shape
carat
color
clarity

Decorating help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So that that I've lived in my townhouse for almost two years I've finally decided to turn my attention to better window treatments. Right now we have some reddish colored sheers that match our rug, but they aren't very "stylish". I would like something that I can keep closed (my neighbors are right across the courtyard!) but that let some light in. I also have a small window that is going to be a challenge.

Here are some pics of what I've got and what I'm thinking of, but I need opinions and ideas!

sofa0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a longer view. You can see the problem window off to the left. Right now there''s just a sun shade on it.

chair backs 20001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the rug. This gives a better indication of the color; the sheers look very RED in the photos, but they really aren't, they're more of the pommengranate (sp?) color of the rug.

rug0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve found these at the Silk Trading company. The panels are 50" wide so I would only need one per window. And I like that they have a pattern border on the sides and the bottom, which make them look more "finished" to me. But do you think they would be too *busy* in the same room with the rug?

mulberry10001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a detail shot.

mulberry detail10001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And while you''ve got your decorating hats on, I need an idea for something to put behind the chairs that face the dining room table. The square brown backs are very plain to me, but I can''t find anything that will fit. I had an idea of a some Asian style stools that are less than 12" wide and have a slightly curved seat, but of course now I can''t find them ANYWHERE. Or maybe even a small narrow console style table would work, but it can''t be any more than about 30" wide by 30" tall, and not too deep.

Here are the backs of the chairs from a different angle.

chair backs 10001.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
for the console tables, check out bombay. they have some smaller ones.

for the window treatments, i think i''d do something a little more tailored and structured.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2007 6:29:20 PM
Author: jcrow

for the window treatments, i think i'd do something a little more tailored and structured.

Maybe blinds? Hunter Douglas Silhouettes for instance? I was actually thinking of those at one point, and even got samples, but the happy hubby didn't like that almost everying in the room would end up cream/beige/tan so I ended up putting these up as a "temporary" solution and here I am two years later, LOL...

And thanks for the Bombay idea--I'll check them out!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about honeycomb shades that open from the top down or bottom up and nice Drapes that are tied to the sides.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
what a great space and window!

Have you thought about plantation shutters or blinds? Or how about sheer honeycombs shades and then tailored drapes pulled to the side?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 9:56:32 PM
Author: moremoremore
what a great space and window!

Have you thought about plantation shutters or blinds? Or how about sheer honeycombs shades and then tailored drapes pulled to the side?
We think alike moremore more. LOL

I like the idea of the plantation shades; I have some and love them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have honeycomb shades in our front room where our long windows and french doors are and we love them...because you can pull them up and totally out of the way to make use of the 4 windows with light (much like the windows you have there DJ but ours are to the floor and one is a door and they are ''french'' looking) or we can close them to get total privacy...or have them open halfway etc etc. we got the ones that can be pulled up from bottom or let down from top as well so it''s doubly nice if we want to shade part of the room or something. we got like a soft blush pearl offwhite color which goes well with our neutral berber carpet and just adds a touch of color to the room...but not too much..it''s just not stark white or ivory. i love the idea of honeycombs with some sort of pulled back fabric drapes for lushness. the honeycomb shades are very modern looking so you can kind of use something a bit more romantic and luxury looking with material (aka velvet maybe) for the pulled back drapes to add a bit of texture, and i think that would be fab with how your room is setup now. the pottery barn deep burgundy velvet drapes come to mind. we have the duvet cover for fall and we LOVE the richness and the color.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a window similar to yours with shutters. The wood ones are kind of pricey but they are pretty nice. I like ours, but we got rid of one set in the kitchen and I want to replace w/honeycomb blinds.

plantation shuttersl.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a narrow console behind the chairs, something in iron as a base with a marble or dark wood top so it is not too heavy looking, you can see through the base part.

for the windows, I like a sheer or honeycomb that can be raised up into a small amount of space if you want total openness...and then do a gorgeous treatment for look and drama, something on a great iron rod with a fabulous end cap. I would have them pool at the bottom and do really pretty iron brackets to hold them off the window. They could be closed if you wanted, but would also add warmth to the area.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, great minds...I posted before I had read yours!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, for that "problem" window I would love to see a beautiful piece of stained glass!!! I know you love color, and that would be a perfectly fun way to throw some expression into that particular space without worrying about fabric window treatments or blinds...yum!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a great idea. I did a custom stained glass panel for a door into my bathroom in our old house and it was gorgeous. That is a terrific idea for there, and you could do a really cool design if you wanted to.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow, i love the idea of the honeycomb blinds with rich silk drapes. love that!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''m not much help about the curtains, but Dee Jay, I am LUSTING over your GORGEOUS RUG!
30.gif
Do you know anything about it? Where it''s from, etc?

I love beautiful rugs almost as much as I love diamonds. I even used to joke with an old boyfriend that I would rather have an engagement rug than an engagement ring. That could make for an inelegant proposal though. (THWOMP! Will you marry me?)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the stained glass idea for the small window!

