shape
carat
color
clarity

Designer Shoes!!!

Which shoe designer is the most awesome?

• Manolo Blahnik

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No clue . . . I just wanna see the results!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, ladies . . . here''s the situation: I recently got a very nice, very unexpected bonus from work! DH and I have decided to "be responsible" with most of it. But, with a small part of it . . . I WANNA SPLURGE!!!
36.gif

Like most of us, I have a ton of shoes. But none of them are really, REALLY nice shoes. They''re all pretty decent quality, but nothing really amazing. Let''s just say I''m looking to change that.
27.gif

I want a very nice pair of black pumps, preferably open toe and/or slingback. They need to be very versatile, because I''ll want to wear them all the time! LOL! For reference, I''m a paralegal at a small law firm where we can wear anything from khakis to business suits. Of course, I would want to wear these to work, but I''d like to wear them for non-work-related special occasions as well. I know I want leather, but I''m not sure yet if I should go with patent, suede or plain. My budget is probably somewhere around $750 (with a bit of flexibility in either direction).

My main question to you ladies is this: I have three designers in mind. Those would be Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, and Christian Louboutin. For those of you who are familiar with all three of these, which do you think I should go with? Please vote in the poll, and if you could post a bit of information as to why you chose that option, I would SO appreciate it!
1.gif

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, honestly? I think you need to get your tush to a boutique or higher end dept store so you can try them on (if this is at all possible where you live). I recently got a pair of CL's Ron Rons in black suede (they're in the shoes thread), and I LOVE them. However, everybody's feet are different, and if you want to wear them on a regular basis at least some of your decision needs to be based on what shoes fit you well. Style wise, I'm most drawn to Manolos and CLs - not as big a fan of Choos. Also, what heel height are you looking for? CLs tend to come in "really high" or "even higher", which can make them difficult for everyday wear if you aren't used to them.
2.gif

ETA: Do you want people to recognize that you're wearing designer shoes, or do you want to fly under the radar a little bit? While real shoe lovers will pick up on any of your choices (or at least stop to ponder "hmmmm, real or knockoff?"), the red soles on Louboutin's are hard to miss. I LOVE the pop of color, and it's definitely a signature that people recognize. I'm also conscious of the fact there are some occasions where I'd be hesitant to wear something that flashy - for example, I'm not sure I'd ever wear them for a job interview.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
THESE

They will be the first *real* high-end designer shoes I buy. Classic with an edge.

...sigh...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Freke, those are gorgeous.
I vote for those CLs!

Ali

Shiny_Rock
I would get the Louboutins'' that Freke posted. If you decide you really want a slingback, I would get the Choo''s or Manolos because they have adjustable straps. Louboutin only makes stretchy strap slingbacks and over time, they will wear out.
Make sure you go to a boutique to try them on though, for that money, you want to make sure they fit! Keep in mind, you want them to be a tad bit tight because they WILL stretch. It''s hard to keep a 5" heel on when it stretches too big.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ladies!
1.gif

Ladyciel ~ Yesss, I know all about your gorgeous Ron Rons!
27.gif
I''ve been lurking in the shoe thread! LOL! I am really, Really, REALLY leaning toward the CLs . . . I just LOVE those red soles! But I agree that there are occasions when I would NOT want to wear them because they are so identifiable as a high-end (read: very pricey) designer shoe. I think I can deal with the height though. I''m only 5''4" so I do enjoy the extra height provided by a higher heel!
2.gif

Freke ~ I''ve been stalking those! And also these.
18.gif

Haven ~ You''re convincing me!!!
9.gif

Ali ~ Good point about the elastic slingbacks . . . I hadn''t thought of that! I live in the boonies so we really don''t have any stores locally that sell CLs (or Manolos or Choos for that matter). My plan is to order a pair through Neiman''s or Barneys or somewhere, so I can just send them back if they don''t fit. (BTW, I saw that you were the most recent poster on this thread and I thought "Uh-oh, am I in trouble?" LOL!)
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote CL too; my friend got some and they are so beautiful!
30.gif
30.gif
Yay!!! Can't wait to see what you get and sporting those babies
30.gif
I would want some too but I fall over in heels. hehe

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
If you really can''t try them on, stick to Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo as those have a tendency to have much more consistent sizing. I wear a 36 in Jimmy Choo no matter the style and in Manolo, I am consistently a 36 (Sedaraby is a half a size down, Hangisi is a half a size up), but in Louboutin...it is ALL over the place! I''ve gone up a whole 2 sizes for certain shoes and even down a full size for others with no regard to open or closed toe shoes.

You might even prefer to ask for the insole measurement as the current sizing seems to be running bigger... I definitely urge you to find a store near you that carries the shoes you are looking for because nothing is more depressing than having a perfect pair of shoes and having to send them back because they don''t fit.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh - I can''t blame you for leaning towards the CLs. The red sole is just SO fun.

While I think WannaB has some good points re: sizing issues, the consistent sizing within a designer is really only helpful 1) once you''ve figured out your size for that designer, and 2) if you think you''ll be ordering more in the future. For a first pair without any opportunity to try them on, your best educated guess on size is your best shot no matter what designer and shoe you choose! DH ordered my Ron Rons from Barneys, and it wasn''t hard to exchange them when the first pair was too small. For reference, I''m typically a size 9 in brands like Bandolino and Nine West, and my Ron Rons are a size 40.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I voted CL's. I just bought my first pair for my upcoming wedding, and I ADORE them!!!! Mind you, they are cobalt blue and not everyday shoes, but once I buy my first pair of everyday CL's, I'm going with these Rolandos or the Biancas in black (which I can't find a link to, so I've attached a picture). I also ADORE the VP's that Freke posted, but I really want something that will be able to be worn all year round (since the VP's are open toed) for my everyday CL's.
I would check over at the purse forum as the ladies over there are awesome at helping with sizing, etc.

