shape
carat
color
clarity

DADT has finally ended

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today America finally joined much of the rest of the civilized world.
It ended discrimination against gay people serving in the military. :appl: :appl: :appl:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-military-gays-20110921,0,7036638.story

Partial snip:

After years of bitter debate, and generations of military tradition, repeal of the 18-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" law went into effect at 12:01 a.m.
For the first time, soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines were free to declare their sexual orientation without risking being thrown out of the military.
And many rushed to do so.

The result, for supporters, at least, was an outpouring of euphoria and relief that some compared to the end of racial segregation in the military in the 1950s or the admittance of women to the service academies in the 1970s.
Supporters planned celebrations in all 50 states.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
'Bout time!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl:

Now I can't be fired for being who I am

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let's all welcome the military to the 21st century!!! :appl:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow about time!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1316610150|3022070 said:

Well said!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
eta...again very happy to see that "officially" it is over....however this comment below that I just saw on the article you posted makes me sick....

Marine1977 at 4:55 AM September 21, 2011

I would openly encourage all straight Marines, to ostracize, haze and harass any Gay Marine to the point that they regret having come out. Additionally I would advocate violence against them, just don't get caught; snatch one up behind the PX, beat them in the laundry room etc. They have no place in the military. I'm glad that I am out; I would not want to take a field shower with a turd burglar, it's inappropriate and gross. The same reason males and females don't take showers together; the possibility for one or the other to become sexually aroused causing problems. Being queer is a choice, plain and simple, it's a deviant behavior and a fetish. It's something that our overly politically correct pussified society is trying to jam down our throats. When the truth of the matter is that they had it right 30 years ago when it was still listed as a mental illness.. Well I suppose next will come openly serving child molesters, or those interested in sex with animals; all they have to say is I was born that way.. Again, Marines (coming from a former Marine SSgt)... don't put up with this, stand down.. ask to leave.. tell them it's a violation of your religious conviction to server under or work with those that embrace such a disgusting lifestyle. Don't forget to hit em when you can, isolate them, call them queer and let them know that they are wrong.. Friendly fire happens....

What is wrong with people... :(sad
I'm sure this guy has taken many showers with "turd burglars" (his words NOT mine) and doesn't even know it. What an idiot.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1316612428|3022083 said:
yennyfire|1316610150|3022070 said:

Well said!

Ditto! :appl: :appl: :appl:

ETA: Next up, DOMA!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1316578657|3021933 said:
Today America finally joined much of the rest of the civilized world.
It ended discrimination against gay people serving in the military. :appl: :

It's a great step forward and I'm glad it has finally happened. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't end discrimination. It only ensures that people won't be fired if they choose to reveal their sexual orientation or if they are "outed" by someone else. Sexual orientation is not a protected class under federal laws, so there is still the possibility that gay service members will be passed over for promotions, given less desirable assignments, or even harassed on the basis of their orientation. I doubt the "professional" consequences (as distinguished from the inter-personal, i.e. the horrible comment quoted above) will be so explicit; most commanding officers won't come right out and say, "I am giving him a bad review because he's gay, even though he is awesome at his job." But sadly, I don't doubt it will happen in subtle ways. So, DADT is definitely a huge hurdle to have overcome, but there is still a great deal of work left to do.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
At last!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe it took so long.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Deia|1316612850|3022085 said:
eta...again very happy to see that "officially" it is over....however this comment below that I just saw on the article you posted makes me sick....

I would openly encourage all straight Marines, to ostracize, haze and harass any Gay Marine to the point that they regret having come out. Additionally I would advocate violence against them, just don't get caught; snatch one up behind the PX, beat them in the laundry room etc. They have no place in the military. I'm glad that I am out; I would not want to take a field shower with a turd burglar, it's inappropriate and gross. The same reason males and females don't take showers together; the possibility for one or the other to become sexually aroused causing problems. Being queer is a choice, plain and simple, it's a deviant behavior and a fetish. It's something that our overly politically correct pussified society is trying to jam down our throats. When the truth of the matter is that they had it right 30 years ago when it was still listed as a mental illness.. Well I suppose next will come openly serving child molesters, or those interested in sex with animals; all they have to say is I was born that way.. Again, Marines (coming from a former Marine SSgt)... don't put up with this, stand down.. ask to leave.. tell them it's a violation of your religious conviction to server under or work with those that embrace such a disgusting lifestyle. Don't forget to hit em when you can, isolate them, call them queer and let them know that they are wrong.. Friendly fire happens....

