shape
carat
color
clarity

Day After Wedding Activity - Need NYC and Hudson Valley Brides'' Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We''re getting married on a Friday in late September. Our guests will most likely stick around on Saturday and since the majority of them are our friends who we rarely see, we''d like to do something with them the day after. Everyone will be staying in Fishkill, so it seems like our two options are to go into NYC or go north to do something else. If we all agreed to meet in the city, what do you think we should do? I can''t really think of any activities that are good for large groups (maybe 20 people? maybe more) that wouldn''t be very expensive. We can''t afford to pay for them to do something (the wedding is expensive enough), so it has to be something relatively cheap that people wouldn''t mind paying for themselves. We could go bar hopping in the evening, but I''d like to find something to do during the day too.

The other option is to have everyone drive north (20-30min) and do guided tours of the FDR and Vanderbilt mansions. I think we could get group tours organized and people would have to pay, but it would be fairly cheap. Afterwards maybe we could visit our favorite restaurant up there that I know has a back room for groups (they wouldn''t charge extra either, we''d just buy off the menu).

So if you were a wedding guest, what would you rather do? A day in NYC (or night in NYC) or a cheaper activity like mansion tours? If you have any other suggestions please please let me know! Thanks
1.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There should be a bunch of festivals going on in the area at that time. Keep an eye open for local announcements.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple picking maybe?

ETA: Also be aware that you need to walk a fine line here because if you are hosting the activity you should pay IMO. So it needs to be more of a "we're doing this and you are welcome to join us" rather than a "we are organizing a trip for the day after the wedding" if that makes sense.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:37:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
Apple picking maybe?

ETA: Also be aware that you need to walk a fine line here because if you are hosting the activity you should pay IMO. So it needs to be more of a ''we''re doing this and you are welcome to join us'' rather than a ''we are organizing a trip for the day after the wedding'' if that makes sense.

Seconded. I like the idea of apple picking
1.gif
I don''t know - are the people in your group the type who like touring mansions, etc.? If not, it could be pretty boring, or just tiring coming right after wedding festivities

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
Hey there!

I live in lets say a 5 mile radius of where your guests are staying. Just as a heads up, I don't know how adventurous your guests are, but over across the river in Newburgh on the Hudson River waterfront, there is a tour ferry that goes out to Bannermans Island. The mansion/fortress on the island is an old arsenal and you can see it from either side of the river. They let you on the island and give you a guided tour. The restaurants and bars down at the waterfront are great! Every type of food, every type of price.

If you go up to do the FDR and Vanderbuilt thing, the Hyde Park brew pub is fabulous if you love great beer and food. The Culinary is also right down the road for dessert (Apple Pie Bakery). Yum! They are both right on Rt. 9. Apple Picking is also another good one. Fishkill farms has amazing FRESH apple cider doughnuts that are to die for. If shopping is your thing, down the thruway about 30minutes is Woodbury Commons outlets. Beacon and Cold Spring are great little village towns with little shops and restaurants - they are only 10 and 15 min south. Oh! There are quite a few wineries around as well. There is a Hudson valley wine trail which is ALWAYS a good time!

If I think of any others, I will chime in.
Cheers.

glueck

Shiny_Rock
I lived in NYC for 10 years, and without question, any guest that came through- their FAVORITE thing to do was to go on the Circle Line Cruise. If the day is nice, it is a real winner! I recommend the 2 hr semi circle.

http://www.circleline42.com/

That time of year, there is huge festival in little italy Called San Gennaro festival that is tons of fun. It runs all day into the wee hours of the morning. Its a huge street fair that runs the whole neighborhood.

82nd Annual Feast of San Gennaro, will be held during the 11 day period beginning Thursday, September 10, and ending Sunday, September 20, 2009. The official Feast Day celebrating San Gennaro, the Patron Saint of Naples, will take place on Saturday, September 19, 2009.

There is family style Italian place there that is called La Mela. The food is great and the atmosphere is really festive.You wil need reservations. Family style meals are great for large groups.

http://www.lamelarestaurant.com

Hope this helps!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I''d do a winery tour in the Hudson Valley and go to dinner at one of the places on the river in Kingston. Or, do the apple picking thing and then there are boat tours on the hudson as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do the Culinary Institute of America! They give guided tours and stuff, plus you can stop at Apple Pie Bakery (like someone up thread mentioned). I''m not sure on the cost, but it''s pretty amazing to see this monastery turned culinary school. It''s a really beautiful place.

...I miss it...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I will certainly keep in mind that that I need to be careful since I''m not able to pay for activies. It will be more of a word of mouth thing that we''re meeting up on Saturday and people can join us if they''d like. I just want to make sure that something is going on so people aren''t left wondering what to do all weekend.

Apple picking sounds like fun! And Banner Island is a great idea. I''ve always wanted to go there. Hyde Park Brewery was absolutely the restaurant I was thinking of having dinner at since we''re there almost every week. Culinary Institue is great too. I didn''t know they gave tours! I''ve only been there for dinner, so I wasn''t aware of the other fun stuff they offered. Wine tours are also a great idea, though I''m not sure how we''d drive that many people around without paying for some kind of bus or something ... that might get pricey. I''ll have to look into it.

How much does a Circle Line Cruise generally cost, Gluek? I had thought of that, but I assume it would be too expensive and many people wouldn''t be interested.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:05:20 PM
Author: glueck
I lived in NYC for 10 years, and without question, any guest that came through- their FAVORITE thing to do was to go on the Circle Line Cruise. If the day is nice, it is a real winner! I recommend the 2 hr semi circle.

http://www.circleline42.com/

That time of year, there is huge festival in little italy Called San Gennaro festival that is tons of fun. It runs all day into the wee hours of the morning. Its a huge street fair that runs the whole neighborhood.

82nd Annual Feast of San Gennaro, will be held during the 11 day period beginning Thursday, September 10, and ending Sunday, September 20, 2009. The official Feast Day celebrating San Gennaro, the Patron Saint of Naples, will take place on Saturday, September 19, 2009.

There is family style Italian place there that is called La Mela. The food is great and the atmosphere is really festive.You wil need reservations. Family style meals are great for large groups.

http://www.lamelarestaurant.com

Hope this helps!!
this is EXACTLY what i was going to recommend!

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I was bored this morning and I'm putting off school work. So, I looked up a few things for you.
35.gif

Bannermans

Wine-o Trail

Yum! The Culinary

Apples.

More Apples.

Newburgh Waterfront

Circle Line. Pick one!

General tourism guide to Dutchess Co.

Duh! Mohonk. Beautiful!!
And if you go to Mohonk in New Paltz, hit up the Gilded Otter Brewing Co. It has the same feel as Hyde Park and their food and beer is FANTASTIC!! We LOVE it there.
Otter Beer!

Ok, so thats it. I actually have to go do work. Again, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results