shape
carat
color
clarity

Democracy assassinated the family that was here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
I''ve met so many who have argued that Iraq will never be Vietnam. In reality, the similarities are uncanny, as Sy Hersh and others have pointed out, as the latest episode shows:

The Haditha Massacre

Like good Germans, we deny that it can ever happen with us. And because of this bigoted blindness, once again, it has...

Here''s a brief portion of what Hersh spoke of:

"So here''s the upside of the horrible story, if there is an upside. I can tell you the upside in a funny way, in an indirect way. It comes from a Washington Post piece this week. A young boy, a Marine, 25-year-old from somewhere in Maryland died. There was a funeral in the Post, a funeral in Washington, and the Post did a little story about it. They quoted — his name was Hodak. His father was quoted. He had written a letter to the local newspaper in Southern Virginia. He had said about his son, he wrote a letter just describing what it was like after his son died. He said, "Today everything seems strange. Laundry is getting done. I walked my dog. I ate breakfast. Somehow I''m still breathing and my heart is still beating. My son lies in a casket half a world away." There''s going to be — you know, when I did My Lai — I tell this story a lot. When I did the My Lai story, more than a generation ago, it was 35 years ago, so almost two.

"When I did My Lai, one of the things that I discovered was that they had — for some of you, most of you remember, but basically a group of American soldiers — the analogy is so much like today. Then as now, our soldiers don''t see enemies in a battlefield, they just walk on mines or they get shot at by snipers, because it''s always hidden. There''s inevitable anger and rage and you dehumanize the people. We have done that with enormous success in Iraq. They''re "rag-heads". They''re less than human. The casualty count — as in Sudan, equally as bad. Staggering numbers that we''re killing. In any case, you know, it''s — in this case, these — a group of soldiers in 1968 went into a village. They had been in Vietnam for three months and lost about 10% of their people, maybe 10 or 15 to accidents, killings and bombings, and they ended up — they thought they would meet the enemy and there were 550 women, children and old men and they executed them all. It took a day. They stopped in the middle and they had lunch. One of the kids had done a lot of shooting.

"The Black and Hispanic soldiers, about 40 of them, there were about 90 men in the unit — the Blacks and Hispanics shot in the air. They wouldn''t shoot into the ditch. They collected people in three ditches and just began to shoot them. The Blacks and Hispanics shot up in the air, but the mostly White, lower middle class, the kids who join the Army Reserve today and National Guard looking for extra dollars, those kind of kids did the killing. One of them was a man named Paul Medlow, who did an awful lot of shooting. The next day, there was a moment — one of the things that everybody remembered, the kids who were there, one of the mothers at the bottom of a ditch had taken a child, a boy, about two, and got him under her stomach in such a way that he wasn''t killed.

"When they were sitting having their K rations — that''s what they called them — MRE''s now — the kid somehow crawled up through the [inaudible] screaming louder and he began — and Calley, the famous Lieutenant Calley, the Lynndie England of that tragedy, told Medlow: Kill him, "Plug him," he said. And Medlow somehow, who had done an awful lot as I say, 200 bullets, couldn''t do it, so Calley ran up as everybody watched, with his carbine. Officers had a smaller weapon, a rifle, and shot him in the back of the head. The next morning, Medlow stepped on a mine and he had his foot blown off. He was being medevac''d out. As he was being medevac''d out, he cursed and everybody remembered, one of the chilling lines, he said, "God has punished me, and he''s going to punish you, too."

"So a year-and-a-half later, I''m doing this story. And I hear about Medlow. I called his mother up. He lived in New Goshen, Indiana. I said, "I''m coming to see you." I don''t remember where I was, I think it was Washington State. I flew over there and to get there, you had to go to — I think Indianapolis and then to Terre Haute, rent a car and drive down into the Southern Indiana, this little farm. It was a scene out of Norman Rockwell''s. Some of you remember the Norman Rockwell paintings. It''s a chicken farm. The mother is 50, but she looks 80. Gristled, old. Way old — hard scrabble life, no man around. I said I''m here to see your son, and she said, okay. He''s in there. He knows you''re coming. Then she said, one of these great — she said to me, "I gave them a good boy. And they sent me back a murderer."

"So you go on 35 years. I''m doing in The New Yorker, the Abu Ghraib stories. I think I did three in three weeks. If some of you know about The New Yorker, that''s unbelievable. But in the middle of all of this, I get a call from a mother in the East Coast, Northeast, working class, lower middle class, very religious, Catholic family. She said, I have to talk to you. I go see her. I drive somewhere, fly somewhere, and her story is simply this.