I'm sure this guy has taken many showers with "turd burglars" (his words NOT mine) and doesn't even know it. What an idiot.

+1

It's so sad that many people will still be afraid to come out to their peers in the military due to hateful fools like this (the commenter, not Deia), even though DADT has "officially" ended. The end of this policy is by no means an end to hazing/violence against the LGBT community in the military. But this is still a great step in the right direction.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SC86|1316622608|3022190 said:
Deia|1316612850|3022085 said:

+1

It's so sad that many people will still be afraid to come out to their peers in the military due to hateful fools like this (the commenter, not Deia), even though DADT has "officially" ended. The end of this policy is by no means an end to hazing/violence against the LGBT community in the military. But this is still a great step in the right direction.

If 1977 is his birth year, he's only two years older than me. Which is to say, a) old enough to know better, and, b) raised in a society where his "position" has been pretty soundly rebuffed. It's just another excuse for little people to make themselves feel big at the expense of others.

Screw 'im. Progress is winning.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That moron whose comment is posted above would be pretty easily identified, especially by the sites webmaster. The internet is not anonymous!

I, for one, am SO GLAD it's finally ended. There's no reason for inequality, period. But especially not if someone is voluntarily serving.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't find his comment anymore (wanted to see if anyone had commented on what he wrote), I guess someone must have reported it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a big step but I think it will be generations before being gay is finally seen as being as insignificant as hair color, just another meaningless way that people vary.
Slavery ended almost 150 years ago but racism is STILL alive and well bubbling just under the surface in many Americans.
You may ban expressions, or actions but you can't legislate thought.

I fear that violence against gays in and out of the military will temporarily spike.
This step has put the US government's legal teeth behind the message that anti-gay "morality" is actually bigotry.
They have to change their tune and some people are pissed.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu|1316616982|3022126 said:
I can't believe it took so long.

I agree, Lulu!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny|1316626386|3022242 said:
This is a big step but I think it will be generations before being gay is finally seen as being as insignificant as hair color, just another meaningless way that people vary.
Slavery ended almost 150 years ago but racism is STILL alive and well bubbling just under the surface in many Americans.
You may ban expressions, or actions but you can't legislate thought.

I fear that violence against gays in and out of the military will temporarily spike.
This step has put the US government's legal teeth behind the message that anti-gay "morality" is actually bigotry.
They have to change their tune and some people are pissed.

While I agree with what you've written I have to say there are plenty countries who have LGBT members of their armed forces and have done for decades, where sexuality IS seen as somewhat insignificant. It is possible and it can happen. Many countries also protect sexuality as a grounds of discrimination, so people have the right not to be fired due to their sexuality, but they are also entitled to experience no other direct or indirect discrimination either. Sexuality is viewed as largely insignificant in day to day interactions in some parts of the world already. Many societies already treat anti-gay "morality" as bigotry and have a statutory framework to support that (including the designation 'hate crime' which can be charged on its own or as an aggravation of another illegal act).

