shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark uneven Sapphire, worthy to get full AGL cert?

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Got this Ceylon Sapphire bought in 1978 weighing 3.2 ct. About to decide what stones to get full and costly certification prior to selling them.

Would appreciate your opinion.

20191106_100016.jpg 20191106_103744.jpg 20191106_103638.jpg

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello, this sapphire (and several of the other stones that you posted) has very poor cutting, so I would not spend money on expensive ID reports until the stone has been properly identified as natural and possibly recut. No stone can be identified remotely through photos, so I recommend that you find a professional gemologist in your area to assist. Your local gem and mineral society should be able to point you in the right direction (and someone there may even have the requisite tools and knowledge). Once the stone is identified I would look for a professional gemcutter who could advise whether a particular stone is a candidate for a recut. Only then would I send it to AGL or other gem lab. Good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there: I love how focused and diligent you are regarding your Dad's collection. It seems that you may have some great stones there.

I would suggest that there is another website that you will likely find even more helpful. That is because this is a consumer board, so there are only a few who are in the trade that offer you assistance. Although we are no allowed to provide a link or name the other website, I suggest you google gemology websites, perhaps something like the words: gemology online? I have a feeling you will be overwhelmed by the help and knowledgeable responses you receive there. ;))

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Thanks a million to hear that.

...its artisan cut from Ceylon in the 70s. Quite bad cut...but heating wise its a typical Sri Lankan in uv lw
Red with inert deeply colored zones? Normal inclusions?

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
Hi there: I love how focused and diligent you are regarding your Dad's collection. It seems that you may have some great stones there.

I would suggest that there is another website that you will likely find even more helpful. That is because this is a consumer board, so there are only a few who are in the trade that offer you assistance. Although we are no allowed to provide a link or name the other website, I suggest you google gemology websites, perhaps something like the words: gemology online? I have a feeling you will be overwhelmed by the help and knowledgeable responses you receive there. ;))

Thanks a lot, just what I need.
Love neerds like myself with nothing to loose:)))

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
You claim you want opinions here and when an actual expert offers valuable advice and tells you the best course of action, instead of thanking him, you belittle him and insult his pictures, "Disney-pics"? Really?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I see in your video - (quality/ value/ costs/ inclusions aside)
It’d be interesting to see what face up color you’d end up with recutting most of the weight at the crown vs most of the weight at the pavilion.
And your fluorescence photos- I can’t tell if what’s popping up is from zoning or just reflection from the torch?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks I have removed posts for violating our policies. Please keep it kind and constructive or we will remove you from the forum.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think just getting a “gem brief” or a written report from a gemologist would suffice for selling. You really just need to be able to confirm that it is natural and also heated / not heated treatment. Blue sapphires aren’t normally glass filled or BE treated. The sapphire having a wonky native cut and a few girdle nibbles will however reduce its value and desirability.

PerSweden

Rough_Rock
From what I see in your video - (quality/ value/ costs/ inclusions aside)
It’d be interesting to see what face up color you’d end up with recutting most of the weight at the crown vs most of the weight at the pavilion.
And your fluorescence photos- I can’t tell if what’s popping up is from zoning or just reflection from the torch?

There are some darker zones in the pavillion so it may en up less dark if cut more there.

There is no other light than what is coming from the uv 365nm torch.

Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results