shape
carat
color
clarity

December Healthy Living Thread

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, great idea to share those calories! That is what I do too. Have you had a lot of snow so far this year?

We went to Denver shopping today. I picked up a few stocking stuffers for Marty, a shirt for myself and a few assorted gifts. We stopped and had supper at our favorite steak house. I brought half of my steak home. Tomorrow is hair cut day and gift wrap day.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marcy - your little reindeer decorations are so cute, and your tree looks like a great size. We had a tree when we first moved to WV that Matt named "The Christmas spirit sucking tree from he$#" because it was huge, took so long to put together, and we had to do some serious rearranging to get it to fit in the room. I need to stop being lazy and learn to resize and post pictures on my macbook. I love my tree so much this year, and it still smells wonderful! Matt's trip ended up getting cancelled today after he brought everyone's attention to the forecast. Thank goodness. Homemade spaghetti sauce sounds wonderful. I could eat spaghetti every day of the week. Enjoy your day tomorrow!

Hi canuk-gal! I hope all is well with you.

We got about 8 inches of snow today, but it started right about the time everyone was heading out to work. We were involved in a 4 car accident on the interstate, but somehow managed not to hit anyone or get hit. It's hard to explain, but a car a little ahead of us in the next lane over traveling in front of a semi fish-tailed and spun all over the place, and when everyone stopped sliding and all the crunching was done, the car behind us had somehow slid by us in the median and hit the spinning car in front of us. Another car behind us managed not to hit anybody, but hit the cable in the median. 2 cars were probably totaled, one car was heavily damaged, and there we were without a scratch. It was a very scary morning, and we're ever so thankful that no one was seriously hurt. The governor closed state offices and sent us home at 3, but it took Matt an hour to pick me up because of road conditions, and then another 2 hours to get home. I don't think I've ever been more relieved to get here! We had tacos for dinner, and then I took a long nap on the couch. Have a wonderful day tomorrow!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Marcy~ those reindeer are adorable! I've never seen anything like them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, how awful about the accident especially since you were hurt so bad in one before in an accident. I am relieved you guys weren't involved car wise or hurt wise. It sounds very scary. I am glad you made it home safe and sound. I'd be drinking after that. Your giant tree sounds like ours; it is almost more work than it's worth and truly does take over our living room. I would say images are my weakest link on the Mac - I had Adobe Photoshop before and I am quite lost still with the 2 Mac programs I am using.

Thanks Deegee and Somethingshiny, we got those reindeer years ago at Target.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deegee|1292555098|2799231 said:
marcy - your little reindeer decorations are so cute, and your tree looks like a great size. We had a tree when we first moved to WV that Matt named "The Christmas spirit sucking tree from he$#" because it was huge, took so long to put together, and we had to do some serious rearranging to get it to fit in the room. I need to stop being lazy and learn to resize and post pictures on my macbook. I love my tree so much this year, and it still smells wonderful! Matt's trip ended up getting cancelled today after he brought everyone's attention to the forecast. Thank goodness. Homemade spaghetti sauce sounds wonderful. I could eat spaghetti every day of the week. Enjoy your day tomorrow!

Hi canuk-gal! I hope all is well with you.

We got about 8 inches of snow today, but it started right about the time everyone was heading out to work. We were involved in a 4 car accident on the interstate, but somehow managed not to hit anyone or get hit. It's hard to explain, but a car a little ahead of us in the next lane over traveling in front of a semi fish-tailed and spun all over the place, and when everyone stopped sliding and all the crunching was done, the car behind us had somehow slid by us in the median and hit the spinning car in front of us. Another car behind us managed not to hit anybody, but hit the cable in the median. 2 cars were probably totaled, one car was heavily damaged, and there we were without a scratch. It was a very scary morning, and we're ever so thankful that no one was seriously hurt. The governor closed state offices and sent us home at 3, but it took Matt an hour to pick me up because of road conditions, and then another 2 hours to get home. I don't think I've ever been more relieved to get here! We had tacos for dinner, and then I took a long nap on the couch. Have a wonderful day tomorrow!!

