shape
carat
color
clarity

deadly bugs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know about this one too well :{

Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE)
VRE is a major cause of infection of the heart, brain and the abdomen. A recent survey of 494 U.S. hospitals found infections of 10% across all patient groups. Current drugs do not rapidly kill the bug, and only one is available as a pill.

The only one that worked against it was a real old one that is rarely used anymore and that was too little too late....

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Strm, was this the bug that your mother was infected with? I'm sorry that your family had to go through that/

I really do wish that the media would make more of a big deal about this. Even that article doesn't really highlight the dangers of these bugs.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh strm, that is some scary stuff
40.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 7:29:36 PM
Author: Cinderella
Strm, was this the bug that your mother was infected with? I''m sorry that your family had to go through that/

I really do wish that the media would make more of a big deal about this. Even that article doesn''t really highlight the dangers of these bugs.

yea it was the one.
It is super common in hospitals.
If they can get a culture they often can find an old one to kill it if your healthy enough to live the weeks it can take but some of them are strong enough to resist everything to some extent.
Sometimes the side effects from the anti-biotics can kill the person also a lot of the older anti-biotics attack the kidneys and if they are all ready weak then well there is no chance,,,,,

They thought had had it beat and and it came back resistant to the drug they found worked the first round.
They tried another but it did no good because she wasnt strong enough for another round.

These things grow like crazy in the hospital and even with the best precautions can go patient to patient becoming stronger each time.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Correct me if I''m wrong, but eww....you mean the bacteria was spread through electronic RECTAL thermometers? Aren''t hospitals supposed to be sanitary to REDUCE the chances of infection?

saturn

Shiny_Rock
Funny, I was just dropping by PS because I am procrastinating working on my thesis on VRE.

Guess I''ll take this as a sign that I should get back to work....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:34:40 AM
Author: Cinderella
Correct me if I''m wrong, but eww....you mean the bacteria was spread through electronic RECTAL thermometers? Aren''t hospitals supposed to be sanitary to REDUCE the chances of infection?

Yes

Yes they are but its impossible to be 100% and things that have been done for years and years are now found to spread these.
And not to attack anyone other than management, overworked workers are a large part of the problem.
Most hospitals are hugely understaffed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results