shape
carat
color
clarity

Dessert table vs.traditional wedding cake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the weddings I''ve been to had a traditional wedding cake but I recently went to a wedding that had a dessert table (buffet style) instead. There were so many options and I thought it was a great idea. Have you seen this at any weddings you''ve attended? I think it''s a great alternative!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, and I think people are very happy with it! Wedding cake is often pretty boring to the taste and it''s fun to have other options and variety!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
As a guest of many weddings over the past few years, I much prefer a dessert table to a cake. If you are not that into the whole wedding cake thing, then I say go for it! Yum.
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We had a small wedding and I don''t really like cake so we skipped it and offered two dessert choices instead: chocolate cake and creme brulee. Everyone was really pleased with the options, but most importantly I got what I wanted!
emotion-19.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did a cake and would do it again. A friend of mine did a cake and a dessert table...and I can''t say it wasn''t heavenly!!! (I actually preferred the desserts to the cake she chose!)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh -- I''m not engaged yet but I read these threads too, just to get ideas for the future. It''s very helpful, I must say, and I"m sure it will be even more helpful once I can actually begin planning for real. Kimberly, I vaguely remember you writing that you didn''t like cake and how you had other options. I hope I didn''t post a similar thread a while back. My most favorite dessert at the previously mentioned wedding was chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup and little eclaires. YUM!!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been to 2 where the bride had BOTH a cake and a dessert table. Dessert is my favorite food group, so I loved that.

The big difference to me is this:

Wedding cakes look really good. They have a grand presence and can be quite stately, and often they enhance the decor of the reception by creating a nice focal point. They aren''t everyone''s favorite thing to eat though.

Dessert tables can look good too, but they aren''t (or at least I haven''t seen one that is) as grand looking as a nice big wedding cake. However, they can give you TONS of delectable options.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My mother really really wanted to make cookies for our reception and since our caterer was cool with it, we had a table of homemade cookies as well as wedding cake.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Could you do like a big tiered desert table? It could have 3 or more tiers (getting smaller as they go up, like a wedding cake) and each tier could be a different desert. If you set it up right it would look really pretty, and you''d almost get the best of both worlds.

Here''s a link to something to sort of show what I''m talking about...but imagine it with deserts on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-Manchester-3-Tier-Platter/dp/B0002YSLF0/sr=8-2/qid=1170987970/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-9793565-8598247?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

Though, there is something to be said for a stately wedding cake.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I had mini tiered dessert trays on each table...i just had to have chocolate covered strawberries and my dh wanted rainbow cookies...we had a bunch of other desserts too along with our cake

candctroll

Rough_Rock
We are doing a Hawaiin themed reception with a roasted pig and everything. With that being said we are having a small wedding cake and then a desert table with pineapple upside down cake, coconut cream pies and other desserts.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
we had a dessert table instead of a traditional wedding cake. we did have two 3-tiered plates with cupcakes (one chocolate, one lemon) decorated with pink flowers. there were cookies, tarts, pastries and chocolate-covered strawberries all surrounding the tiered cupcakes. it worked out really well for us.

cupcake&desserttable.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novia, those desserts look divine! Is that from your wedding?

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen it, and loved it!

We''re going with both- cake and also a chocolate fountain (my request) that will be out afterwards with the coffee,etc. with all types of fruit, cookies (and my request- rice krispy treats) for dipping,

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
We had both...traditional cake on its own small table plus a table full of various desserts, fondue, etc.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 9:17:31 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Novia, those desserts look divine! Is that from your wedding?

yep, that was my wedding. our guests got to have sample of a few things rather than just cake. we loved it and received many positive comments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results