DF, do you mean one larger or two smaller tables for behind the chairs?

I really like the idea of the honeycomb blinds but we''d have to leave the ones on the bottom open all the time for The Demon because he likes to look outside and I''m afraid if they were closed he would ruin them by pawing at them to see out. You should see what he''s done to the blinds down in my office on the first floor...

The heavier pulled back drapery idea is intriguing; I''ll have to look into some options.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2007 9:52:36 AM
Author: Independent Gal
I''m not much help about the curtains, but Dee Jay, I am LUSTING over your GORGEOUS RUG!
30.gif
Do you know anything about it? Where it''s from, etc?

I love beautiful rugs almost as much as I love diamonds. I even used to joke with an old boyfriend that I would rather have an engagement rug than an engagement ring. That could make for an inelegant proposal though. (THWOMP! Will you marry me?)

It''s so funny that you say that! Rugs and jewelry are my two vices also. I would be hard pressed if I had to pick between a great rug and a great piece of jewelry, not to mention some of my rugs cost more than some of my jewelry... We used to live in a big open loft and had rugs everywhere, but now in this more traditional space we''ve had to roll a few of them up and put them in storage. It makes me so sad, but there''s just no where to put them all.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hi DJ!

If you are anything like me...I have to see it first to make sure I am making the right decision. That is why I am constantly looking at mags and videos to see what I like before I leap. I viewed this video last night, and although it is a bedroom, the patterns/colors used reminded me of your question fearing the pattern overload.

This is of course more of a traditional look (Like an Italian Villa using yellows an greens not you neutrals), so get past that, but notice the rich more formal/traditional drapery used (like Jcrow suggested...maybe?) and wall coloring. The bedspread pattern looks very similar to your choice of drape, and notice how the rug colors are also similar to yours.

If you love that drape and are too afraid of pattern overload, you might consider layering it to dilute it within a solid drape, as used in the video. SkippyGirls choice is really great-it is rich looking. Either way if you can paint...add a rich hue on that wall to make your drapes pop! Have you considered using a valance?

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/video_guide/

the title of the video is series GET COLOR-Tuscan Bedroom( below is the article and link)

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_bedroom/article/0,,HGTV_3366_3772274,00.html

Hope this helps you with your concern of pattern/colors.

On your little window...this is a crazy option...But you can place a mirror on the bottom of it...and make your eye think it is a longer window just like the others. You then flank it in the same drapes and the mirror just fades away.

Also check with http://www.homedecorators.com/ if you decide to find your console table. They offer exact sizing on all their inventory and I usually find just the right sized piece.

DKS

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
"We used to live in a big open loft and had rugs everywhere, but now in this more traditional space we''ve had to roll a few of them up and put them in storage. It makes me so sad, but there''s just no where to put them all."

I hear ya, Dee Jay! I have two rolled up in my closet at the moment, including my favourite one which just doens''t fit anywhere in the 800 sq ft condo I bought last year.

M has gorgeous rugs some of which have been in his family for centuries. So mine will have lots of older and more sophisticated company rolled up in the closet if M moves in. teehee! I''m sure those rugs have some stories to tell. As it is, the most beautiful one can''t (or so he claims) even have anything placed on it... no chairs. No coffee table. How delightfully practical! It basically requires it''s own room.

Sorry for the thread jack, btw.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 11:30:00 PM
Author: Skippy123
How about these silk drapes from Pottery Barn. I am planning on buying these since they are on sale and I got a gift card for Christmas. I think the red ones would be gorgeous!

Here is the linky. http://www.potterybarn.com/shop--prw--prwwin--prwwinslk--index.shtml
the tailored shades (under the silk drapes) that are in the pic that skippy posted are what i was talking about when i meant structured/tailored look.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee, I meant one console, with a wood or glass top on an iron base. It will look more airy and light that way...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m no help either, I labor enough over my own home.
20.gif

But I too noticed that great rug right away, and the mirror. I love mirrors, and that thing is massive. Love it, and I''m sure it helps make the room seem larger.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 12:30:52 AM
Author: diamondfan
Skippy, great minds...I posted before I had read yours!
heeheee
9.gif

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
I know lots of people said console table behind the chairs, but when I saw the pic, my mind immediately put one of those little chinese bendy fake walls there... ya know, the ones that have 3 panels and fold out and in... It would be a nice way to separate the rooms, but yet if you''ve got company and want to open it up, you just fold it or scoot it over to the side... Ok, it was driving me nuts, I looked it up. If you go to www.orientalfurniture.com, they''ve got all kinds of wall screens and room dividers - there''s actually 2 sections for them...

I actually really like the curtains you have up right now! Especially if you want to be able to have light during the day but also some privacy. Do you have anything behind them to close at night to keep out the majority of the light in the morning until you''re ready for the sun to shine in? Also, the idea of a valance is great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results