think he is making the biggest mistake in his life, but still try to be as supportive friends as we possibly can. He however, has made a clear choice and has chosen this girl over everything in his life, including FI''s friendship, his own family, and even his own happiness. The guy is admittedly miserable in this relationship but is too weak to call it off because he thinks it is better than being alone at age 32.

It is painful to watch this all happen, but then to request us to spend in excess of $3,000 for 3 nights to bear witness and share in the "joy" of their wedding day is just sickening. He doesn''t care about FI''s friendship, so why should we go out of our way for them when we honestly cannot afford it. FI is so torn because he is the most loyal friend ever and does not want to let the guy down by not going to his wedding despite what we feel about the bride, relationship, and cost.

So what would you do? Would you go and make a sacrifice for a friend who wouldn''t do the same for you when you have no business spending $3K to watch the friend make the biggest mistake of his life? Any advice or input is appreciated!

Sorry this is so long and thank you for reading if you made it this far!!
5.gif

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
You did not give a single reason in that entire post in favor of going. If it were me, I would just tell them, "we''re sorry, but we just haven''t budgeted for an expense of that magnitude this year. we wish you the best." and be done with it. Regardless of everything else, in your current situation you really can''t afford it, and it seems ridiculous to put further strain on your finances (not to mention your relationship) by trying to go.

I''m sure your FI will feel guilty, but with your financial situation it just isn''t feasible. Not to mention all of the other stress you would have to deal with if you went. And who knows, maybe you would book everything and then the wedding would get canceled again. Don''t bother.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn''t go, but not necessarily for all the personal/relationship reasons you listed. You cannot afford it. That is the bottom line. While its really great to be able to go to everyone''s weddings and stuff, you have to look out for yourself and $3000 is SO much money! I have a very good friend getting married this summer in CA and the FI and I just cannot afford it. I will send a nice gift and write a really nice card, but, and maybe this is selfish, I don''t believe weddings are something to go into debt for or over extend yourself for. I think you should send and a gift and a card. If they ask you about it you simply say, "we can''t afford it, but can''t wait to see pictures." If they try guilt or to press you further you just keep repeating that same phrase over and over.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Miya and Sba for your responses. I agree, money should be a simple enough reason not to go without the other drama/tension behind it. I guess if it was someone who was an extremely close friend that we very much wanted to be a part of his/her wedding day, we would put it on credit cards and pay it off as soon as we can. But this just isn''t that situation...

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i had FAMILY who didn''t make it to my wedding. i''ve learned through that process that you do not need to attend every wedding you are invited to.

i wouldn''t go. you''ve already said that this so-called "friend" doesn''t care about your FI''s friendship, and has obviously moved on in his life. so in my opinion, it isn''t like the relationship will be over if you don''t go...because it already is over.

secondly, i wouldn''t want to fake happiness at a wedding, and i wouldn''t want others to fake happiness at mine.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can''t afford it, do not attend. Also, why does your FI continue to try to maintain the friendship of someone who does not reciprocate? I''m lost. You don''t like the couple, the friendship isn''t important to them, you really can''t afford to go...so what''s the question???
9.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 2:54:14 PM
Author: monarch64
If you can''t afford it, do not attend. Also, why does your FI continue to try to maintain the friendship of someone who does not reciprocate? I''m lost. You don''t like the couple, the friendship isn''t important to them, you really can''t afford to go...so what''s the question???
9.gif

Amen to that. That''s how I feel honestly, but FI feels loyalty to the friend despite all of the above.
33.gif

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Does your FI WANT to go? Does he WANT to be their to support his friend, even though he doesn''t think his friend is making a good decision? It seems to me that maybe it should just come down to that. Is it worth it to him to spend the money to support his friend? I''m not saying that YOU don''t have a say in this as well, but I''m interested to know how your FI feels.