Christian_Louboutin_Bianca_Pumps.jpg

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
CL also makes Prive open toed slingbacks which are lower than the VP's

These are the same model, but this one has the red open toe platform, while this one has the black open toe platform.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
PP, did you mean Rolandos? RonRons don''t have a platform.
1.gif
Lurve them all, regardless!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Duh, thanks! RonRons were on the brain, as I was browsing for a pair for me :) I''ll fix that!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh, YUM! You ladies have posted some GORGEOUS options for me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
36.gif

Princess, that second pair of open toe slingbacks that you linked to (the black patent ones with the black toe) are CALLING MY NAME!!! I believe they are the No. Prives, and that''s one of the pairs that I''ve been stalking for quite a while now. I also do love the Ron Rons and the Declics, but I''m SO afraid to go with suede! I absolutely love the look of suede, but if I ever got even a tiny drop of water on them, I think I''d have to cry.
39.gif

I''ve also seen some CLs that are closed toe slingbacks, and the toe is kinda rounded. I don''t think they have a platform, and they come in regular leather. I believe the model name is "Cortinette"? I saw a pair in an eBay auction a while ago, from a very well-rated seller, and I *almost* had to get them!
37.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Emm,

If you don't want to deal with a sky-high heel, these look more manageable (at ~3.5'''):

Patent Peep-Toe Pump

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Bree! Those are really cute, but I kinda DO want higher heels, being vertically challenged and all! LOL!
2.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I hope you go with the No. Prives

ENABLING
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif

and whatever you get, we best get some pictures!!!
31.gif
31.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 10:41:03 AM
Author: princessplease
I hope you go with the No. Prives

ENABLING
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif

and whatever you get, we best get some pictures!!!
31.gif
31.gif
Ohhhh, Princess, you SO ARE!!!
11.gif

And there will DEFINITELY be pictures!
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a huge Manolo Blahnik fan-I adore his shoes and find them so comfortable. I do love the look of Christian Louboutins but find them quite sore to wear so I only have one pair of them. Enjoy splurging!!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
When I think of Jimmy Choo and Manolo, I think, fun color, open toe, very special occassion shoes.

I have a pair of Jimmy Choo black boots that I love!! They are knee highs though, and I have never tried on their pumps.

I won't lie, I know absolutely NOTHING about Manolos other than what I have seen on shelves.

I voted for CL because they have so many options, however, I would REALLY reccommend trying a few on. They are made for VERY VERY VERY narrow feet, and though I am a very avid heel person, I would have a hard time wearing them all day or all night like I wear my black heels.

How are you planning on using these? Daily wear or special occassion?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bee* ~ I do like some of the Manolos I''ve seen, but I can''t wear a pointy toe like many of his shoes seem to have. I LOVE the Sedarabys though . . . if only I was looking for something more formal!
1.gif

Meresal ~ I''m finding the same thing about the Choos and Manolos . . . very formal-looking! Which is great, but I''m really looking for a more versatile, everyday shoe. I would want to wear them to work pretty regularly, but also be able to wear them for special occasions as well. Patent might work well for that, maybe? BTW, I lovelovelove your wedding shoes in your avatar! GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif

SDL ~ I saw those! VERY cute! But I''m with you on the closed toe. I''d rather have either a decent-sized peep toe or a closed toe . . . not so big on the teeny little peep toe that those have. I love the beige color though . . . sooooo pretty! And Eva Longoria . . . I just love her style!
21.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 1:26:05 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Bee* ~ I do like some of the Manolos I've seen, but I can't wear a pointy toe like many of his shoes seem to have. I LOVE the Sedarabys though . . . if only I was looking for something more formal!
1.gif

Meresal ~ I'm finding the same thing about the Choos and Manolos . . . very formal-looking! Which is great, but I'm really looking for a more versatile, everyday shoe. I would want to wear them to work pretty regularly, but also be able to wear them for special occasions as well. Patent might work well for that, maybe? BTW, I lovelovelove your wedding shoes in your avatar! GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif

SDL ~ I saw those! VERY cute! But I'm with you on the closed toe. I'd rather have either a decent-sized peep toe or a closed toe . . . not so big on the teeny little peep toe that those have. I love the beige color though . . . sooooo pretty! And Eva Longoria . . . I just love her style!
21.gif
Thank you!

I needed an everyday black heel and I went with Black paten leather Michael Kors. They run about $350, so not a high designer as you are going for, but so comfortable.

If you are looking for something that people will notice, go with CL. Lots of options and they have the red sole. Just be sure that they are confortable around the toes. Also, I got my wedding shoes at Neimens, and the salesman said that he would "stretch" the ball for me if I needed it. I needed it the day of the wedding, and he did it about 6 hours before the ceremony. If they feel tight, be sure to ask the salesman if this is an option that they can do for you. I swear, CL's were made for Barbie feet.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meresal, thanks for the advice! It''s good to know that they can stretch CLs . . . I''ve heard that they run pretty narrow. Based on the poll responses, I''ve decided to definitely go with CL!
21.gif

Now I just have to figure out which ones! I''ve been checking out the CL forum on tPF, and I''m learning a lot there. When I have it narrowed down to a few ideas, I''ll come back and get everyone''s opinion. Thanks again, everybody!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results