Oh deegee:

My heart goes out to you and i am glad you were not seriously hurt. I was recently in an accident (my birthday to be exact) and my car badly damaged as I was rear ended. Ironic, as it was on a bright day and not the icy snow day earlier in the week!

cheers--Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, I hate to hear you were in a car accident too. Were you okay? I sure hope so.

I am ready for my vacation to be over. Going back to work is less work. :bigsmile:

We started the day going out to breakfast and a long list of "to do". Marty got called in to work while we were at breakfast. I have not heard from him since. Poor guy. I am finishing his meatballs right now so hopefully he'll get off at 5 pm and we can have a nice supper. He made the sauce a few days ago.

I got a hair cut then went Christmas shopping for my mom. She wanted to get my dad a vest or two that would look dressy. I found him a nice Woolrich quilted vest with buttons and pockets. I am sure it was a bit more than she would spend but it did look nice. I also got him a button knit vest that was on sale so both cost me about $77. Last year she didn't get around and go find him anything and I know she felt bad about it. He generally has to take her places because she has trouble getting around and falling. Anyway she mentioned she didn't know when she'd be able to get him something so I offered to pick something out for her.

Then I hit the dollar store and got a bunch of gift bags and shredded foil string. I hit Michaels for jingle bells (I drop them in gifts for Christmas) and came home and put presents together in the gift bags, string and bells. Marty still wasn't home so I went to get gas in the car and to pick out a few martini glasses for Marty at Pier One. That place is SOOOOO cheap for decent glasses. He never likes anything fancy so I got 2 of them at a whopping $2.50 each. I guess if he wants more than 2 we can go back.

I came home and still no Marty so I went down to my parents house and took my mom her presents for my dad and had to help them set their new alarm clock. I swear I will be surprised if they know how to shut it off in the morning.

I came home, unloaded the dishwasher and still no Marty so I made the meatballs and now I just need to hear from him. A glass of chardonnay is keeping me company.

Take care. Have a great weekend. :wavey:
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sharon - I'm sorry to hear you were in an accident. What a crappy way to spend a birthday! Are you okay? I think the thing that scared me the most while cars were spinning and sliding was the semi traveling in the lane beside us. I was in a tangle with one once, and the car doesn't come out the winner.

marcy - That really stinks that Marty got called into work. Sounds like you got a whole lot accomplished though. Matt was supposed to take off every Friday in December, and then take off the last 2 weeks of the year. He hasn't had time to take off any Friday, and he's planning to work next week too. He never gets to take a vacation! Marty sounds a lot the same. I had planned to take off the week after Christmas, but something got dumped on me today that has to go out by the end of the year. I'm going to work my tail off next week to have it done and ready to go by Thursday - even if it kills me!! I am so looking forward to my week off! Your parents are probably really grateful to have you close enough so that you can help them out. Matt is tech support for everyone in my family and his family too. He's no longer my tech support because he swears he's not going to learn anything about the mac.

We traveled to Kentucky after work this evening for candy and cookie making. Marcy, you're right about eating that stuff. I didn't have much at all, one peanut butter temptation cookie (and maybe a bunch of dough), one piece of divinity fudge, and a hand full of chex mix, and I'm really sick at my stomach! Rich food just doesn't sit well anymore. My nephew ended up coming home with us tonight and I guess he'll be here until Sunday. I hope he's wanting to sleep in tomorrow, because I'm not getting up early for anything or anybody! He has already hinted at breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I'm thinking brunch. Have a great day tomorrow!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, semi’s scare me too. There is a 9000 ft summit between here and another city and the wind blows up there really bad so I zip by any semi when I pass them. Matt and Marty’s work schedules sound very similar. Marty actually got called in this morning about 9:30 but he did make it to the family Christmas just as the pizza was being delivered. I hope you do get your project done by Thursday so you get the week after Christmas off and I hope Matt gets time to enjoy a few days of vacation as well. Did you get to sleep in today? I am sure you’ll have fun with your nephew this week. ETA: Too funny about Matt and the Mac - that is exactly what Marty thinks. I did figure out how to scan a picture yesterday but printing out some 4 x 6 photos took me awhile to figure out.