That said as a future DW bride myself, when it comes to DWs there can be NO hard feelings about who does and does not make it. It costs guests significantly more money than a mere wedding gift. Of course I have a short list of people that I''d REALLY love to be there with us, but times are tight-for nearly everyone-and if some folks just can''t make it (or don''t WANT to spend their dough on a vacation of MY choosing), then that''s okay. I''ll be disappointed, but will completely understand. Of course, I like to believe that I''m a pretty reasonable (and probably too logical) person and in your situation this doesn''t seem to be the case. You''ve only seen the groom twice in seven months. Is your FI''s relationship with the groom that important?

You don''t have the money. You never see the groom. You don''t like the bride. Hmm....but how does FI feel? That may be the most important factor in deciding. At least, if would be for me.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 3:14:13 PM
Author: Still_Waiting
Does your FI WANT to go? Does he WANT to be their to support his friend, even though he doesn''t think his friend is making a good decision? It seems to me that maybe it should just come down to that. Is it worth it to him to spend the money to support his friend? I''m not saying that YOU don''t have a say in this as well, but I''m interested to know how your FI feels.

That said as a future DW bride myself, when it comes to DWs there can be NO hard feelings about who does and does not make it. It costs guests significantly more money than a mere wedding gift. Of course I have a short list of people that I''d REALLY love to be there with us, but times are tight-for nearly everyone-and if some folks just can''t make it (or don''t WANT to spend their dough on a vacation of MY choosing), then that''s okay. I''ll be disappointed, but will completely understand. Of course, I like to believe that I''m a pretty reasonable (and probably too logical) person and in your situation this doesn''t seem to be the case. You''ve only seen the groom twice in seven months. Is your FI''s relationship with the groom that important?

You don''t have the money. You never see the groom. You don''t like the bride. Hmm....but how does FI feel? That may be the most important factor in deciding. At least, if would be for me.

FI hates the bride, FI doesn''t have the money, and FI doesn''t want to go either in all honesty! The friendship is still important to him and always will be I''m sure, but he is starting to feel like it is a slap in the face from this guy for him to never put any effort into the friendship. He just feels bad and thinks he "has" to go because he''s been friends with the guy for so long and doesn''t want to ditch out the the groom.

If it were a wedding in town, we would absolutely go despite all of the other issues. If I were a DW bride, like you, I would totally understand if people couldn''t come because of finances and wouldn''t take it personally, but we don''t think these people will be logical and considerate enough to see it from that point of view. I guess we just don''t think that the friend will really "accept" the finance reason and would think we weren''t going because of our opinions on the relationship.

I fully intend to show this thread to FI (I already told him about it, ha), so hopefully he can see some other points of view on this issue!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 3:23:49 PM
Author: MagsyMay

Date: 11/23/2009 3:14:13 PM
Author: Still_Waiting

FI hates the bride, FI doesn''t have the money, and FI doesn''t want to go either in all honesty! The friendship is still important to him and always will be I''m sure, but he is starting to feel like it is a slap in the face from this guy for him to never put any effort into the friendship. He just feels bad and thinks he ''has'' to go because he''s been friends with the guy for so long and doesn''t want to ditch out the the groom.

If it were a wedding in town, we would absolutely go despite all of the other issues. If I were a DW bride, like you, I would totally understand if people couldn''t come because of finances and wouldn''t take it personally, but we don''t think these people will be logical and considerate enough to see it from that point of view. I guess we just don''t think that the friend will really ''accept'' the finance reason and would think we weren''t going because of our opinions on the relationship.

I fully intend to show this thread to FI (I already told him about it, ha), so hopefully he can see some other points of view on this issue!
I think you have your answer, regardless of how "obligated" he may feel to go as a friend.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t attend this wedding even if it was his or your best friend who actually was a friend to you. I am having a DW and I would NEVER expect or want someone to attend if they could not afford it which it sounds like you really can''t. Send them your best wishes and a small gift. It was their choice to have a wedding where there is a big financial and time commitment from their guests.

I would especially never spend $3000 for anyone who is marrying a b*tch and stopped being friends with me for their SO AND I was unemployed. It''s not possible as you say so don''t do it. Your best friends or anyone who really cared about you would never want you to make that sacrifice.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t go because of the money issue but also because you can''t/shouldn''t support a marriage that you don''t believe in. I''m sorry that it seems your FI is losing a good friend.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
You can''t go. Beside the monetary facts, what happens when she calls it off again? Just be there for your friend when the marriage crumbles. Hugs, hard to say no, but you do not have a choice here.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I didnt read all responses so if I am repeating something someone said...apologies.