I'm really heartened to see this step, but disappointed that there is no greater protection for people than just the right to stay in employment.

edited for spelling

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I was able to talk about Mr. el_mejor yesterday at work. :bigsmile: It felt so good to not have to whisper or call him my "roommate." Granted it wasn't that secret to begin with. I mean, how often does a roommate move with you to a different state for no real reason and then move back to his home town... with you. LOL

A policy change that helps protect other servicemembers like myself (there's more to this message but it's more about the process, I'll post it all if you want)

CIVIL RIGHTS PROCESS CHANGES TO SUPPORT DONT ASK DONT TELL
(DADT) REPEAL

1.THIS POLICY CHANGE PROMULGATES GUIDANCE REGARDING MILITARY MEMBERS
RIGHT TO INITIATE COMPLAINTS OF DISCRIMINATION BASED ON SEXUAL
ORIENTATION. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, MILITARY MEMBERS MAY INITIATE
SUCH COMPLAINTS USING THE EXISTING EQUAL OPPORTUNITY (EO) INFORMAL OR
PRE-COMPLAINT PROCESS.
2. PRIOR TO THE REPEAL OF 10 USC (SECTION 654), COMMONLY KNOWN AS
DADT, MILITARY MEMBERS WERE NOT PERMITTED TO SEEK REDRESS FOR
COMPLAINTS OF DISCRIMINATION BASED ON SEXUAL ORIENTATION
. NOW THAT
THE LAW HAS BEEN REPEALED, CG MILITARY MEMBERS MAY ACCESS THE
INFORMAL COMPLAINT PROCESS FOR SUCH CLAIMS. SPECIFICALLY, CG
MILITARY MEMBERS MAY CONTACT THEIR SERVICING CIVIL RIGHTS SERVICE
PROVIDERS (CRSPS), WHO, CONSISTENT WITH OTHER PREVAILING
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY, WILL OFFER COUNSELING AND ATTEMPT TO
INFORMALLY RESOLVE SUCH COMPLAINTS.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah, that makes more sense, Davi! It struck me as something of a hollow victory if there was no positive support for the people who chose to be open about their orientation, emphasised by the ugliness of the quote posted earlier, allegedly from a former Marine.

Your room mate sounds like he must be really fond of you, btw. :bigsmile:

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

This is a sigh of relief for so many soldiers that have been forced to hide their true selves for so long! Personally, I will NEVER understand how people can see the difference between a soldier who is gay and one who is not. Every man and woman out there puts his/her life on the line for this country, knowing that that there's a possibility that they may never come home. I just don't understand where sexuality affects a person's performance in the battle field.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
:appl: YAY!!! Congratulations USA!!!! :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy to hear this!!!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Although I agree that this does not end discrimination, it is another step in the right direction!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Alistra|1316800807|3023978 said:
Although I agree that this does not end discrimination, it is another step in the right direction!

Agreed! ::)

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Indeed a step in the right direction.

I was really surprised at the reaction during the Republican debate last night to the gay soldier serving in Iraq's question. The audience boo'd this soldier who is currently in active duty, whatever, who knows where they round up any audience, but the candidates' reactions were... well, check the video: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...after-gay-soldier-asks-about-dont-ask?ps=cprs

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer|1316822900|3024267 said:

I was really surprised at the reaction during the Republican debate last night to the gay soldier serving in Iraq's question. The audience boo'd this soldier who is currently in active duty, whatever, who knows where they round up any audience, but the candidates' reactions were... well, check the video: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...after-gay-soldier-asks-about-dont-ask?ps=cprs

"Leave it alone, keep it — keep it to yourself, whether you're a heterosexual or a homosexual." That would mean under his policy if a man mentions he has a wife or girlfriend, that is a violation of policy and should be discharged. I highly doubt that will happen.

I have served for 7 and a half years. I've only been able to talk about my partner of 6 and half years for 3 whole days without fear of discharge. We're still without equal benefits. If my shoe were on his foot, I think his song would change.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1316823991|3024278 said:
swimmer|1316822900|3024267 said:

"Leave it alone, keep it — keep it to yourself, whether you're a heterosexual or a homosexual." That would mean under his policy if a man mentions he has a wife or girlfriend, that is a violation of policy and should be discharged. I highly doubt that will happen.

I have served for 7 and a half years. I've only been able to talk about my partner of 6 and half years for 3 whole days without fear of discharge. We're still without equal benefits. If my shoe were on his foot, I think his song would change.

I hope the bolded is the next thing to change. And thank you for your service! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results