shape
carat
color
clarity

Decorating for the holidays with cats

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you decorate for the holidays with cats in the home? My girl knocks everything off of the flat surfaces in our home, even if the objects are very heavy. Anything holiday is a play toy. I miss having a festive home for the holidays. Do you have any ideas or photos to share?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
But it's so cute when they bat the ornaments around the room and perch in the Christmas tree!

ETA: Seriously though, all I can think of is put everything out of kitty's reach or just don't even bother putting it out in the first place. Good luck!

Last edited:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have to skip decorating the bottom 1/4 of our tree because of our cat lol. I'm lucky he doesn't try to jump on countertops and push stuff anymore. We had to cover our entire countertop with foil at one point. It looked super stupid and cooking was a nightmare. Luckily he hated it. Never jumped on them again. Wish I had better ideas for you :(

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat For things you don't want knocked over, try Museum Putty and Museum Gel -- each is for particular types of surfaces and objects. All my breakables are held down by one of these as well as all the framed art on my walls. Needless to say, with 4 savannah cats, I don't decorate. Big box stores carry it as well as Amazon.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.42.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.42.02 AM.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat For things you don't want knocked over, try Museum Putty and Museum Gel -- each is for particular types of surfaces and objects. All my breakables are held down by one of these as well as all the framed art on my walls. Needless to say, with 4 savannah cats, I don't decorate. Big box stores carry it as well as Amazon.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.42.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.42.02 AM.png

Thank you! I am going to give this a try.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you decorate for the holidays with cats in the home? My girl knocks everything off of the flat surfaces in our home, even if the objects are very heavy. Anything holiday is a play toy. I miss having a festive home for the holidays. Do you have any ideas or photos to share?

I have four cats and I’ve put up a few trees. I bought catnip spray and a few toys and scratching posts for them to play with so they avoid the trees and decorations.
I have the cat scratching posts placed “strategical” in different spots. I think I have 8 of them throughout our house. I spray them and the toys with the catnip spray to attract them.
So far so good and we have an ornament tree with ornaments that are 27 years old.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We don't put up a tree for that reason. Honestly this is going to probably sound really terrible, but it is easier to simply not do it as far as the amount of work. We put a wreath up on the front doors. That counts, I suppose?

We also have a dog that will take all of the gifts from underneath the tree and chew the wrapping paper off and chew open the boxes and then hide all the items.

So, we don't decorate around here!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
our old cat Tinky used to love batting the lower baubles
i just let him - it was so cute

i only have a 4 ft tree so i sit it on a table so its not right in Borris or Tibby's line of sight

i have seen trees decorated and hung upside down and they look amazing
not sure how hard this would be to do at home

i know at night Borris threads our entire house like a jungle gym but so long as she stays off the kitchen bench and doesn't break anything ....

Tibby is bigger and knows his limitations

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I don't know how we are going to do it this year. In years past our cats respected the decorations but I can tell you with 100% certainty Oliver and Gracie will not respect anything we put up including but not limited to our tree. So we have been procrastinating putting up the tree.

I don't want the cats to get hurt and we cannot surpervise 24/7 so it's a conundrum for sure.

Look how cute Tommy was in years past and how respectful all our cats were. #oliverandgraciearetroublewithacapitalT

tommyintree-2.jpg

fredunderchristmastree2016.jpg

frankieundertreechristmas2014.jpg

They loved laying peacefully under the tree and occasionally Tommy would gently and respectfully climb the tree.

We are planning on putting up the tree but I am pretty sure it will be coming down sooner than we would like if Oliver and Gracie go nuts. This will be their first experience with a Christmas tree...

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I get a natural tree, and my cats are seem attracted to it because of the odour. We did once have a cat knock the whole tree over.
Now Ive learned not put my ornaments on the lower branches, as the cats pull then off.
I once had a cat who ate some tinsel, which she decided to pass during Christmas dinner. Gross!!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Our tree is in a corner, and I've anchored it to the wall on both sides with a pair of screw eye hooks and twine. So far, so good, but we haven't put any decorations on yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think any normal sized Christmas tree will survive a 14 lb cat climbing in it, so no tree this year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far so good. Tree is still standing.

76C59017-F5AC-4F7C-9D0E-22E0C9802A9A.jpeg 7449939B-4A1E-4E74-BC71-D1ABA9C5AD05.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tibby would knock the tree over if he tried that

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results