Our family Christmas was today and we hosted it. I think it went well at least no fights anyway. I ate so many cookies I started to feel bad. Stupid candy cane cookies. I sent a bag home with each family and split up the rest for each of us to take in to work tomorrow. Then the cookies will be gone. Tomorrow I am being good. I swear!

Well, take care. My Kindle is calling me.

Have a great Monday.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you believe we only have a few days left until Christmas? The season always passes by so fast!

marcy - my brother in law never lets the kids sleep in, so my nephew was really looking forward to sleeping until he wanted to get up this whole weekend. I actually got up before he did. We had a great time hanging out and took him back home this evening. I finished my 3rd Stephanie Plum book last night. I'm really liking that series - I'm glad you mentioned it! That's too bad that Marty gets called into work so much. I check work emails when I'm not there, but that's mostly for my own sanity because I get about 75 emails a day and I'd go nuts trying to go through them after a vacation. I really need to sit and play around on my mac more than I do. I mostly surf the internet, but I really haven't tried to do other stuff.

Matt and I tried to walk last night and only made it a mile. The roads are still really icy and snow covered, and I was so afraid of falling it took forever to walk that mile. I need to walk off all this junk I've eaten the past few days. Matt is taking most of the candy, cookies and fudge that we made at mom's to work tomorrow. I have to get it out of the house!!! I rescheduled the person I was going to interview last Thursday for tomorrow, and I'm hoping this guy works out. I have interviewed 5 other people, and if this guy is a no-go, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I offered the job to 2 people who both turned it down, which was weird since they both were unemployed. The other people I have interviewed have been woefully under-qualified. I'm going to think happy thoughts. Have a great day tomorrow!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I was only semi good today. At least it was an improvement though.

I was sure rough having the alarm go off at 6:10 am this morning. Sleeping in for 8 days was so nice. Since I’ve been staying up well past midnight I was not very sleepy when I went to bed at 11:15 pm either. Hopefully I’ll get to sleep about 11 tonight and be okay tomorrow.

My team did a great job while I was out so that made it nice to go back to work.

I made us reasonable calorie patty melts for supper tonight. I used the 45 cal per slice bread, 2% cheese slide, 96% lean hamburger so they were about 300 calories. I baked a few oven fries to go with them.

Are you all done with your Christmas shopping yet? I need one or two small gifts but that’s about it. I hope Marty’s few presents I have coming in the mail show up on time.

Deegee, I cannot believe Christmas is this Saturday. This year has flown by for me. I am so glad you like the Stephanie Plum series. They did make me laugh. I finished another Harry Bosch this morning. I was at 81% when I went to bed last night so thought I would read another chapter this morning while Marty was getting ready for work and I only had one more small chapter to read. The rest of the book was a teaser for his next book. I would have stayed up the extra 10 minutes last night if I knew I was almost finished. That is one draw back to not being able to flip through to find the end of the book or chapter. Marty is on call 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. His boss told him today to take 2 more days off but I don’t know if he will. I am going to have to start calling his phone the “Bat Phone” (thanks Lisa). I am getting better on my Mac. They are going to have an app store for Mac starting Jan. 6. I am excited to see what they will offer. Good idea to not go for a walk on the snow and ice. I am very scared of ice. I hope your interviewee works out. I know we have problems finding qualified and good people around here too. Yay for Matt taking the goodies to work. Our house is goodie free now. :appl:

I am off to read. :wavey:
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marcy - I bet it was rough getting up early after some time off. There's nothing like sleeping in and staying in bed until you want to get up. I hope today was better for you! Glad you didn't go back to any disasters. I had to hand over my "bat phone" to the IT guy today because it has stopped connecting to the work network. I'm hoping to have it back by Thursday so I can check messages and emails next week while I'm off. Our house isn't completely goodie free, but the goodies I like got eaten by Matt's coworkers, so yay for me! I've been really stressed at work, and having all that stuff around the house would have been really BAD for me right now. I didn't know about the mac apps. Woo-hoo! Games too? I'll never get anything done in the evenings anymore.

