shape
carat
color
clarity

Define "casual"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to go to a sales training thing for two days this week at a pretty nice hotel in a big US city. We were told dress was "casual". My office is a pretty decent mix of very casual and business attire and few business casuals in the middle. I fit into the more formal end of business casual (for example I''m wearing a suit today but may be in jeans tomorrow). How would you define "casual" dress for this trip? Jeans and tee shirt or more business casual??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am casual at the office, aka jeans, a top, and heels almost every day. Really casual for me is jeans, a Juicy hoodie and leather flip flops in the summer.

But when I go to a conference whether it be internal or external, or really any business type-trip...I typically wear what I call casual business, which is like slacks and a top and heels.

So really I just change the bottom part from jeans to slacks hahaa. I would have a hard time being 'casual' (aka jeans and a tee) at any external business event unless it was like bowling or a summer picnic or something.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go business casual, just in case. I think it''s always better to dress up rather than down if you''re in doubt.

I''d probably wear a light sweater, comfortable dress pants, and heels. I''d also bring jeans and more casual tops as an option for day two, though, in case I could get away with it!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:51:35 PM
Author: Haven
I'd go business casual, just in case. I think it's always better to dress up rather than down if you're in doubt.
100% agreed. I'd rather be over-dressed than under-.

That said, "casual" for me, more often than not, means a white ribbed tank, jeans or yoga pants and flip flops or flats. That's disgustingly casual for many
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the others - I think if you really want to do jeans, I''d do super-dark, simple, clean-lined jeans with a fancy blouse. Alternatively, I like Haven''s idea of comfy slacks and a simple top and nice sweater. I agree that in business settings, its always better to be overdressed vs. underdressed.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Casual in a business sense means clean/tidy/respectable casual: jersey materials are fine, pants are fine, skirts are fine, sweaters are fine. To be taken seriously, wear closed-toe shoes. (*Some* people are likely to wear gym shoes, but... don't be one of those people, LOL.) Dress comfortably, slightly asexually, and neatly-- think Banana Republic style-- and you'll be on target IMO.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely say business casual (no jeans). However, I would absolutely bring a nice pair of dressy jeans. Wear your nice pants the first day, and if you see everyeone else wearing jeans, then you''ll have jeans to wear the next day. Wear a nice dressy shirt either way.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Business casual for sure. Some nice dress pants and a nice top would do!
2.gif
It''s always better to look professional when told ''casual'' than show up in jeans.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:50:21 PM
Author: Mara
I am casual at the office, aka jeans, a top, and heels almost every day. Really casual for me is jeans, a Juicy hoodie and leather flip flops in the summer.

But when I go to a conference whether it be internal or external, or really any business type-trip...I typically wear what I call casual business, which is like slacks and a top and heels.

So really I just change the bottom part from jeans to slacks hahaa. I would have a hard time being ''casual'' (aka jeans and a tee) at any external business event unless it was like bowling or a summer picnic or something.

I feel the same way! I think I''m going to bring slacks AND jeans and tops to go with both. I can wear one or the other based on what everyone else is wearing.

Mara-it''s good to see you back in the ''hood.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results