"She had a daughter that was in the military police unit that was at Abu Ghraib. And the whole unit had come back in March, of — The sequence is: they get there in the Fall of 2003. They''re reported after doing their games in January of 2004. In March she is sent home. Nothing is public yet. The daughter is sent home. The whole unit is sent home. She comes home a different person. She had been married. She was young. She went into the Reserves, I think it was the Army Reserves to get money, not for college or for — you know, these — some of these people worked as night clerks in pizza shops in West Virginia. This not — this is not very sophisticated. She came back and she left her husband. She had been married just before. She left her husband, moved out of the house, moved out of the city, moved out to another home, another apartment in another city and began working a different job. And moved away from everybody.

"Then over — as the Spring went on, she would go every weekend, this daughter, and every weekend she would go to a tattoo shop and get large black tattoos put on her, over increasingly — over her body, the back, the arms, the legs, and her mother was frantic. What''s going on?

"Comes Abu Ghraib, and she reads the stories, and she sees it. And she says to her daughter, "Were you there?" She goes to the apartment. The daughter slams the door. The mother then goes — the daughter had come home — before she had gone to Iraq, the mother had given her a portable computer. One of the computers that had a DVD in it, with the idea being that when she was there, she could watch movies, you know, while she was overseas, sort of a — I hadn''t thought about it, a great idea. Turns out a lot of people do it. She had given her a portable computer, and when the kid came back she had returned it, one of the things, and the mother then said I went and looked at the computer. She knows — she doesn''t know about depression. She doesn''t know about Freud. She just said, I was just — I was just going to clean it up, she said. I had decided to use it again. She wouldn''t say anything more why she went to look at it after Abu Ghraib.

"She opened it up, and sure enough there was a file marked "Iraq". She hit the button. Out came 100 photographs. They were photographs that became — one of them was published. We published one, just one in The New Yorker. It was about an Arab. This is something no mother should see and daughter should see too. It was the Arab man leaning against bars, the prisoner naked, two dogs, two shepherds, remember, on each side of him. The New Yorker published it, a pretty large photograph. What we didn''t publish was the sequence showed the dogs did bite the man — pretty hard. A lot of blood. So she saw that and she called me, and away we go. There''s another story."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seymour Hersh is a truly amazing reporter. I remember My Lai well, being of a generation that was reading newspapers during the Vietnam war. Thank you for posting this, Dick.

Deb
34.gif

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Richard,
We went to war because our government convinced us our country was in danger. Most of us now believe we never should have gone. Most of us are aware of the tragedies and horrors that this war has produced . We hear it everyday on the news.
Rather than repeat an article, not very well written,or display your anger(sounds like rage), perhaps you ought to advise people to write their congressman or senators to bring our boys home. I have! I want to cry , and do, when the list of those beautiful young boys is read during moments of silence. You have a hammer, Richard: have a heart to move you!

Annette Compton

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
How many of those adult males are (were) the enemy?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2006 9:40:48 PM
Author: Rank Amateur
How many of those adult males are (were) the enemy?

R/A,

To whom are you speaking and to what are you referring? I know you''re an engineer-type, but try to remember that some of us use words to communicate and a question posed as you posed it is very hard to decipher!

Deb, who often cannot decipher mathematical equations ;-)

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I was combing through the internet trying to find out what exactly happened in Haditha. All we seem to know for certain is that a roadside bomb was planted and it killed a Marine. Sometime after, the Marines opened fire and a number of people were killed. Many of those killed were women and children. The details are sketchy in part due to the obfuscation and outright coverup of the Marines. The embedded cultural exaggeration or the region doesn''t help either.

Why the Marines fired upon these people, we don''t seem to know. The article Richard draws so heavily on doesn''t seem to care. In fact, it leads with the deaths of the Iraqis and mentions the killed Marine as almost a footnote. I was wondering aloud how many of those killed were the enemy, since many of them were adult men. Zero? Two? Fifteen?

I can see how the Marines might have foolishly and cruelly overreacted and taken some innocent lives. It is a low level of thinking that attempts to "teach a lesson" by picking on non-combatants. Ugh.

I can also see that these people might have been aiding and abetting (or they might be) the enemy. Some reports have the natives knowing about the bombs and one has to wonder if they were the ones planting the bombs. We also know for sure that this enemy has no trouble hiding out among women and children, putting innocent lives in danger. They didn''t read the book "If you don''t want to get shot don''t hide with the targets".

I''d like to think I''m open to learning the truth - if we can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results