shape
carat
color
clarity

''Date day'' proposal -- advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tevyk

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I have been dating a bit over 5 years now. I''ve got what I''m sure will be a gorgeous 3-stone trellis in the pipeline with Whiteflash at the moment and will be proposing in a couple weeks.

GF and I have sort of a tradition of doing a "date day" most summers -- we''d been doing long distance for about 4 years of our relationship but were usually together for part of the summer, so these were originally to "make up" for missing anniversaries and birthdays and such that fell in the Spring.

Anyway, we''re actually living in the same city now so nothing was ''missed'' this year, and I decided to start planning one of these date days to propose on. We have most of the day planned (but I''m open to suggestions/modifications), and I''m trying to figure out when would be the best time to propose. We''re planning most of the morning together, and I said that dinner location would be a surprise (and so is the dessert location)

Outline:
* Saturday morning brunch
* Hang out in a coffee shop (this is something we do often)
* Wander through either a local rose garden or botanical gardens
* Some other activity yet to be planned
* Dinner at a restaurant ''special'' to us
* Dessert at this ice cream place where we had our first date
* I was thinking I''d have a hotel room booked somewhere and decorated/prepared somewhat (some flowers, a chilled bottle of champagne, maybe some chocolates from a local artisan chocolate place we like, probably a plush lobster if I can find one I like [a play on how lobsters mate for life -- she''d like this])
* I''ll have a manicure appointment scheduled for her the following morning

I''d initially been planning to pop the question at the ice cream place since it''s the most sentimental place for us (and sort of planned the day around this), but after reading some of the other threads here, I''ve realized that:
a) it''s not a terribly romantic setting nor is there a whole lot of privacy, and it''s fairly likely that little kids will be running around
b) it''tal likely be dark or nearly dark by the time we''d get there after dinner

So I came up with a couple options:
1) Plan as-is.
2) Propose in the rose garden. This''ll be nice and intimate and such, but doesn''t have the ''we had our first date here'' appeal.
3) Move ice cream into the hole in the early afternoon and propose there. The possibility of little kids running around remains. The place is also sort of out of the way of the other things we''d be doing, so it might be hard to explain/justify going there then without giving something away.
4) The wonderful alternative that my fellow Pricescopers come up with ;-)

What do you guys think?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...it sounds like you''d like to find a way to incorporate the ice cream place into the proposal itself but you don''t want to do it at night and/or with kids around (totally understand that). What is near the ice cream place? Is there anywhere nearby that might be a pretty place to walk to (that also might be a bit more secluded) where you could propose while eating your ice cream? It might still be dark out, but there would be no kidlets around.
2.gif

If that wasn''t an option, I definitely think the rose garden or botanical gardens sounds lovely. Even if they themselves don''t have the same sentimental value as the ice cream place, you''re still celebrating the whole day by going to that restaurant that means something to you two, and then to your first date locale. I think it will be great.
1.gif

Oh, and the ring sounds lovely too! How soon do you think you will be able to propose?

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Author: gwendolyn
If that wasn''t an option, I definitely think the rose garden or botanical gardens sounds lovely. Even if they themselves don''t have the same sentimental value as the ice cream place, you''re still celebrating the whole day by going to that restaurant that means something to you two, and then to your first date locale. I think it will be great.
1.gif
Good point .. I think I''m leaning more towards the gardens and then using the other places as a celebration sort of thing. Bonus that the ice cream place is near her parents'' house in case she wants to swing by and show off. :)

Author: gwendolyn
How soon do you think you will be able to propose?
The package should arrive from WF on 6/12, and we''re planning the date day for that Saturday (6/14) ... I really hope it''s nice out that day!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I think the rose gardens sounds wonderful with icecream afterwards
18.gif
GL sounds like you have everything under control :)

tevyk

Rough_Rock
She said yes!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-wf-3-stone-trellis-handshots.87762/

Ended up doing the rose garden (which I''m glad I chose -- she said she MUCH preferred there over the ice cream place). We actually never made it to ice cream, since we wanted to go show off to her family right away and then had to get to dinner. To anyone trying to work out a proposal plan, I highly recommend the middle-of-the-day approach I took (proposed around 2:30 or 3?) so you''ve got time to celebrate the rest of the day.

I think we''re finally going to make it to the ice cream place this afternoon? Surprisingly, everything else went almost exactly to plan and pretty closely followed the rough outline of a timeline schedule I made!

From all the calling and telling people and being excited and busy and everything this weekend, we both feel we really would''ve liked Monday off to just take a break and recover and stuff, haha. Ohhh well!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yay, that''s great news!! I am so glad it worked out as you''d hoped and that''s just wonderful that you spent half the day celebrating!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results