Matt and I just got back from taking our walk. It was mostly wet and slushy for the first mile. On the second mile the slush had started freezing again, so we stopped after 2 miles. I slipped a couple times, which didn't feel good on my back so I decided not to push my luck anymore. We made a quick trip to the mall on the way home to pick up one last item, and now I'm officially finished shopping. Yippee!!! I haven't wrapped the first thing yet though! I need to get started, but my kindle is calling me. What to do...what to do...
Have a great day tomorrow!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, ladies!

Nothing on the healthy front here. I've gained a few pounds. :(sad But, I'm still way down from what I've been the past few years so I'm okay with that. I haven't been working out lately because for some reason my back's been killing me. Maybe it's sympathy pains for DH. lol When DH starts first shift in the New Year my workouts will be more regular (fingers crossed!).

Hope you're all enjoying this wonderful season!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi shiny!

So I decided to put my kindle away and wrap presents. Now I'm officially finished with everything Christmas related, and I can sit back and enjoy the rest of the season. Woo-hoo! I have to have 2 very productive days at work so that I can get my project finished by Thursday so that I can take off next week. I'm on track to finish on time unless something crazy comes up, so again - woo-hoo! Have a great day tomorrow!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. One more day of work then a 3 day weekend. Woo hoo. We should get off a little early tomorrow.

It doesn’t look like we will have a white Christmas. Rats.

Deegee, they’ve had a lot of goodies at work too but I am trying to be sensible on them. Next week should be better. I know what you mean about the Mac apps; if they have Angry Birds on it I will never do anything again. I am glad you turned around on your walk when it started getting slick. I am sure even slipping didn’t help your back. Is it doing better this week? My Kindle is getting used a lot. I am 1/3 of the way through on of the Connelly books and need to go back and read the first book of that series. Rats. That is wonderful you are finished with getting ready for Christmas and have your project done at work. Will they get your Bat Phone back to you tomorrow?

Somethingshiny, I hope both you and your DH’s backs start to feel better. This is a very tough time of year to keep those pounds off and to stick to an exercise routine. I think both of those will be my new year’s resolutions.

Off to download the book I need to read before I can finish the one I am reading now.

Laters, :wavey:
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Stay safe.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Merry Christmas Marcy! Merry Christmas everyone!

We went to my parents house yesterday for soup and sandwiches and to exchange presents with them and 4 of my nieces and nephews (the ones on my side of the family). We had a great time and the kids got all kinds of stuff. We were there pretty late playing games with the kids, so Matt and I haven't exchanged gifts yet and I know he bought me something from Whiteflash. We're heading to back to KY for dinner this evening and probably won't exchange gifts until after that. Eeeaaahhh!!!! The wait is killing me! I finished my project right after lunch on Thursday so I decided to start my vacation a little early and head home. Our IT guy was out Thursday so I didn't get my Bat Phone back before my vacation. Hopefully next week will be a really slow email week so that I don't have bunches of them to go through when I get back!

marcy - we have the first white Christmas I can ever remember! We don't usually get snow until January, and we still have about 6 inches on the ground from our snow last week with another 2 inches or so from yesterday and more falling today. Matt & the kids usually play wiffleball or football on Christmas day, but that may not happen today. Connelly books - I'll have to keep that in mind for when I finish the Stephanie Plum series. I asked mom if she had read any of those, and she laughed and said she's read them all so far. She's a reading machine like me! I downloaded book 6 in the series last night. As soon as I finish one, I think oooh! I gotta get the next one.

