shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut affected by brillianteering - Eightstar diamond

DiamondSearcher2

Rough_Rock
Should I worry about a GIA report that says "Cut affected by brillianteering" when it is an Eightstar diamond?

Thanks in Advance....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An Eightstar sent to GIA? Why on earth would anyone do that?

GIA takes a strict - some might say conservative, others restrictive - stance on any "non-classic" brillianteering (girdle treatment) not inherently part of actually getting the stone cut and polished. Painting is precisely the way Eighstar achieves that distinctive look, so of course GIA takes issue with it.

ETA: tutorial here http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/NewCutGrading/Painting/ Whether or not you like the look is up to your personal preferences. I myself do not.

DiamondSearcher2

Rough_Rock
Sorry I should have been more clear in my original post. The GIA report was done BEFORE the Eightstar cutting.

So I guess my real question was after an eightstar cutting does the brillianteering note from before still apply.

PS: Thanks so much for the informative link.. amazed at the fast response on this site.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondSearcher2|1318561233|3039892 said:
Sorry I should have been more clear in my original post. The GIA report was done BEFORE the Eightstar cutting.

So I guess my real question was after an eightstar cutting does the brillianteering note from before still apply.

PS: Thanks so much for the informative link.. amazed at the fast response on this site.

The GIA report notes the condition and characteristics of the stone at that time. It tells you nothing about the condition of the stone after the date of issue. If the stone is recut or significantly altered then it becomes a different stone with different proportions, personality, form... presumably also has a different report now - you should have that new report, and that's the only one you need to worry about as it's the only one that's relevant.

DiamondSearcher2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

I guess what I was really asking was can something like brillianteering be "fixed" by getting it re-cut and from what you are saying here it sounds like the answer is yes.

Since I doubt Eightstar would have made the cut worse and even may have fixed the brillianteering issue it had before I feel better about the stone now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondSearcher2|1318562290|3039901 said:
Thanks for the input.

I guess what I was really asking was can something like brillianteering be "fixed" by getting it re-cut and from what you are saying here it sounds like the answer is yes.

Since I doubt Eightstar would have made the cut worse and even may have fixed the brillianteering issue it had before I feel better about the stone now.

I think the tutorial will clear it all up a bit more :))

Eighstar is a branded cut with a very distinctive look. They achieve that look by "brillianteering" - by manipulating the angles at which crown and pavilion facets meet at the girdle. GIA would not like this - hence my initial surprise that someone had sent an Eightstar to GIA. Obviously Eighstar does not care that GIA does not like it, and if you like the look of your Eightstar then you need not care either!

Brillianteering in this context then is the means by which the Eightstar brand has made its fame and fortune, and so it's not something bad that needs to be "fixed". And whatever the old girdle was like is now irrelevant, after the recut ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results