shape
carat
color
clarity

Delicious Recipe Mistakes

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week, I was trying to recreate the veggie tuna I like from a local bagel place. I knew it had carrots and scallions for sure, a little mayo to bind, and something purpley. I couldn't recall if it also had onion in addition to the scallions, so I picked up a red onion-shallot. And the purple vegetable - it was a beet, right? a beet?

I run my veggies through a chopper. I have tuna in a mixing bowl. I put in the carrots - that looks right. scallions - ok still, onion shallot - not sure, but it's not ruining the tuna salad. Then, the beet. I put in the beet. ER MAH GHERD! The tuna salad is turning HOT PINK! Then the light bulb goes off - it was RADISH, not BEET! Well, my hot pink tuna salad was surprisingly delicious with the beets in it :lickout: :dance: , and I'm glad I made that mistake!

I'm watching drop dead diva on netflix, and Stacy starts a successful business of making "pakes" = pie-cake hybrid when she accidentally follows a recipe, but two pages were stuck together in the book. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else have a happy ending to a recipe oops?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a love hate relationship with beets. They love my white counter and I hate it! But they do taste good.

I think most of my recipes *generally* turn out ok haha. I made a shepherds pie last week with left over lamb leg and it was quite tasty. I can't remember what veggies the recipe called for, but we had roasted carrots and squash so I chopped that up and added it in. Didn't have tomato paste, but threw some veal demi glace, wine and Worcestershire (had to google spelling) sauce and it was delicious. Not a mistake, but didn't use the correct ingredients on purpose :lol:

That's probably the only thing I've made recently. Haven't been cooking much lately unfortunately!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few months ago, I was about to make buttercream frosting for a chocolate cake that was cooled. I usually add a little milk to thin the frosting and make it creamy.I suddenly realized that we were out of milk.
What to do? I grabbed the first thing I saw, hazelnut flavored liquid coffee creamer. OMG!
Best frosting ever!
Works great with French vanilla creamer, too.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1457384390|4001158 said:
A few months ago, I was about to make buttercream frosting for a chocolate cake that was cooled. I usually add a little milk to thin the frosting and make it creamy.I suddenly realized that we were out of milk.
What to do? I grabbed the first thing I saw, hazelnut flavored liquid coffee creamer. OMG!
Best frosting ever!
Works great with French vanilla creamer, too.
I once made instant pudding with heavy cream and it didn't turn out very well - too fatty, and I didn't even finish it! No milk in the house. BUT I bet some chocolate pudding would taste amazing with hazelnut creamer :love:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1457380846|4001139 said:
I'm watching drop dead diva on netflix, and Stacy starts a successful business of making "pakes" = pie-cake hybrid when she accidentally follows a recipe, but two pages were stuck together in the book. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This reminds me of the Friends episode where Rachel makes half an English Trifle and half a Shepard's Pie.

Rachel: It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!

Ross: W-What was the one right before bananas?

Rachel: The beef? Yeah, that was weird to me, too. But then, y’know, I thought “well, there’s mincemeat pie,” I mean that’s an English dessert, these people just put very strange things in their food, y’know.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1457385654|4001169 said:
PintoBean|1457380846|4001139 said:

This reminds me of the Friends episode where Rachel makes half an English Trifle and half a Shepard's Pie.

Rachel: It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!

Ross: W-What was the one right before bananas?

Rachel: The beef? Yeah, that was weird to me, too. But then, y’know, I thought “well, there’s mincemeat pie,” I mean that’s an English dessert, these people just put very strange things in their food, y’know.
:lol: :lol: :lol: and how Joey liked it! Hahahaha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results