However, it was their choice to do a DW wedding, and therefore they need to accept that many people (no only you) may not come to the wedding for financial reasons. They certainly cant (or shouldnt) expect every single person they invite to be able to make not only the financial but time commitment. It just isnt possible for everyone. There shouldnt be any hard feeling towards you, your fiance or any other guest who doesnt attend. They should know that and hopefully took that into consideration when making the decision for a DW. Most couples understand that when they book DW (and some even pay for the people that they really and truly want to be there). Reiterate that to your FI so he doesnt feel bad.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t read all of the replies but...

I just wanted to say that I feel for you with the law school loans...We''re a double loans couple as well
14.gif
I would like to strangle whoever started the rumor that all attorneys are rich.

Anyway, to your question: I would say don''t go. It would put way too much financial strain on you and they should realize that.

Since your FI still feels some loyalty to the friend, can he take him out for a few drinks before the wedding as a send off? Then he wouldn''t have to deal with the bride, he can show his friend he still cares about him, and you don''t spend a ton of money.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 6:43:46 PM
Author: lucyandroger

I just wanted to say that I feel for you with the law school loans...We''re a double loans couple as well
14.gif

Anyway, to your question: I would say don''t go. It would put way too much financial strain on you and they should realize that.

Since your FI still feels some loyalty to the friend, can he take him out for a few drinks before the wedding as a send off? Then he wouldn''t have to deal with the bride, he can show his friend he still cares about him, and you don''t spend a ton of money.

Double law school debt is awful!! Especially when FI isn''t even using his law degree! Oye!

And while FI would love to take the friend out for drinks before the wedding as a send off, that would not be allowed because the friend is not allowed to spend ANY time away from the girl. I mean, he''s not even allowed to run after work (he now has to wake up at 5 a.m. to do it while she''s sleeping). So "out drinking with my best bud" is certainly out of the question. I''m really not exaggerating either, it is absolutely absurd.
14.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 7:01:27 PM
Author: MagsyMay

Date: 11/23/2009 6:43:46 PM
Author: lucyandroger

14.gif

Double law school debt is awful!! Especially when FI isn''t even using his law degree! Oye!

And while FI would love to take the friend out for drinks before the wedding as a send off, that would not be allowed because the friend is not allowed to spend ANY time away from the girl. I mean, he''s not even allowed to run after work (he now has to wake up at 5 a.m. to do it while she''s sleeping). So ''out drinking with my best bud'' is certainly out of the question. I''m really not exaggerating either, it is absolutely absurd.
14.gif
Wow, that is crazy. I definitely wouldn''t go to the wedding then. What a nightmare!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t see any reason for you to go. I understand wanting to support a longtime friend, but it will cost you way too much money and that friend doesn''t seem to really value the friendship anyway. It''s not worth putting yourselves further into debt to go to a wedding of a friend who may or may not care if you show up anyway.

It hurts to admit old friendships are ending (I really do know just how much it does hurt) but in this situation it really isn''t worth the cost (monetarily or emotionally) to you or your FI to spend so much money to go so far away in order to attend a wedding that you don''t support.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
$3000 for 3 days.

There is no way I would be going to that wedding. End of story.

ETE: My post has absolutely nothing to do with the emotional part of your post. No "REAL" friend of mine would ever ask me to pay $3000 to attend their wedding...

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who had a DW, I can tell you that there will be people who WANT to be there to share that day and they will simply be UNABLE to make it.

You and your FI are squarely in that category. No one can possibly fault you for being unable to attend. $3000 for 3 days is not a reasonable expense.

Our wedding was about $2200 per couple for 5 nights and there were some people that showed up the night before the wedding and left the day after. We were okay with that.

I would wish them the best and save my money. Especially in this situation where it doesn''t even sound like the bride and groom have made an effort to maintain a friendship with you or FI.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results