shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating over 2 diamonds - if price diff is worth

gaby c

Rough_Rock
Debating over these 2 diamonds - is the price difference worth it? I saw Diamond 1 in person and it does sparkle nicely. Would the second option sparkle a lot/noticeably more to justify cost difference?

Diamond 1: $14,804
1.7 ct, H
7.53 x 7.58 x 4.74 mm
Clarity: VS1 (inclusions are mostly on outer rim of diamond)
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Depth: 62.7 %
Table: 58%
Crown: 36
Pavillion 40.8
Fluorescence: Medium
HCA Score: 3.6 (light return: good, fire: v good, scintillation: good, spread: v good)

Diamond 2: $17,471
1.7 ct, G
7.61 x 7.57 x 4.74 mm
Clarity: VS2 (some inclusions a bit closer to center but not fully on center)
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Depth: 62.5 %
Table: 56
Crown: 35.5
Pavillion 40.6
Fluorescence: Faint
HCA Score: 1.3 (light return: excellent, fire: excellent, scintillation: excellent, spread: v good)

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
#2, definitely!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Stone # 2 is the better diamond in terms of cut and performance. But in my opinion is not worth the price difference. You are dropping in Clarity from VS1 to VS2 but going up one grade in color. Is the price difference of 3 k worth it to you. Both stones are the same carat weight. My personal opinion stone # 2 shouldn't command a 3k price hike while going down in clarity from stone # 1

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any pictures or videos?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I'd pay the extra $2660 to get the better proportions and higher color. Like the commercials say, for the price of a daily cup of coffee......

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "good" in the cut diamond world isn't really what most people are looking for unless they have a really, really small budget. Excellent is what will get you the best sparkling, fireball, stone. On a diamond certificate "good" really isn't very GOOD. Notice the HCA of 3.6!!

gaby c

Rough_Rock
so
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "good" in the cut diamond world isn't really what most people are looking for unless they have a really, really small budget. Excellent is what will get you the best sparkling, fireball, stone. On a diamond certificate "good" really isn't very GOOD. Notice the HCA of 3.6!!

right .. it’s triple x which is why I thought it would be nice (and don’t get me wrong it is) but I was shocked at the score. So that got me interested in diamond #2. Budget was around $15k so I feel for the HCA score diamond #2 could be good

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Check these 2 out. I haven't vetted the proportions or HCA score, but they are ACA:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy that last WF above.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
#2 has my vote. I have a G VS2 for my engagement ring set in 18k yellow gold. The inclusions face up eye clean and don't affect the performance of the diamond. Sometimes it's like I'm wearing a tiny flashlight on my finger.

G color stones are so pretty in person and look white when worn against most skin tones as well. I appreciate colorless stones (D, E, F) but found that I personally go for F & G.

Definitely choose the one with the better light performance!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would buy neither.
#2 has better numbers but the pavilion is uneven and wonky.

Both are leaky.

I think the camera was slightly off-center when it was in the studio. At least, that's what it looks like to me. I could be wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results