Merry Christmas! Have an awesome day!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merry Christmas. We got up about 8. I made homemade pancakes for breakfast then we went through our stockings and our gifts bags. Yes, we were lazy this year and didn't wrap gifts. Marty's favorite present is magnetic buckyballs that one of his employees got him. He couldn't find me the pink gel cover for my phone or Photoshop elements for Mac in town yesterday so I just ordered them on Amazon.com awhile ago. He got me a nice top and vest which I am going to wear today and some Wusthoff paring knives and assorted other fun things. We are having dinner with my parents in a little while.

Deegee, I was always eager to begin the next Stephanie Plum book because she does leave you hanging at the end. I zipped through them pretty quickly. I am playing catch up on the Connelly books - he has about 4 characters he centers his book around but they do interact with each other. I was on about book 12 and realized I should have read book 4 first. So I am going back to read the 4 I missed then will finish the series in order. I will then read the Sue Grafton series. I can't believe how much reading I am doing. I used to read a lot before I started teaching but didn't have time then. I always read a book or two between semesters. How wonderful you are having a white Christmas. It is sunny here without any snow on the ground. I guess the mountains around here have so much snow there are warnings out for avalanches everywhere. Crazy weather. Whiteflash? OMG! I can't wait to hear and see what you got. :appl: That would be torture for me to wait all day long knowing there is something sparkly under the tree. That is awesome you got your project done and are free of the Bat Phone for vacation. Can you log online somewhere and get to your email? We can get to an exchange server from home to get our email. I also have a work laptop I can use where I can get to most of my programs from home. It's slow but saves on a trip to work now and then.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! :wavey:
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Matt and I had a super slacker day yesterday. I think we were exhausted from work and all of the running around that goes along with Christmas. We stayed home all day in our pj's, I read 2 books and he watched football and played video games all day. Sometimes you just need one of those days. Unfortunately we have no food in the house, so all I had to eat yesterday was macaroni & tomatoes and he had a can of soup. I haven't had anything today, and it's after 4pm. Pretty pathetic! We're getting ready to head out to eat and then to the grocery store. We may swing by the Acura dealer if I can get up the nerve to pull the trigger...

marcy - Sounds like you got lots of fun things for Christmas. Did Marty pick out the top & vest for you? Matt is too chicken to pick clothes out for me. He asked me to pick out a piece of jewelry, but I wanted it to be somewhat of a surprise so I sent him the links for 3 different pendants and told him to pick one. He ended up getting the flower cluster pendant from WF. I was really hoping for that one because it has matching earrings - a great gift idea for an anniversary or birthday present (both coming up in January)! Plus I now have the 2011 WF wall calendar. Woo-hoo!!! I'm finding that I'm reading much more than usual these days. I used to read a lot, but I never bought more than 2 books at a time. Now when a book is finished, you can download one in a matter of seconds instead of having to wait to get to a bookstore. Matt asked me to check the credit card bill to make sure that the number of amazon purchases was correct. Ooops! I'm going to have to dig into the lengthy book I downloaded (the sequel to Pillars of the Earth) ... right after I finish the available Stephanie Plum books. I'm on #9.

Have a great day!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. Six am rolled around more quickly that I wanted it to; but “I owe, I owe; it’s off to work we go” . . .

Work wasn’t too bad today. I am down only one person this week so we are doing better on catching up.

I left a roast in the crock pot today so we had a nice meal waiting for us when we got home. Marty is making some spaghetti sauce for us to have tomorrow night. It looks like we are getting snow and cold later this week so I want to get some groceries before the weekend. It sounds like a good idea to make soup this weekend.

I got my new glasses today. I guess my eyes have improved since the last time I had glasses made (2 years) so they seemed weak to me at first but my vision seems to be improving as the day goes by. Closeup is great but distance is still fuzzy.

