shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperatley need doggie advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Ok, on October 18th my beloved 2 year old $20 pound dog ''Dean''could hit by a car. Fast forward to today he has had plates and pins put in his hip, femur and pelvic bones and is still at the vet. This is where my dillema comes in.

1) 11 month old pound dog # 2 ''walter'' is driving me batty! When he is in, he wants to go out and vice versa. FI and I built a superb kennel and custom dog house but he keeps getting out of it (digging, bending the wire, forcing the gate etc). He is missing big brother something terrible.
39.gif

2) When Dean comes home it is 8 weeks strict confinement and seperation from Walter as there is a high re-break risk (i.e. no romping around). I don''t feel like I can cope...

I am almost in tears with stress and frustration....what on earth can i do?
33.gif

ThBoys22.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh so sad!!! I hope Dean is recovering well! Maybe you could give them both toys with each others scent on them ... or a blanket or something comforting with the scent on it?? Just being able to hear Dean in the house when he comes home might help Walter''s missing his big bro. Or maybe you could let them sniff each other through a doggie gate or something for a few minutes a day??

HUGS!!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I know strange dogs are no replacement for his doggie bro...but maybe you could take him to a doggie park where he could play with other dogs for a while. That might help him relax more when he is at home. I like Deco''s idea of sniffing each other through a gate once he is home too.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'd also maybe arrange the kennel so that there's a fence between them so that the crazy one can see/smell Dean but not jump on him...

Do you walk the jumpy one enough? Like 2-3 big walks a day? It sounds like he has too much pent up energy and frustration that needs to be expended.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 3:28:23 PM
Author: surfgirl
Yeah, I''d also maybe arrange the kennel so that there''s a fence between them so that the crazy one can see/smell Dean but not jump on him...

Do you walk the jumpy one enough? Like 2-3 big walks a day? It sounds like he has too much pent up energy and frustration that needs to be expended.
No no no, he is not crazy, hyper so on but he loves to play and they have always rough housed. He gets plenty of exercise walks, tennis ball, pasture full of cows....

Walter is just missing him and is constently ''searching'' for him.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Ivanna: First I am glad that Dean will get reunited with his family.Sorry it happened to him, but he is coming home.As you have said he will need some quiet place to recover fully.Your little one is still a puppy and is therefore much more active and needs lots of exercising and lots of activity.The dog should feel safe in his kennel and happy to go in.That takes lots of training.Not sure how he is able to escape from his kennel.Perhaps get him a different one.I am sure pet store can help you out on this.In any case he must be happy to go and stay in his kennel.I would start training him to really like his kennel. For starters never kennel him as a punishement but as a reward only.I would confine him after he had his food, went for a long walk, run etc so he is nicely tired.I would introduce all his treats given to him in his kennel.Start to confine him for very short periods of time ( minute or two whatever it takes) Sit next to a kennel and talk to him.You may leave the gate open for starters.When he becomes more accustomed to it and is not afraid to go in and stay in then close the gate.Make it short and sit and talk to him giving him his treats as he stays comfortable.Never let him out as he starts to cry or make any attempts to leave the kennel only open the door when he gets quiet.You must do it slowly and gradually but often maybe after each walk.Make sure he gets plenty of exercising though.you want him tired.YOu have enough time to do that and then when Dean gets back it will be easier on everyone.Dogs want to please us and will willingly try to do just that.Make sure he knows what makes you happy and aslo waht makes you unhappy.Wish I could help you out as I have done it in the past for many dogs ( friend''s dogs) who had similar problems...Best of luck.I am confident you can work it out, but you have to start now...

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the advice SScarleta.

The kennel we built is large it is on lush grass with shady and sunny spots. It is chain link which we have wired around the bottom. Walter literally pulls and paws on the chain link until it is bent enough to squeeze through.

I''d rather be in that kennel than in my cubicle...it is super nice for him.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Poor Dean. I can''t imagine what you are going through. Thank goodness he is a fighter, huh? Walter probably misses him sooo much the poor thing.

I wonder, could you let them see each other while you hold Dean? And have your FI hold Walter on his leash? Maybe, just so they can have some contact.

Good luck.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 4:13:08 PM
Author: ang3199
Poor Dean. I can''t imagine what you are going through. Thank goodness he is a fighter, huh? Walter probably misses him sooo much the poor thing.

I wonder, could you let them see each other while you hold Dean? And have your FI hold Walter on his leash? Maybe, just so they can have some contact.

Good luck.
I wish, at this point we are trying to keep Dean as calm as possible. He has some brain swelling which is being controlled with steroids so he can''t be ''upset'' etc. Boy, he sure is a fighter though.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 2:54:35 PM
Author: decodelighted
Oh so sad!!! I hope Dean is recovering well! Maybe you could give them both toys with each others scent on them ... or a blanket or something comforting with the scent on it?? Just being able to hear Dean in the house when he comes home might help Walter''s missing his big bro. Or maybe you could let them sniff each other through a doggie gate or something for a few minutes a day??

HUGS!!!
I needed that...thanks Deco, long time no talk, type, see???? lol

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Ivanna: can you get a help from a local trainer? There has to be a solution to this.The kennels I have helped my friends with their dogs were the portable kind that you can have next to you in the house.Sounds like yours is a bigger one.How about going in there by yourself ( if possible?) just sit and read or relax.Make it very inviting and bring his treats with you.Let him come to you first and if he does not just give it more time.Just treat this area like its for you as well as for the dogs.The first few times don''t expect him to join you.Sounds like he is not too happy about beeing there and that should be changed so he gets accustomed to it.
Perhaps you could also get a kenel from the pet shop the one you can place in the house or in your car.Since you don''t have much time you may be better to start with the new kennel and make him very comfy there...Good luck

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any good advice, but I just wanted to send my warm wishes and tell you that your furbaby is in my thoughts. I hope Dean has a speedy and full recovery, and that he and Walter can romp around together again very soon. (They are gorgeous, by the way.)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
awww, poor baby. I don''t have advice but wanted to wish your sweet doggie a fast recovery.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure what to say but I wish you the best with your puppies

If it were a boredom issue which I am not sure it is I would suggest trying things like Kong''s (a pretty indestructible rubber toy you can hide treats in and coat with either peanut butter or vegimite).

Puppy park sounds like a good idea he might just miss being around other puppies at the very least he will wear himself out and sleep for a while afterwards :). I used to love going to the puppy park with my doggy you meet heaps of nice people and you get to play. :):)

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your well wishes.

I miss my ''furbaby'' (lol) so much, but I spent some time at the vet with him last night (as I do every night but Tuesday and Sunday) and he looks more like his normal self. His eyes are a brighter and he is putting weight on that leg....bless his heart, he about licked me to death. When I got home Walter smelt him on me and he put on his happy face and we played ball for an hour. Phew!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results