Deegee, as for the Acura - Buy it, Buy it! Yes, I am an enabler. :bigsmile: Your lazy day sounds fun and well deserved. I will have to go see if I can figure out which pendant you got. It sounds nice. I got a calendar too and am anxious to hang it up at work. Yes, Marty does help me pick out clothes so I do usually like clothes he gets me as gifts. When I first lost weight he helped me a lot since I no idea what looked good on me. I know what you mean about your Amazon bill. I am sure I spend more on books now that I ever have before. It is so easy to just buy something new. At least Marty has about 70 books I won't have to pay for again.

Laters, :wavey:
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, your pendant is really pretty. I bet is sparkles like crazy. :appl:

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marcy - I did it! We went to the Acura dealer today and I signed all the papers for my brand new, 2011 Acura MDX. Woo-hoo! It's sitting on the showroom floor right now with all of 2 miles on it. They had installed running boards and a roof rack on it, and I wanted the running boards removed (I have injured myself on those darn things before), so I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. I'm so excited! It's dark grey with black interior. My first choice was white, but it didn't come with the dark interior which was a pretty big thing for me. They would have had to locate an bring in a white one with the light interior, and this one was sitting right on the showroom floor looking all shiny, right in front of the Christmas tree ... so I went for it. It was my 1st choice interior with my 2nd choice exterior - I'm good with that. Yippee!!!! Glad your work is going okay. You're ready for another long weekend, right? Marty's homemade spaghetti sauce sounds tasty. I swear I could eat spaghetti every day. Ooh - and thinks for the compliment on my pendant. It is small (I'll call it "dainty"), but it sparkles like crazy and I really like it. I picked out the .5 ct tw size.

We had unexpected company last night. My parents came with 2 of my nieces and 1 of my nephews. We usually go ice skating, but a few years ago I broke my my wrist & cracked my original ering, and my sister broke her wrist the next year. We're having bad luck with that, so we went bowling last night instead and had a blast. Even my little mom bowled, and she said she hasn't done that in 45 years. One thing is for sure - after this week, I'm going to have to get back with the healthy lifestyle with eating/exercise. I got rid of all my big clothes, and my clothes now are starting to get a little snug around the waist. I REFUSE to buy emergency clothes in a bigger size! Have a wonderful day tomorrow!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, woo hoo and how exciting for you! :appl: Please post pictures of your new car when you get it. I am sure you’ll love it. The color combo sounds great. Our interior is light and will require more maintenance then I generally want to give the interior of a car. LOL. You’ll probably have to go for some nice long rides this weekend too. Sweet. I am right there with you and cleaning up my act on eating and exercise. My clothes are far more tight than they should be and I an NOT happy about it or with myself. My “enabler” at work is moving to another department so I’ll be going back to 100 calorie snacks instead of splitting candy or little cakes with her. I really like pasta too - must be that carb rush. I think bowling was a far better choice than ice skating. It sounds like you guys have had a few too many accidents skating.

Speaking of my enabler from work she stopped by with some belated Christmas gifts for me. She found a fake diamond shaped candle holder. It’s on a big ring. She also got me a pink “Queen” to do list with pink Tierra sticky notes.

Our blizzard is pretty lame so far. They are still expecting about 12 inches by tomorrow night though. We took the truck to work today in case it got really bad. We got to come home about an hour early. We got a lot of work done today which gives us a head start for next week and I’ll be full staffed for the first time since early December. Life is good.

I cooked burgers on the Foreman grill tonight. We had some cottage cheese and raw veggies with it.

Take care and have a great weekend.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Happy New Year's Eve. Our blizzard fizzled with maybe about 6 inches of snow total on the ground. But as for it the predicted cold that is another story. Wind chill is about 30 below.

I made homemade soup today and brownies for dessert. :devil: I think I'll have a glass of wine to celebrate the new year later tonight.

I finished a book today and started in on the next one.

I hope everyone is having a fun and safe time tonight.
See ya.
:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results